Chaos Dwarfs Through the Ages

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the first ever compilation of official Chaos Dwarf miniature developments through the ages!

This overview of Games Workshop and Forgeworld's various iterations of Chaos Dwarfs will take you from the very beginnings up to the present day (April 2019), and showcase the evolution of the weird and wondrous concepts embedded in Chaos Dwarfs.

This thread deals with Chaos Dwarf concepts in official miniatures. For compilation attempts at community homebrew work on Chaos Dwarfs, see Carven Images (CDO 2007-2017) and the Chaos Dwarf Culture Project.

Enjoy! :)

uyMThLg.jpg

sWCsAvk.jpg

7A031xV.jpg

9CGdV8G.jpg

Zygmund over on Warhammer Empire had this observation to share on Chaos Dwarfs as a concept:

Zygmund":umm72p2j said:
What would be even more interesting is the question why Chaos Dwarfs?

Why not Chaos Goblins, Chaos Orcs, Chaos Halflings, etc. etc.?

My guess is that Dwarfs in the Norse legends and folk beliefs are morally ambivalent, and many are outright evil. Even Tolkien makes a mention that in ME some Dwarfs were so consumed with envy that they became evil. So evil Dwarfs. Then GW made the obvious link to good Dwarfish armour, maybe even Dwarfish Chaos armour, and machines. Add an (un)healthy dosis of Punk, Giger and Cthulhu, and there you have it, I'd guess.

-Z

Chico

Great post, Chaos Dorfs have always been of high interest to me and my first ever ''completed'' WhFB army were Big Hats (I had many toys before then but never stuck with a force till I had the Chaos buggers).

Starting too fill that itch again to do another army (4th time I've had a Chaso Dorf force), maybe for AoS this time.. interesting.

Lots and lots of beautifully painted Chaos Dwarfs there! I have never owned any Chaos Dwarfs myself but I do understand the appeal of them.

Well done! In the 90s, the Chaos Dwarfs were my favourite Warhammer army -- the colour scheme and the Assyrian/Babylonian vibe really appealed to me -- and to be honest that is still my favourite era of their history. I am including one of the regular plastic "big-hat" warriors in my AoS: Skirmish Chaos warband.

Back