My Rogue Trader inspired art.

symphonicpoet

The color adds a lot. I love the general shape and feel of the beakie at the top. I love the dimension and definition the color adds to the one at the bottom. I don't think there's a fatal flaw to what you do. It's very stylized, and that will put some people off. And maybe you're style is growing and developing in ways that will help you get through to a broader audience, if that's what you want. It seems your drawings are getting a bit more definition lately, and that's a good thing. I'm surely no art expert, but I figure people will usually respond better to stuff that they can parse at least enough that it make them think rather than leaving them confused. Too much new information tends to put people off. (In music at least, listeners do not initially respond well to serialism as any relation it has to the tonality their familiar with is . . . extremely tenuous. But if there's something that gives them a handle, a catchy rhythmic element, say, it can help make it a touch more digestible. And of course, as people slowly get a little more familiar with something they can dig into things that were previously more distant from them and potentially find value there.)

This is all a little off topic, but I think you have some interesting stuff there and I'd be happy to see more of it on here. And I'd love to see where you go as you keep experimenting. The color is a great addition.

knobgobbler

Oh! I really like this style you've got!
For whatever reason it really takes me back to when I was first looking at the Rogue Trader rulebook. There was a much more 'industrial' feel to it than what came later. I never imagined a heavy metal soundtrack, for me it would have been some Skinny Pupply, Ministry, NiN, etc. ... with lots of atonal bangings on pipes and beams... sounds of vast hollow spaces.
Also, your art reminds me of old silent German films... Metropolis, Caligari and Dr. Mabuse.

Great stuff, I hope you'll show more!

Sleepysod

some of these look like they are straight out of the original rulebook - the first colour one is very effective

Plaiecivile

This one has to be your best drawing so far from my point of view!
It has been a while that you develop your skills with that technique but now you seem to get more in control.
The picture is dark but the grain and the direction of the lines gives a very good sense of the textures and depth suggested.

Keep up the good work!

AranaszarSzuur":2viwavmz said:
Wh40k Rogue Trader:
All of it GRIMDARK Imperium - Not Aspirational TM
11abdb18b16cd6030cbe1ab48e5399278104089d.png

Was quite absent because I was busy trying to create social media following. Turned out I can't even get enough donations to cover the material costs so I started trying to learn programming. Didn't work out well, so I'm back to the drawing board.

But why am I putting so much effort into learning drawing?

So, the problem is that the society wants me dead for being disabled, please help:

Here is shortened version of where I’m coming from:
The society’s war against me:
Stage 1:
Betrayal and financial abuse by father and traitors from family courts that cooperated with him.
Results:
Poverty in childhood, fear of rejection, violent reaction to rejection, high stress.
Stage 2:
Racism and bullying at kindergarten and school:
Results:
Social anxiety, lots of anger, fear of sudden movements.
Stage 3:
Being targeted by two psychological abusers in the end of primary school:
Insomnia, IBS, obsessive thoughts regarding enemies, school phobia, worsened concentration, worsened memory, fear of conflicts, attacks of rage (the last only stopped with help of mindfulness of breath meditation), getting ill often, etc.
At this stage I was already disabled, never had normal school attendance again - I think max was about 75%, my grades have tanked due to worsened cognitive abilities and attendance, etc.
At age of 19 I was declared not fit for work by psychiatrist but haven’t received any disability pension or any compensation for being perfidiously deprived of my mental and physical health by the society.
Stage 4:
Being repeatedly attacked by neo-nazis on streets.
Results:
Desire to exterminate my biological enemies, stress about enablers of my enemies, violent nightmares every night for two years, hyper-vigilance, etc.

I never managed to finish college or keep a job for more than a month and couldn’t get a job or internship since I had to drop out of college due to poverty and health problems back in the end of 2012.

I’m unable to work or attend school since I injured my lower back in 2014 and I have to lie down every few hours to avoid it getting worse again.

I was only helping in my mother’s home business and there was already not enough work for me, since, like, 2011. Now it got much worse.

They want me dead for it. They always wanted me dead. So please, help.
https://ko-fi.com/illuminationsofeternalwarfare
Longer version:
https://illuminations-of-eternal-warfar ... 49/my-lore

Last edited:

Loose Loser

I think you shouldn't learn how to program. That's completely different set of logic than that of artist. Not to mention for someone who draws or paint it's absolute non rewarding since all you watch all day is lines and lines and lines of code. Final product is rewarding but until then...

You should get ZBrush ( if you got PC strong enough, RAMs and CPU are main factor ) since you got tablet. Good thing is that most studios lowered their standards so you could get a job with not that much of a skill.

Also if you intend to continue with drawings you must know that you ( or anybody else ) can't learn how to draw. Drawing is more of thinking game with tricks. Just look John Blanches drawings and start to read them. But don't read too much because you don't have time for that.

Gel pens are expensive for this style of yours. You should switch to pencil or to black and white ink. You also should find little more patience and calmness because, as you saw on drawings Rees made. Fast but calm. If it's in your hand, that anger and speed then, you could try bigger format and attack it in "cobra" style hehe

This is all you could try, not you should do it.

symphonicpoet

I'm a musician, not a visual artist, but if music is any indication I believe you can learn to draw, and in fact are rapidly doing so, or more or less already have. You've improved a thousand fold since your first early drawings. I'm no great judge, but it seems clear to me that you're practicing in the way that's necessary. You've clearly got some stylistic touchstones you aspire to. You're working on the building block techniques and not just the big forms. You've got a good eye. Keep it up. Maybe try selling your originals rather than looking for donors? I don't see any reason you couldn't sell drawings here in the Marketplace under private sales/trades, for instance, though maybe there's something in the rules I need to study up. Or you could sell on a platform like Deviant Art or maybe even Etsy. It's a hard way to make a living. A friend of mine sells pastels and enters them in contests and sells them in galleries in Chicago and throughout the Midwest of the United States. I gather you really have to flog your stuff and get out there, but folks manage it; selling at art shows and in galleries. Start local, maybe? See if there's a gallery in your area that sells stuff you like and see if they like your stuff? Not quite sure. I'm offering advice that's out of my league, but I think you have a good eye and you seem to have discipline. Keep at it.

twisted moon

have you thought of offering art packs on wargame vault / drivethrurpg, with a license to allow others to use them in their products? gets some (probably very little) money in, and gives your work more exposure.

Loose Loser

I don't think you can learn how to draw or play guitar or similar because I don't think there is line that you cross. In sense that you can play guitar but technically not even close to Django Reinhardt ( or playing piano as Nancarrow haha ) but better then someone that just picked up guitar. You know all the strings and all those neck levels ( sorry not guitar player :lol: ) but then where is the problem? You know as much as those guys so how come one can't play like those guys? Even after years and years of playing. Or for drawing example, you learn how to shadow and all little stuff about theories but why is there any problem to draw like Beksinski or Vrankic? Shadows are there, lines are there and everything else is there ( I mean you can produce same shadows ) so how come most people can't get even close. They all know how to draw yes? That's why I think you can't learn because there isn't anything to learn, nothing significant. You simply take whatever tool or instrument and then you develop. All that you could be taught is how to hold pencil and even that you could jump over. Teachers got little advises and trick and then you got feeling that you're learning something but all you get is plenty of shortcuts and in process you don't even got proper trail and error. Theory is one thing and practice is other. Perception of things that are in ones head and thinking game is everything. Those are most important ingredients to make something creative.

As symphonicpoet said, start local or you could try to exhibit on group exhibitions around the world. There is plenty of galleries that organize group exhibitions.

Also as twisted moon said, things like that could get you sitting job or contract as freelancer ( even freelancer sometimes got year contract or project contract ). Artstation is other nice place to show. Many producers and seniors are looking those pages. But if I can be frank with you. There is no person that would hire someone that openly got war against humans haha really, you shouldn't write those things, those things are for "inside my head". Everybody got them to some extent. You should ( now it's should not could ) expose art alone not personal things.

EDIT : My word, can I "talk" or what?! hehe

maryangelyn

I really love your technique, buddy. You know, I wish I could draw so well too. Though I’m currently learning how to draw, I’m not sure I’ll ever master it, actually. I’m a graphic designer, and I decided to get a new skill a few months ago. So I picked a drawing skill and as I’ve said I don’t think I’ll ever succeed in it. Actually, it all began when I saw these caricature pictures https://www.photolamus.com/order-caricature-drawing-online. I liked them so much that I decided to learn how to draw them. Eventually, I drew some works, but I didn’t like them. I should give it up. Anyway, I wish you good luck. Keep it going!!

Back