40k 8th Edition

TheLion

Hello

Apologies up front for this question as it's not retro at all.

I started my tabletop gaming with the release of RT and fondly remember skirmishing on my bedroom carpet. We had to cut squares out if cereal boxes to represent the miniatures due to a lack of funds and employed dried peas to represent the footprints of any buildings. Probably the best era as far as I'm concerned.

Having played all editions apart from seventh, I'm finding 8th to be really dumbed down. The absence of vehicle fire arcs, walking out of combat with no reprecussion, rediculous cover mechanics, being able to hit targets you cant even see...

What's the general opinion on this ruleset?

JonAtron

I have a love hate vibe for it. I love the simplicity of it in that I can remember 90% of the rules in my head and just play a game with most people. It's an 'arcade abstract version' of its former self. It is very basic in many ways as by its design and simplification for the masses, which cause a few nuances that need getting used too (some of which are just stupid.) There are a few things that just downright piss me off about it, some of which you have said. But then you can in theory play a game against a very wide demographic of age group and not get into an argument over cover saves, LoS and template placements. Swings and roundabouts. Simple rules does not mean a simple game however, take backgammon, chess or the The Royal Game of Ur. Its just not, I don't know, like previous editions. Which for those wanting depth of roleplay and/or tactical details, you'll go hungry. But at least you can find someone these days quite easily to have an 'enjoyable' game with.

Trouble is if you are like me. I have an RT army because I love it and grew up with the figures. I play 8th edition with it because that is what the people play here. So I have to play 8th edition. There is of course 30k horus heresy which is more about details and rules, firing arcs, LoS, etc but the unit structures are not RT or 8th edition friendly. So I can't play that. There are no Oldhammerites near me so. Good or bad, 8th it is.

Berkut666

Recently got a set of the 8th edition rules for free from a local company I purchase miniatures from (I had been in buying some vehicles for Bolt Action for myself and an X-Wing 2.0 box set for the oldest son Xmas) I asked they guy why he had so many, his answer was quite interesting and I think gives you an idea of why they are so dumbed down.

Basically GW was giving them away as a gateway product and means to an end to sell minis. He stated that out of all the companies he is a supplier for GW are the one that feels like it’s just a minatures/model supplier rather than a war game company. All the other companies put the rules/games first and the minis second, it it’s the other way round with GW.

I played 1 game of 8th edition over the holidays and I agree it’s massivly dulled down and felt very much like a get to the middle and roll dice rather than something with any tactical depth. I didn’t like it (personally second edition is where it’s at for me) but I didn’t dilike it either. If it was my first ever war game it would have hooked me in to find out more about the hobby.

However my oldest son (nearly 11 but basically Kevin the teenager) loved it. It got him interested in the Warhammer fluff and we spent a few hours afterwards going through most my GW stuff (40k, WHFB, Epic, Bloodbowl) and he was genuinely interested. Something I have failed to do thus far myself beyond one game of BB and him helping when I have played Epic against a few people. So I guess it’s given me a glimmer of hope for the future......

GW have to compete with the instant gratification given from consoles, the internet, apps etc so I can see why they have done it. If they kept on making deep tactical or complex games the only people they could potentially sell minis to are the people on here who will read this!

TheLion

I totally agree that GW are using 8th as a tool to sell more miniatures. Primaris marines not able to use any vehicle apart from the Repulsor is stupid and obviously designed to force more sales of said tank/transport.

The game is definitely tactically lacking. Outmanoeuvring a vehicle is pointless as it can fire all weapons from any point on the hull! So recreating a narrative tank battle where you want to outmaoeuvre your opponent is pointless.

I'm finding the ruleset quite frustrating and find myself spending more time with a copy of RT in hand remiscing about the good old days :)

Berkut666

Just use 8th edition to get players into war games and then say “hey why don’t we try RT or some other GW stuff and see how you like it?” That’s what I am doing with the oldest son. Interestingly my wife like BB but did not like 8th edition. She thought it was to simple and unrealistic

BobbiJay

My Godson got a trip to GW to stare at (and maybe buy a couple) minis for Christmas. He found his way into gaming through 8th edition after seeing his Dad and I playing Blood Bowl and Epic, and our various collected fantasy stuff. He liked 8th, we then weaned him onto 2nd edition 40K and we're hoping Epic and Fantasy soon too.

Anyway, back to the GW trip - he looked at the new models, and said he didn't want any of the new stuff as it didn't look as good as the things old stuff we had painted up. I've never been so proud! 8th certainly seems like a good 'gateway', like the old Mighty Warriors and Kerrrunch! boxed games, but I've noticed that when they're exposed to other stuff, pretty much everyone wants to do something else.

Berkut666

Got to say I have a lot of time for Epic. I love the rules, the scale and the large scale battles. I left war gaming for nearly 20 years and it was Epic that originally got me back into it

annagul

I played two games and I really don't like it. The core rules are very streamlined, and I think it's good, but it's a false sensation. There are too much interaction with too much special rules, too much stratagems, too much lack of chrome. I had the sensation that I'm playing Magic The Gathering with minis, or an eurogame. I think the system is designed to discover the perfect combo.

I feel like the rules have no taste, it's a strange sensation. When I play RT/2nd ed, the background is in the first place and then the rules are written in order to explain that narrative fact. In 8th, it's like the maths are first and then the rules designers write a background for that rule.

My favorite edition still is RT/2nd. For a modern wargame with a very good rules system, I have Antares, which have a good taste of 2nd ed.

Orjetax

I like seeing the love for second edition in this thread.

I like it better than RT (*ducks for safety*).

No insight on the actual point of your thread, haven’t played 8th. Would try if a friend was into it, but I’d pick 2nd or RT if I had a GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back