Games Day '95, Talisman luminous plastics?

Juxt

Seeing GW's newly re-adopted trend of putting out coloured plastics reminded me of a vague memory...At one of the stalls at a mid-90's Games Day/Golden Demon, a bunch of 3rd edition Talisman plastic sprues were handed/tossed out into the crowd. Nothing unusual there, but the plastics were all weird luminous or day-glo type colours, perhaps test runs to see what plastics were possible at the time? I remember getting a luminous pink dwarf (slayer?)which I traded with a friend for a bright purple dark elf swordsman. These are long lost to the sands of time, but I was wondering if anyone's ever come across mention of these early coloured plastics, or even just pictures of them?

I know years later they did chromed plastic marines and necrons, but I don't remember seeing any of these lurid coloured 4th ed warhammer plastics on the net at any point.

Were they literally "tossed" into the crowd, like bread at a Roman gladiatorial event? Given how much I value those particular miniatures, I find that quite alarming. I suppose back then they weren't so rare.

Never seen or heard anything about that. I've seen those miniatures in only two shades -- a light grey, and an even lighter, almost whitish-grey.

Juxt":14lcgj1a said:
I was wondering if anyone's ever come across mention of these early coloured plastics, or even just pictures of them?

Not those models in particular, but I do remember seeing some highly coloured test sprues knocking around in the studio on someone's desk back in the early 90s. No idea of the reason for their existence, but it could be that they were just mould approval tests for new sprues and so the plastics company just used whatever colour they currently had loaded into the machine.

Juxt

Stormbringer":3e9pzobz said:
Were they literally "tossed" into the crowd, like bread at a Roman gladiatorial event? Given how much I value those particular miniatures, I find that quite alarming. I suppose back then they weren't so rare.

Yep, literally tossed into the crowd. I think there was a bell/klaxon to alert people that free models were about to be given out, then they were scattered among the braying crowds.

dieselmonkey":3e9pzobz said:
Not those models in particular, but I do remember seeing some highly coloured test sprues knocking around in the studio on someone's desk back in the early 90s. No idea of the reason for their existence, but it could be that they were just mould approval tests for new sprues and so the plastics company just used whatever colour they currently had loaded into the machine.

Aah, that would make perfect sense- I suppose that a bright colour would also make it visibly obvious to staff in the offices that they were prototypes/samples/ proofs rather than production approved models.

The bright colours would also help you see them as you trampled on, brawled with, and crushed everyone else in your vicinity, while you desperately scrambled to collect the full set of Talisman miniatures from among the writhing bodies of the heaving mob.

Back