Self publishing rules

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Self publishing rules

Hi all,

Just a general question to eveyone about self publishing wargames rules. I am looking into using Amazons self publishing facility and wondered if anyone had any experience of using it? I have purchased several books myself by writers who have used it and they seem ok but they have all been purely black and white inside. According to amazon you do have the option of full colour but im not sure how the quality will look, in particular for artwork and photographs of models etc. Also not sure on how the publishing rights work. If anyone has any experience it would be greatly appreciated! A lot of the info on line seems to be in regards to novels and the like, im not sure its the right way to put out a set of wargames rules...

Tom

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Self publishing rules

Hi Tom

I don't know about Amazon's publishing tools, but given you have a decent knowledge of desktop publishing it's not too hard to get your rules in print. There are several companies in the UK that will do printing at a reasonable cost, I'd recommend speaking to 4Edge. The tricky bit is getting them noticed! Not sure if Amazon will help you with that. I have self-published 3 books (2 rulesets and an expansion) in the last 3 years and I mostly sell at games shows and through independent retailers, very little online (and convincing an indie retailer to take stock of your books isn't that straightforward either!). I'm now at a point where my first ruleset is running low on stock and am looking to put out a second edition so I am contemplating approaching a wargames publisher to see if they would be interested in taking it on or joining with a larger wargames company to see if they would help with promotion.

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Don't know about Amazon, but I've used RPGNow/Wargames Vault successfully before, and it gives a decent physical copy, with options for B+W, colour covers or full colour interior.

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks Fimm thats some good info! I'll check out 4edge and see what I think. As far as I can tell the advantage of amazon is it is a print on demand service and the cost of the printing is deducted off the cost of the book when it sells. This has advantages and disadvantages, I need to look into all avenues before making any rash choices! Thanks again for taking time to reply,

Cheers,

Tom

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Seconded RPGNow/Wargames Vault. I've had a few sales through their platforms (pdf downloads) but they're quite saturated and it's hard to stand out.

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks guys! I will give them a good look tonight when i get home.....

Cheers,

Tom

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Another quick question while i'm here. If I used photographs of miniatures from my own collection in self published rules would I need permission from the figure manufacturers to use pictures of their models? Or is it a case of just crediting the companies? I would hate to be on the wrong end of a GW law suit!!! :(

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 pm

PantherV wrote:Another quick question while i'm here. If I used photographs of miniatures from my own collection in self published rules would I need permission from the figure manufacturers to use pictures of their models? Or is it a case of just crediting the companies? I would hate to be on the wrong end of a GW law suit!!! :(

Definitely ask for permission. Although GW will probably decline, I would assume the other smaller companies would appreciate the exposure.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:23 am

SamusDrake wrote:
Definitely ask for permission. Although GW will probably decline, I would assume the other smaller companies would appreciate the exposure.

Definitely my experience. GW get funny about their minis being used in publications, other companies like the publicity but always ask, get permission and credit the company before using.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks guys, as I thought. Problem is most of my figures are old citadel! Looks like ive got a lot of painting to do!!!
Next

Return to General Discussions