Been starting with 40k...

Brandocles

I've been at lengths messing with whether Rogue Trader or 3e are the best-in-show, as I hate the design conceits of 3rd edition, but have Tau and Necrons at that rate. I do have Squats, though. What's a fella to do for optimal oldschool 40k enjoyment?

Brandocles":269dcthh said:
What's a fella to do for optimal oldschool 40k enjoyment?

Mash the rules. Work something out to include Tau and Necrons but use RT rules. It's not like you're entering GW tournaments, do what you like, it's what RT was all about!

Orjetax

Been playing 2nd ed now at loving it.

Hits the right mix for me.

Never played third.

Very much like RT, but I feel I don’t have the density of terrain I’d like for a really great RT game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandocles

I appreciate the suggestions. I certainly would prefer the older rules-sets for presence of Squats, just gotta figure out how them Choppers and Ancestor Lords go there.

Orjetax

Brandocles":12vo9ar4 said:
I appreciate the suggestions. I certainly would prefer the older rules-sets for presence of Squats, just gotta figure out how them Choppers and Ancestor Lords go there.

Glad to toss ideas at you.

I don’t think I understand your statement about Choppers and Ancestor Lords?

By the way, there are a couple fan codices for second edition Tau out there, and necrons I believe had a (limited) second edition army list

And if you’re doing RT even easier. No pressure to get the points “even.” And you can use the points calculator to get an approximation for your necrons and Tau.

Brandocles

I simply meant that the RT book didn't give me the rules for the bikers for Squats to my knowledge...

Still mostly admiring the book as yet, I guess. :)

Orjetax

Brandocles":36lwi2v2 said:
I simply meant that the RT book didn't give me the rules for the bikers for Squats to my knowledge...

Still mostly admiring the book as yet, I guess. :)

Ah! I understand now.

Looks like the rogue trader vehicle manual had those.

51569d625033c92426df45f35ae27a99.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Eek! I'd avoid the later RT stuff. ;)

If you want to just stick to the main rulebook, the Bikes are on p102.

The Squat Bikes are in the RT Compedium, - they're the same as a Basic bike, except a Sv5 and a W2 or W6 if it is a Guild Trike. The Living Ancestors and Squat Exo Armor are in there too, but if you want to just use RT, then the Psyker and Powered Armour rules will work fine.

Tau and Necrons, no idea! The best way would be to get the codexes that use the core Warhammer rules (7th?) and back-convert to RT using the PV system on p.58 - RT is built for modding and tinkering.

If you do end up converting Tau and Necron to Rogue Trader rules (a worthy idea; the more the merrier), then don't hesitate to share the results. There may always be others who can find a use for them. Best of luck, whatever you decide on doing!

Suber

I recall those fanmade Tau rules for 2nd Ed., but I have no idea of where to look for them nowadays. 2nd Ed could be a nice starting point, but if you are more into RT, be sure that everything can fit in that :)

Back