Oldhammer Shields ?

Orjetax

Need some recommendations from the group -

I’ve started buying Olley beastmen.

Now I need shields because it turns out they’ve all got those darn pegs for them.

Anyone know of any funky, Oldhammer style shields that can be purchased?

I thought I remembered a kickstarter with some funky orc/goblin type shields with faces on them, but couldn’t locate them again.

Curious to hear any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shieldwall are/will be releasing some: https://www.facebook.com/shieldwalldesi ... 8528474600

Good luck to 'em, but I must admit to having always hated those type of shield, I always cut the shield boss off the figure and glued full shields on instead.

There are some really interesting (and cheap!) historical shields out there, I used metal Han Chinese ones for my 100-strong Nightmare legion, for example:

IMG_4151.JPG

Orjetax

These are good ideas! I hadn’t considered looking for historical options.

Just John - thanks for the offer! I’m in the US, so I suspect the shipping wouldn’t make sense.

Orjetax

Like those dark ages shields, too.

Here’s what I ended up ordering.

These came from Knightmare Miniatures.

373e419d38cb7015cd111156e2ce70a1.jpg

Orjetax

What’s generally considered the better practice - fully painting the model, painting the shield separately, then gluing?

Or gluing then painting all together?

Outsider

Orjetax":2k5xynqe said:
What’s generally considered the better practice - fully painting the model, painting the shield separately, then gluing?

Personally I prefer to paint the shields and miniature separately, then use PVA glue to stick it onto the model to avoid damage and prevent damage to the paint job.

As for the topic of the Citadel shields, i'm going to try an experiment. I have a ton of the em4 plastic shields and I'm going to drill a hole in the center, then see how they look on some old citadel minis I've just picked up when they arrive.

Orjetax":23nw54vs said:

I personally prefer to glue as much as possible before painting. In the case of my Half-Orc unit, six of them needed shields attached. With five of them I glued on the shield before priming, but with one of them (the one to the left in the picture) I will wait until I have finished painting his legs and arms, since these areas will be hard to reach once the shield has been attached. (By the way, I have painted most of his shield already, but will need to paint the "tap" once it has been attached).

The Half-Orc to the right in the picture his holding his shield in a way that makes it pretty easy to reach both his arm and the backside of his shield, even though the shield was glued on prior to the priming.

The Half-Orcs have been primed with black, so it's actually not that much of a problem if there are hard-to-reach areas behind the shield, as these areas will just be "read" as a sort of shade. If I had primed them white, however, I would probably prefer to paint as much of each model and each shield before gluing these on to avoid white areas showing behind the shields.

Attachments

• Half-Orcs with and without shield.jpg
    Half-Orcs with and without shield.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,750

Fimm McCool

Outsider":38zptqon said:
Personally I prefer to paint the shields and miniature separately, then use PVA glue to stick it onto the model to avoid damage and prevent damage to the paint job.

With PVA? Don't they just fall straight off any time you breathe on them?

Outsider

Fimm McCool":33boozjf said:
Outsider":33boozjf said:

With PVA? Don't they just fall straight off any time you breathe on them?

I use plastic shields that are fairly light weight and a fair bit of the PVA. Seems to work alright so far. If they start falling off, I'll probably go for something stronger.

tjgreenway

Orjetax":1z51tmmy said:
Like those dark ages shields, too.

Here’s what I ended up ordering.

These came from Knightmare Miniatures.

373e419d38cb7015cd111156e2ce70a1.jpg

Loving these shields, I think I'll pick some up for my heroes - actually, I'm loving the whole range of Greenskins on there. I think I may have just found a new money sink for what was supposed to be a small band of Orcs and Gobbo's to use for narrative gaming :lol:

I've been on the hunt as well after realising that a lot of the late 80's/early 90's Orcs have these pegs on them - my solution is to practice my sculpting skills and try making my own. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post up here soon :)

Fimm McCool

tjgreenway":1heoaql1 said:
actually, I'm loving the whole range of Greenskins on there. I think I may have just found a new money sink for what was supposed to be a small band of Orcs and Gobbo's to use for narrative gaming :lol:

Yeah, Diego did well picking up those Kev Adams sculpts when Crooked Claw folded.

Orjetax

Fimm McCool":1oyilqpx said:
tjgreenway":1oyilqpx said:
actually, I'm loving the whole range of Greenskins on there. I think I may have just found a new money sink for what was supposed to be a small band of Orcs and Gobbo's to use for narrative gaming :lol:

Yeah, Diego did well picking up those Kev Adams sculpts when Crooked Claw folded.

Like the old school vibe of Diego’s company.
Feel like I’ve missed a bunch of things they’ve done. I guess they weren’t posted here and I whiff on things not in the corner of the hobby Internet I frequent.

Did he have Chaos style shields as well at some point?

Fimm McCool

There were some that came with one of the pantheon of chaos kickstarters. I much prefer the greenskins to the chaos stuff.

Tex

It looks like he is about to launch a new Greenskin Wars KS: I've seen some of the new minis on fb and can't wait to get them

Dooz

dieselmonkey":3pk0nj81 said:
Shieldwall are/will be releasing some: https://www.facebook.com/shieldwalldesi ... 8528474600

Good luck to 'em, but I must admit to having always hated those type of shield, I always cut the shield boss off the figure and glued full shields on instead.

There are some really interesting (and cheap!) historical shields out there, I used metal Han Chinese ones for my 100-strong Nightmare legion, for example:

IMG_4151.JPG

love those shield, just received my box of nightmare legion yesterday. Want those shields, seem they are not han but qin though :)
https://1stcorps.co.uk/product/wp06-qin-large-shields/

Thx for inspiration

Orjetax

It turns out that Warmonger miniatures has some “beastmen shields” that would have worked well also.

Back