The Greatest Battle Report of 2017: Voting

Which of these is the Greatest Batrep of 2017?

• 1. Meeting by the Standing Stones - Golgfag

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 2. Pitch Invasion - Nico

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 3. Trouble at Fur Traders Hut - vonkortez

• 4. Graveskul, Hit the Beach! - airbornegrove26

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 5. The Eternal Champions Gathering - Asslessman

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 6. Shadows Under Bogenhaced - Asslessman

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 7. Guramm's Last Stand - Iannick

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 8. The Hellgate - Katsuhiko JiNNai

• 9. Project Iowa Episode 9: Knockout punch - SymphonicPoet

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 10. Tilea #8 - Padre

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zhu Bajie

file.php

The nominations are in for the Greatest Battle Report of 2017. We have 10 amazing finalists going head-to-head in an all out bloodbath to claim the ultimate accolade. Each battle report has been expertly crafted from the finest old-school lead, rules and sensibility to produce tales of bravery, madness, heroics, strategy, tactics and blunders on the tabletop.

Now is time to mobilise your base, spread the word and raise the vote-count for your favourite Battle Report of 2017 like the Lichemaster raises the dead. There can be only one!

Top 10 Battle Reports 2017

1. Meeting by the Standing Stones - Golgfag
2. Pitch Invasion - Nico
3. Trouble at Fur Traders Hut -vonkortez
4. Graveskul, Hit the Beach! - airbornegrove26
5. The Eternal Champions Gathering - Asslessman
6. Shadows Under Bogenhaced - Asslessman
7. Guramm's Last Stand - Iannick
8. The Hellgate - Katsuhiko JiNNai
9. Project Iowa Episode 9: Knockout punch - SymphonicPoet
10. Tilea #8: The Battle of the Via Diocleta - Padre

Padre

Hello moderators ... I accidentally voted for myself (stupid clumsy fingers and fiddly phone). Is there a way to remove my apparently selfish vote?

Zhu Bajie

Padre - there is no shame in voting for yourself! :grin:

I did set the poll to allow re-voting, in case people changed their minds, so you should be able to change your vote.

Padre

Done. (Yes, there is shame in voting for yourself ... I felt its force fully it when I realised I had accidentally done so!)

It now occurs to me, however, that you might have created an interesting system whereby as the due date approaches people could start swapping votes tactically! Although why they would do so evades me.

Zhu Bajie

Glad you're enjoying them Fimm. Some fantastic stuff out there.

Padre":2uyd72z4 said:
Done. (Yes, there is shame in voting for yourself ... I felt its force fully it when I realised I had accidentally done so!)

Maybe, but I think people tend to judge themselves more harshly than others do. Glad you managed to switch your vote.

Padre":2uyd72z4 said:
It now occurs to me, however, that you might have created an interesting system whereby as the due date approaches people could start swapping votes tactically! Although why they would do so evades me.

Maybe if there is little hope of the batrep originally voted for winning, a swapping the vote to a secondarily favoured one. To be honest I was just indulging my indecisiveness.

Padre

I'm a little bit perplexed by the link to my Tilea campaign - the one listed takes folk to the start of the campaign, posted in 2014, and to background stories. Yet if the link viewtopic.php?p=85876#p85876 was used that would take you to a battle report that was actually created in 2017 (both of which is what the poll is about). I am concerned people will be clicking the link and thing "What's that got to do with this competition?"

Zhu Bajie

Apologies. I just went with the link Sprinkes gave with the nomination, and figured people would work it out from there. Have changed the link in the post to: viewtopic.php?p=85876#p85876 and added the title The Battle of the Via Diocleta to the main post. I can't update the poll without wiping out all the votes, else I'd have done it there too.

Padre

Thanks for that Zhu. But I couldn't find that link for a while and thought something had gone wrong ... because I was using the link next to the vote and that is still a link to the old 2014 start of the campaign.

To be honest though, it doesn't matter at this stage.

Zhu Bajie

Ha! It's quite exciting to see the votes climb up and great to revisit these works of art and literature in the cold winter nights.

I have become a little concerned what to do in the case of a draw. Do an Alan Sugar and declare two winners? or some kind of sudden death penalty shoot out. Ideally I suppose the armies of the two winning entries would fight each other to determine the victor.

Any sensible (or otherwise) suggestions?

In the case of a tie, as the adjudicator of the competition, do the following:

1. Take the tied entry that was nominated first. Treat this one as having the higher Initiative.

2. Take the final number of votes for each tied contestant and treat these as the contestants' Weapon Skill.

3. Roll 1D6 for the contestant with the highest Initiative. If the die rolls the required 'To Hit' score, this contestant has won the competition.

4. If the die roll for the contestant with the highest Initiative does not meet the 'To Hit' requirement, roll for the contestant with the next highest Initiative. If they succeed, they have won the competition.

As this is a friendly competition, no 'To Wound' rolls are required for victory.

Zhu Bajie

Very well done to all the nominees, so many great entries, dramatically photographed and presented with exciting scenarios, detailed accounts of derring do and mayhem, each of them very much deserving recognition on their own merits. Thanks to everyone who took part, not only in writing up their battle reports, nominating them but also voting - no easy feat with so many great entries to choose from. But in the end, there could be only one.

So it is with great pleasure I announce Nicos Pitch Invasionas the Greatest Battle Report of 2017. A very well deserved win, with a unique and interesting premise, clearly documented with great scenery, costumes, gamers having fun and a dramatic battle to the end. Congratulations Nico!

Nico

Yep Zhu! Very well done to all the nominees, lots of great entries.
I'm very pround to wind this first "Greatest Battle Report of the year" and I hope there will be many more.

Lot of effort to achieved this project and this prize is very appreciated 8-)

Thank you!!

I found this too late to vote; do any of those feature The Empire, or the Orcs and Goblins? Also, for this rusty wargamer, what constitutes "OldHammer"; 5th Ed. and older? Or is 6th Ed. included as well?

Golgfag1

Noble Korhedron":1irtut9a said:
I found this too late to vote; do any of those feature The Empire, or the Orcs and Goblins? Also, for this rusty wawrgamer, what constitutes "OldHammer"; 5th Ed. and older? Or is 6th Ed. included as well?

Here's a can of worms - but to be honest in my opinion - it's more a case of the spirit the games played in, than the game itself so a straight stand-up fight between two equal forces across a table, really isn't going to cut it; its really got to have a narrative, hopefully with multiple tasks for the players to complete during the course of the game, and if multiple players are taking part - as much back stabbing and rescuing of damsels etc as possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1

Back