What's strapped to Sir Bryan of Linby's back?

Sir Bryan of Linby

sir_bryan_linby_1.jpg

Anyone have this Bob Naismith figure and if so, what's on its back? Is that buckle part of a sword belt strapped to his back or for something else? All the eBay pics are of the front.

Golgfag1

I don't have the figure, but would assume because of the type of sword he's carrying (bastard) that it's simply his baldric attached to the scabbard; he carries his sword on his back and draws the sword from over his shoulder, thus avoiding dragging the sword on the ground and makes drawing the sword easier to draw due, to its length.

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1":2veaggrl said:
I don't have the figure, but would assume because of the type of sword he's carrying (bastard) that it's simply his baldric attached to the scabbard; he carries his sword on his back and draws the sword from over his shoulder, thus avoiding dragging the sword on the ground and makes drawing the sword easier to draw due, to its length.

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1
I think it's a scabbard too, as it makes sense, but it could also be a backpack. :|

An hand and a half, long or bastard sword would be suspended from the waist and wouldn't drag on the ground. Unlike fantasy, swords were merely conveyed on the back between engagements, as it's rather difficult to draw from the back, especially if it's longer than one's arm.

Drawing Sword From The Back - Is It Possible?

The figure is wielding what looks like a double-handed armored dueling or judicial sword, the kind seen in Vadi's De Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi.

368px-Cod.1324_27v.jpg

Leromides

The shield on the version I have is cast on so couldn't be easily removed. I think the figure shares it's roots with this one so Isuppose there might be a version without the shield but my understanding was that it was an homage to Bryan Ansell hence the citadel logo heraldry.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,678
Explains why it's called Bryan, but what's the Linby connection, other than being in Nottinghamshire?

The base line figure, not so great, as it lacks the character of the modified version, but your paint job has convinced me to pick one up later, though not for my Tilean swordsmen - ordering Perry oval shields, as I'm inspired by Carpaccio's St. Ursula paintings.

Linby would be of use in a Master of the Citadel scenario, though I'd need a sinister looking Tom Kirby figure... :lol:

Back