Identifying orignal designs for early Citadel...

Zhu Bajie

Many of the early Citadel Fantasy Tribes and Fiend Factory pieces were based on creatures designed for D&D and
published in White Dwarf before being made into minis. For example...

FF13-1 Bonesnapper

200px-Bonesnapper.JPG

White Dwarf #6 (April 1978) invented by Ian Livingstone and illustrated by Alan Hunter, and later appeared in the Fiend Folio.

463px-FFimage24.jpg

and here's another:

FTG4 - Gnoll Chief

russn.jpg

Russ Nicholson WD 24 April/May 1981 for an article by Lew Pulsipher on D&D - although the mini was advertised slightly prior to the publication of that pic.

tumblr_m8p7u0cKbl1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

In a bizarre twist of fate, Russ drew the miniature based on his drawing to illustrate miniatures in Dicing With Dragons (1982)

chap_5_miniature_figures__.jpg

and another :)

FF30-3 Zombie

Coffer_corpse.JPG

Coffer Corpse, invented by Simon Eaton, illustrated by Russ Nicholson - White Dwarf #8 (August 1978)

373px-FFimage51.jpg

Has anyone already compiled a list they would like to share? or help identify match the figures to their original art?

There were loads Zhu e.g.:

P. 15 Bloodworm

FFimage10.jpg

P. 17 Carbuncle

FFimage16.jpg

p. 21 Crabman

FFimage6.jpg

p. 22 Dark Creeper:

FFimage114.jpg

p. 25 Styx Devil:

FFimage52.jpg

p. 26 Devil Dog:

FFimage18.jpg

p. 35 Eye of Fear and Flame:

FFimage116.jpg

etc lots more - is that the kind of stuff you're after?

The chap on the cover of the Fiend Folio also exists as a miniature. P. 31 of the first citadel compendium, towards the top, next to the word "wraiths"

Zhu Bajie

Cheers Steve, that's a great help, and great catch on the Githyanki Wraith BTW.

Interesting to notice how different the Alan Hunter based miniatures seem to be in comparison to the Russ Nicholson based ones. Do you know who sculpted what?

Zhu Bajie

A few visual references:

Carbuncle (Alan Hunter illo created by Albie Fiore) WD8
DIN-Carbuncle.jpg

Bloodworm (Alan Hunter illo created by Ian Livingstone Creation ) WD12
Giant_bloodworm.JPG

Crabman (illo Alan Hunter created by Ian Livingstone)...

Crabmen.JPG

WD?? here's an interesting chap, I can't find any reference to him in White Dwarf - so it is potentially a Citadel original that Ian added into the Fiend Folio (1981)? Or I'm just missing the ref.

Dark Creeper ( illo Russ Nicholson -created by Rik Shepard) WD??

Dark_creeper.JPG

Again can't find a WD reference, but the miniature is definately based on the Russ Nicholson drawing, as he did an earlier version which he then changed... http://russnicholson.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -yore.html

A good overview of the WD monsters here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... ster-index

Zhu Bajie

Ooh. Very interesting, that puts him in the sights for the Bonesnapper and Bloodworm too.

Hook Horror

Invented by Ian Livingstone, illustration by Alan Hunter. White Dwarf #12 (April/May 1979)

FFimage4.jpg

AlanHunter-HookHorror.jpg

FF11 Grell

invented by Ian Livingstone, illustration by Russ Nicholson - White Dwarf #12 (April/May 1979)

FFimage20.jpg

Grell.JPG

...funny how many seem to be Ian Livingstone creations...

Zhu Bajie

Wow, who knew a Psi-mule needed it's own miniature? That's great, and a very good spot - can't work out the monogram on the artwork tho.

Triapheg is really messed up. Started off life as "Lauren" in White Dwarf 12 illustration by Polly Wilson, invented by Colin Reynolds. Looks like Polly redid the illustration for Fiend Folio, because it's quite different, and slightly less disturbing than the original, if that's possible. The miniature is down as "unreleased", and based on the original drawing (which I can't find on the internets)

539px-Unreleased_-_Tirapheg.jpg

This is the Fiend Folio redrawing without the mouth.

Tirapheg.jpg

The more obviously Tolkien based ones (Witchking, Balrog, Wraiths) seem to be eluding detection...

Asslessman

Man, didn't know th etriapheg but that is some wicked concept and the model doesn't help. This thread is definitely digging into very interesting subjets, thank you Zhu and Steve for these.

Zhu Bajie

Cheers Mr. Assless, glad you enjoy, it's turning into a bit of an obsession!

Death Worm
aka Necrophidius - Created by Simon Tilbrook, the original illustration in White Dwarf #7 by Polly Wilson - but redrawn by Alan Hunter for the Fiend Folio.

FFimage12.jpg

Alan Hunters rendition (again, can't find Pollys original on the interwebs):

necrophidius-300x280.png

funnily enough GW still make them! :roll: :lol:

m1740159a_99120217006_NecroKnights1_445x319.jpg

phreedh

Don't have much to add to the discussion, but I'm following it with interest. A proper freak show, this! :grin: The triapheg would be interesting to see with paint on! =)

phreedh":311b4baw said:
Don't have much to add to the discussion, but I'm following it with interest. A proper freak show, this! :grin: The triapheg would be interesting to see with paint on! =)

As if by magic (from Richard's collection on SOL):

IMG_0359-130924-02.jpg

By the way, I have seen that troll in that exact pose in some old D&D manual or WD or something but I cant for the life of me remember where.

Back