I've bought giant worm models - how to use them?

lenihan

So I've got a couple of the giant worms at the top of this page, because I think they'll paint up really well and look suitably gross:

http://www.cpmodelsminiatures.co.uk/CP% ... ERRORS.htm

What I'm now curious about is how to use them in 3rd ed - what kind of "counts as" they should be. My initial idea was to treat them as bile-worms and to have them as a kind of artillery spewing forth filth onto the enemy, but looking at the models in their metal form maybe that's not convincing. I kind of like the idea of them having the "giant eye" head to go with my one-eyed bog warriors (kind of like it's a particular gift that comes from Balor) - but that makes me wonder what kind of effect the gaze of a giant eye gifted from Balor could have.

So I'm hoping to crowd source this a little bit. How would you use them, especially in the context of a fimir army?

Fimm McCool

Kinda like what Mr Saturday has done with his worms? :) Depends what list you're using for your bogpeople. Maybe a Hellcannon? Maybe some kind of dragon? How big are they?

Chico

They are small so use them on 40mm bases and use the rules for Trolls. As for the Hellcannon idea i'm using Reapers Purple Worm in my Fimir army as a Hellcannon.

lenihan

Yep, it's true I was thinking to go down something like the hellcannon route similar to Mr Saturday (and probably still will when I find another model), but these just aren't the ones for that - as Chico points out, they're too small. But they're fun models all the same and I'm still keen to use them, hence my thinking I should ask for people's help to brainstorm here.

Should say, I'm not abandoning the hellcannon-like idea, as it was part of my original plan before setting out on this fimir adventure, just need to think of another more suitable sub. The Cthonian Mr Saturday is using is great - the Reaper purple worm is another good idea. But if I'm being honest I would feel a bit cheeky stealing ideas like that for models to use when they're what people are already using to give their armies unique flavours.

Fimm McCool

I do hope we aren't cloning Fimir clans here people! ;) One of the things I love about there being no official army list is the flexibility to make up whatever you like for the army! That said, the worms are very cool. Why not just use them as steeds for Fimir riders, or have them pulling a marsh chariot? Or maybe have some Fimm packmasters.

lenihan

I'd honestly say it's more a matter of convergence than pure copying... I've already accused Mr Saturday of somehow building a time machine, nicking my ideas and then executing them far more brilliantly than I ever could! It seems that certain ideas just cry out as having a fimir 'feel'. But yeah, I absolutely agree it would be a shame to wind up cloning one another's ideas, it's much more exciting to wind up with very different styles of force, so I might use this as a sign that I should move in a somewhat different direction.

Fimm McCool

lenihan":ig7huyi6 said:
I'd honestly say it's more a matter of convergence than pure copying... I've already accused Mr Saturday of somehow building a time machine, nicking my ideas and then executing them far more brilliantly than I ever could! But yeah, would be a shame to wind up cloning, so I might use this as a sign that I should move in a somewhat different direction.

But still using worms! :) It's irritating when someone does something first, and better, when you've been building an idea for years isn't it!

lenihan

haha yes. To be fair, I guess I can't really claim years, as it's only been a matter of months since I got back into warhammer, and a proper google search would have shown me what people are doing. Anyway, it's partly because I live near the East Anglia fenlands, core to my idea really was that the fens were a source of fear in their own right. The idea of things that ooze out of the swamp, creatures that drag you in... and let's be honest, everyone's going to have somewhat similar swamp-themed ideas! Hopefully there's enough to leave it somewhat distinctive.

Fimm McCool

I look forward to seeing it! :) I'd imagine the East Anglian fens are somewhat distinctive from the Irish peat bogs and again from the desolate moorlands my Fimir are based around so though the ideas may be similar the execution, design style and feel will be very different.

Chico

I still think you should do the worms as Trolls, Trolls regenerate limbs and heal themselves ect and Urban Myth is that if you cut a worm in half it becomes 2 worms.. almost like regenerating

lenihan

Chico":3siuj2nt said:
I still think you should do the worms as Trolls, Trolls regenerate limbs and heal themselves ect and Urban Myth is that if you cut a worm in half it becomes 2 worms.. almost like regenerating

Yep, regeneration makes a lot of sense.

Then again, I really like the "splits in two" idea...

Chico

Use them as Pink Horrors, when they die the split into 2 Blue Horrors. Demon Worms are rather cool idea.

Mister Rab

Chico":31dqeuzm said:
Use them as Pink Horrors, when they die the split into 2 Blue Horrors. Demon Worms are rather cool idea.

Good idea, Chico - keeps the various fimir-worm manifestations distinct and plays with that urban myth. I like it 8-)

phreedh

Fine idea indeed, I was thinking the very thing when Chico mentioned the "splits into two" thing. And then, on the next page, he had suggested it. Bah. =(

Chico

Heh glad the idea hits the approval mark, always liked the idea of Fimir Demons being dirty and disgusting as it add to their outcast nature. I went one step further with their outcast status and made then devotes of Malal.

Asslessman

Chico":1c55gva5 said:
I went one step further with their outcast status and made then devotes of Malal.
The kind of guys who add water in their wine and who cross roads outside of zebras, nasty !

Fimm McCool

Hey, where'd my post go?!!!

Ah well. Yes Chico, love it. Both the Horrors idea and the Malal-iness. Or maybe when the worms split there should be a swarm of maggots cascade from their rancid, cleaven bellies? Mwahahahaha!

Zhu Bajie

If you want the splits-in-two type affair, why not use them as Earth Elementals? They do kind of make sense. Another idea might be as a dragon or wyrm.

Back