Tom Meier / Thunderbolt Mountain shutting shop

Zhu Bajie

The legendary Tom Meier, who invented sculpting in green-stuff, produced the classic Ral Partha ranges marketed through Citadel in the 80s, and arguably one of the best sculptors, is shutting up his shop. Apparently because his work in the toy business is more lucrative than miniatures work. There's some lovely sculpts in there.

https://www.thunderboltmountain.com

Sad news. I have a bunch of wood elves and a few orcs. They are lovely miniatures. Different proportions to typical oldhammer minis but they work well as Lord of the Rings figures.

Golgfag1

Sad news, but I've been promising myself an Elf army for years, so this will be my Christmas present to me this year and worth every penny IMO:grin: :grin: :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

lenihan

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'll definitely put in an order before Christmas. Always been a fan of Tom Meier's work. Only problem is, the elves look likely to be a bit too big to go with my citadel ones - ironic given that his early elves are mostly too tiny! But there's been stuff I've coveted from Thunderbolt Mountain for a long time and I'll feel sorry if I miss out on it

Golgfag1

I got my order in early, parcel arrived yesterday, more than happy with what I received - now the work begins with my first dabs of paint on the first unit of archers. As I don't have any other Wood Elves to compare them with, I'm hoping that I can do these miniatures justice as their everything I was hoping they'd be - tall, graceful, detailed and unique given their rarity this side of the pond! 8-)

Paul/ Golgfag1

Golgfag1

I've already moved them on from my initial post today. just base colours but the attached hopefully gives you a feel of how these will turn out. As I said on the blog I'm using washers initially and then paint the detail, after I've done the high-lights - here's hoping.

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• elves.jpg
    elves.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 2,804

UrchinJoe

weismonsters":26av92fa said:
Just in case anyone didn-t know, Iron Wind are now selling the Thunderbolt Mountain line.

This is great news - I think I must have found out Thunderbolt Mountain was closing a couple of days too late to do anything about it - and one of their more obscure miniatures (the flying sabre-toothed vampire mole with gills) was starting to become a bit of a 'holy grail' for me. Postage from the US for one mini will be a little tricky to justify, so I guess I'll need to make a slightly bigger order.

Back