The Languisher Sword and no Initiative

Brandocles

There's always been a discrepency in what the Languisher Sword from ~5th edition WHFB does. It alternately states in the Warhammer Magic book that it negates a point of Initiative for each hit, and on the card it says for each unsaved wound. There's a difference there, and I don't know which way makes more sense, but it's awesome either way.

Now, supposing in either situation you've arrived at turning your foe into a vegetable, what does an initiative 0 model do in pertinent editions of Warhammer?

It's there, it's 10 points, I use it...if your opponent's regaining wounds, this often can come up. If though you just make your foeman catatonic by striking them in the first place, then what a lovely sword it is indeed.

Galadrin

The Magic book never overrules the cards. The card is correct. An initiative 0 model strikes last in combat, except when fighting an "always strike last" enemy.

Brandocles

Are you sure there, Galadrin? It doesn't seem that your assertion is...adroit to the jib.

I've done far and wide seeking of the rules as they were, there isn't a provenance other than braindead zombies from subsequent editions and/or Mordheim to establish any ruling contemporary to what I'm discussing.

Further, the statement that the cards take precedence over Warhammer Magic was not something I saw during a cursory examination of said tome. Why did you weigh in after such a fashion? If there's some oocities site I didn't find with that claim, was it Tuomas, then?

Galadrin

Brandocles":36tk1uli said:
Are you sure there, Galadrin?

Positive. If you read the Magic rulebook again, it says that section only contains summaries. The magic item cards contain the full rules. Also, if you look at the WFB 5th Editon FAQ, you see that Priestley et al. always refer to the magic item card in their answers.

If you use the summaries instead of the cards, the magic items will work very differently. Consider the Hydra Sword, for instance, which according to the card does not allow attacks to be multiplied. The rulebook does not mention this.

Also, the Magic Item section says you have to either use the cards or copy down the rules from them.

Brandocles

Galadrin":zvglpegf said:
Brandocles":zvglpegf said:
Are you sure there, Galadrin?

Positive. If you read the Magic rulebook again, it says that section only contains summaries. The magic item cards contain the full rules. Also, if you look at the WFB 5th Editon FAQ, you see that Priestley et al. always refer to the magic item card in their answers.

If you use the summaries instead of the cards, the magic items will work very differently. Consider the Hydra Sword, for instance, which according to the card does not allow attacks to be multiplied. The rulebook does not mention this.

Ah good, I'll take your word for it. You seemed reliable after such a fashion the last time I was here. I couldn't find the summary passage, but it does ring a bell. :lol:

Brandocles

Regretably, given the paucity of contextual information about initiative 0 in 5th, I had to upgrade to the Dark Sword, where there's established rules for dropping models to WS & BS 0. 5 points more, but it might pan out given the intended application of the Languisher Sword anyhow...

Maybe there's rules for Initiative in prior editions, for a precedent worth applying to the otherwise noble 5th edition rules for Warhammer. Still on the search.

Back