Nintendo HeroQuest game?

The ROM became available a few years ago on the emulator sites, presumably this is just a rip of it programmed onto a cartridge.

Had a play with it back when I was more into emulators, but it was very basic and barely playable. The Amiga version was much better!

Zhu Bajie

Yeah. I came across the unreleased NES version a few years back when looking at the music for the videogame:

http://realmofzhu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... track.html

I played it on a ZX Spectrum emulator, some of the music is great. It's a very close adaptation of the boardgame.

As dieselmonkey says, it's likely this is the rom dumped onto a cartridge, as the NES version is unfinished and wouldn't have gone into production. Interesting item tho.

Wish I had an Amiga... :(

It was a Commodore 64/128 for the entire 80s and 99% of the software was bootleg on 5 1/4" floppies - never could finish Last Ninja, due to data corruption. My old man wouldn't buy a PC til 94/95 IIRC, the same time as a new VCR, a VHS one this time, as opposed to a Betamax that periodically broke down for over a decade - I believe he got it for cheap in 81, when ownership had slid to 25%.

The Amiga soundtrack is almost haunting compared with the NES version...

A piano version...

Zhu Bajie

Condottiero Magno":bpfocouu said:

Buy one! Shouldn't cost much more than a copy of Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned.

Alternatively have a look at getting an emulator. Amiga isn't something I've bothered with much, but I'm sure there are some good ones.

I don't know, there's something incongruous about the melancholy music and the hack-and-slash gameplay. I just discovered Barry Lietch who did the soundtrack for the original Amiga/Spectrum also did the soundtrack to an unreleased game called Dark Quest 2 - a Heroquest remake :)

https://barryleitch.bandcamp.com/album/ ... soundtrack

I kind of prefer low-fi 8-bit dungeonsynth of the earlier stuff, but there's a certain symphonic metal chunky plastic fantasy aesthetic in this that might appeal to some.

Zhu Bajie":6grkydn6 said:
I don't know, there's something incongruous about the melancholy music and the hack-and-slash gameplay.

I hadn't heard that theme before. That's not at all the music I think of when I think of HeroQuest. If anything, I think more of some 80's black metal.

Stormbringer":13mmvw56 said:
I like the DOS version with the Golden Brown section.
I might be mistaken, but after playing both, the DOS version is just the Amiga one, but with the use of a sound card. I recall playing Lands of Lore and Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood on a 386 and both sounded much better after installing a sound card - could hear a lute in the latter.

Try playing both versions simultaneously, it's interesting...

Zhu Bajie":2bcz6w6a said:
Condottiero Magno":2bcz6w6a said:

Buy one! Shouldn't cost much more than a copy of Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned.

Alternatively have a look at getting an emulator. Amiga isn't something I've bothered with much, but I'm sure there are some good ones.

I don't know, there's something incongruous about the melancholy music and the hack-and-slash gameplay. I just discovered Barry Lietch who did the soundtrack for the original Amiga/Spectrum also did the soundtrack to an unreleased game called Dark Quest 2 - a Heroquest remake :)

https://barryleitch.bandcamp.com/album/ ... soundtrack

I kind of prefer low-fi 8-bit dungeonsynth of the earlier stuff, but there's a certain symphonic metal chunky plastic fantasy aesthetic in this that might appeal to some.
Emulators are the way to go, as I don't need the clutter...

There's also HeroQuest II: Legacy of Sorasil and both are available as abandonware.

Unreleased NES Game-Hero Quest - Gamester81

It's a reproduction cartridge...

Zhu Bajie":gbl1gzt0 said:
I just discovered Barry Lietch who did the soundtrack for the original Amiga/Spectrum also did the soundtrack to an unreleased game called Dark Quest 2 - a Heroquest remake :)

It's actually a really good game; I've been playing it for quite a while now. It's not "finished" yet (the version currently available on Stream is a pre-release version, being continually updated as one plays) but all Hero Quest fans should check it out. And Barry Leitch's music really fits well with the atmosphere.

I would like to weigh in here with an opinion on Emulaters and Amigas.....Amigas came in MANY varieties, and none would run all the games. A500, A 500+, A1200, cd32, etc etc the list goes on. WIth an emulator you can tweak it to run any game, so its better for an enthusiast.

Back