old bretonnian crossbowmen

OuteRimTim

I'm seeking more information about some old bretonnian crossbowmen. Can anyone help?
I have a few Bretonnian crossbow figures that I can't seem to find referenced on Stuff of Legends. They are made of a softer alloy and came with the plastic crossbows from the late 80s early 90s. I reckon that the figures pre-date the bretonnians of fifth edition though: they are slightly smaller, more finely proportioned, and armed with crossbows-not available to fifth edition bretonnians.
I thought that they might be connected to the knights in the '91 red catalogue. Are they part of the same range of figures? Are there other catalogues with pages of these models? Or white dwarf adverts maybe? In addition to the crossbowmen (and archers) are there more types of soldiers in the range?
These are the crossbowmen (arblastiers) curtesy of White Dwarf.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• bretonnian xbowmen.jpg
    bretonnian xbowmen.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 2,778
These guys?

wd102p45-BB104BloodbowlHumansF4Crossbowmen-01.jpg

If so they're F4 Crossbowmen and were in WD102 (June '88) so you're right they predate 4th by quite some time.

Blue in VT

Look around that site to answer your other question. From this range there are knights, mounted men at arms, foot knights, retainers, xbows, archers, and brigands. All are somewhat uncommon...not quite rare...except for the mounted men at arms which are quite rare and the brigands which are nearly impossible to find.

Good hunting!!

Cheers,

Blue

OuteRimTim

Yes. Those are the ones.
Thank you Blue for linking that site. It is awesome. I have been able to fill in a bunch of gaps and answer a lot of my questions about that range.
Time to dust off my German.

Blue in VT

yeah that sounds about right...they came out right at the cusp of 4th edition being released...made it into a couple of articles in White Dwarf...and then disappeared until the Brets were revamped in the 5th edition.

Cheers,

blue

Blue in VT":2kgn89xv said:
yeah that sounds about right...they came out right at the cusp of 4th edition being released

They probably came out in about 1990. I had a load in my Bret army I bought with staff discount, and I left GW in '91. I think they made it out to stores but possibly not in WD or a catalogue until a fair bit later.

Fimm McCool

I don't suppose they might have ended up with Foundry? They took most of the 'historical' type minis from Bryan's time there, but these might have been too late to be included in that deal.

OuteRimTim

The Foundry does have a Hundred Years War range. According to the Foundry website, the range was designed by the Perrys, but not ever manufactured by Citadel. I can't tell for sure, but I think they might mix well with the 3rd ed. Bretonnians we are discussing.
Has anyone sat them side by side?

OuteRimTim":3lc0pewc said:
The Foundry does have a Hundred Years War range. According to the Foundry website, the range was designed by the Perrys, but not ever manufactured by Citadel. I can't tell for sure, but I think they might mix well with the 3rd ed. Bretonnians we are discussing.
Has anyone sat them side by side?

They're a bit on the small side, and personally I didn't put them in the same unit, but as separate units in the same army they work ok.

Back