Miniature Archive

Dreamfish

Administrator
I'm interested in archive administration for miniatures and would like to know what methods are currently used by the members of this forum. Please answer some or all questions below If you're interested in sharing this information:

• What method/system do you currently use for archiving your collection and how does it work?
  • What type of information do you archive?
  • Does your method/system cover all possible scenarios?
  • Where do you store the archive information?
  • How do you archive duplicates?
  • Do you differentiate between complete/incomplete and painted/unpainted collections/miniatures?

Asslessman

I simply take scans of the catalogues on solegend and I check (or double check) what I have and then store this on my computer in a file for each army. That and I keep most of my lead tidy in cases and as few models as I can in the leadpile. I can always check on the ctalogue pages what I have and what I don't (I update pages as soon as I receive fresh lead) and if I have a doubt, I can find out very easily since all my suitcases are labelled after the army and game contained.

Mutantdale

If I am collecting a set of minis I will print out and cross off as I get them.. Other than that they go on shelves or in boxes. I know roughly where stuff is and sometimes find minis I had forgotten about.
I should be more organised really :(

MD

I print out the catalogue pages and cross them off, and I also keep a book of possible army lists that has notes of what and how many weapons, backpacks etc I have in the back.

When it comes time to assemble and paint a unit I will use these to plan out which minis go where and the distribution of weapons so for example both Skarboy#5 minis are armed differently.

Heyer

What method/system do you currently use for archiving your collection and how does it work?
I copy catalog pages from the solegends and lost minis wiki,then cross the ones i have.

What type of information do you archive?
Usually catalog pages or pictures from minis not cataloged.

Does your method/system cover all possible scenarios?
.?????
Where do you store the archive information?
I store all that pictures in a dropbox acount,this way it is easy to see the pictures from diferent devices and cross the new aquired ones.

How do you archive duplicates?
I picture them and upload to my photobuket acount.It is easy to edit when you sell/trade one.

Do you differentiate between complete/incomplete and painted/unpainted collections/miniatures?
No.

phreedh

I use plastic storage boxes with moveable compartment walls. All elves are in one box, all orcs are in... err... several boxes, chaos in one box and so on.

My orcs are a special case, they are also stored in sequence by catalogue page as in the '88 catalogue. Otherwise the models are organized by type (ranged, mage, demons, beastmen, skeletons, zombies etc) within each box.

I only maintain a few digital checklists: '88 orcs, Talisman and Dungeon Quest, Metal Magic 1992 catalogue and Orc's Drift.

For the orcs I do one checklist (catalogue page from SOL) as well as a tidied up want list.

Trade fodder isn't catalogued. I don't have that much, I tend to only get what I want these days instead of buying lots.

treps

I do use a wiki installed on a local server, with pictures of my miniatures and pictures from solegends/ccm wiki/catalogs for the missing ones...

Bruno

Skarsnik

treps":86eejoa0 said:
I do use a wiki installed on a local server, with pictures of my miniatures and pictures from solegends/ccm wiki/catalogs for the missing ones...

Bruno

This is what I'd love to do. But my lack of computer knowledge means I use printed lists from stuff of legends.

Only part of my collection is catalogued for which I download scans from SOL and mark little dots next to the ones I have. In terms of physical storage I mainly use these plus takeaway containers:

nd82_new.jpg

weazil

I use sandwich bags (the resealable ones) and drawers.

Basically, I put all the things I think look like they belong together in sandwich bags (or many bags, in some cases) and then I put all the sandwich bags in a drawer until they don't fit any more.

This way, it only takes me somewhere between an hour and a week to verify whether or not I have a figure.

The nice thing about this particular system is that its very easy to learn and apply, and it allows you to buy lots and lots of duplicates on eBay, which are ideal for trading...

Chico

I don't have a system as I don't really bother to collect whole collections but rather i collect playable armies so I don't mind which variants I get. 90% of what i own is painted and stored in GW carrying cases or tank boxes by army.

Back