An age old Rogue Trader mystery is solved!

Heyer

Citadel Collector":nyyj1ooe said:
http://eldritchepistles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/unreleased-rogue-trader-era-adventurers.html

:grin:
Nice :grin: ,let me say i really envy you,digging in the boxes full of miniatures,and surrounded of old painted miniatures from the white dwarfs,and from time to time....you find misterious minis that nobody knew they exist.
Find little treasures is a very nice full time job,isn't it? :lol:
Thanks for showing us all that beatifull minis and keep going with it.

Asslessman

Yes, you sure have nerves. I think I couldn't keep myself from running everywhere with my arms in the air shouting "Oh my God O my god ! Look at this, OH Look at that" trying to hold Bryan's hand whenever I can.
Your dignity honors you and probabaly is the reason why you're wlecome for such visits.
However, in case of mould identifying, I could probbaly get on with the fanboyism in about 2 days an dbe able to help then :grin:.

Back on topic, I have to say that not only is it a pleasure to discover ancient released models that we don't know , but seeing unreleased or maybe unique models as these is a pure delight? thanks to all the knowledgeable people who help ID these.

Orjetax

Great stuff Steve. A lot if fun to read.

Would really like to see you solve the mystery of Braglub . . .

Asslessman":mcf2ygk6 said:
shouting "Oh my God O my god ! Look at this, OH Look at that" trying to hold Bryan's hand whenever I can.

What makes you think I don't do this :grin:

Actually I do manage to keep quite calm these days. Mostly.

treps

Citadel Collector":3m8ym2lx said:
You are an Englishman, this is enough for us little frenchies to understand that you must behave as such ;)

Bruno

Chico

Bah... i would have loved to watch that. We all know the English have the better Rugby Team anyway though, what can I say Owen Farrell might have a Welsh name but he can't half kick :)

Asslessman

Damn latin blood, I wish I was raised with this "stiff upper lip" thing and the british cool sometimes...

Citadel Collector":3897xt2l said:
I'm quite sure in the inside it's just the way I said ;)

On more serious note, I was asking the question to myself when seeing this RT eldar captain with horns based on the more simple version (the one pointing with finger) you can actually see the other captain's details underneath (comparison here).
My understanding is some models were built from scratch parts which were assembled and on top of which details were added (like many JG champions from the RoC era). But this guy (just like the unreleased adpetus arbite) was just sculpted over.
Was that a practice for the sculptor's convinience or was it a cost-effective way (welcomed by the managers like Bryan) to produce new models?
Seeking such resemblances is actually quite fun a game.

treps

Asslessman":27yk905t said:
Was that a practice for the sculptor's convinience or was it a cost-effective way (welcomed by the managers like Bryan) to produce new models?
Seeking such resemblances is actually quite fun a game.
If you look in the old catalogs you'll see that it was something very frequent in the old ranges. There is of course the official variants (like the AD&D monsters with head variants), but in many ranges you'll see the same things.

It was a very efficient way to have many miniatures made on the same bases, for example the beastmen made by Kev Adams, Jes Goodwin and Bob Olley are based on only a small number of different bodys, the same for orcs, humans, elves, etc.. I believe it was really common practice !

Bruno

Asslessman

Yes, you're right, I actually didn't ask my question correctly.
The fact it was a common practice is a given, but what I wanted to know is if it was to the sculptor's initiative to use this method (not to get to tired or bored) or if it was a method to reduce time in order to be more cost-efective. For example, I remember an interview by Gary Morley talking about his zombies and he admitted he went fast on them (and made them very flat) to reduce costs.

Th fact that the eldar cpatain I'm talking about has just been covered to look different is quite intriguing, it means the model wasn't planned or that there was one missing and that he just took another one and sculpted over, otherwise, h ewould have used scrathc parts like he did on many other models (the range you mentionned ar every good examples)

Back