Odd or Insane Machines That Never Were Built?

Do you happen to know of some odd or insane machines that never were built?

This includes inventor's sketches and blueprints, patents and wildly artistic things such as Gvozdariki's steampunk animal machines, or hell-trains reminiscent of Hellcannons and so on. Preferably, it shouldn't be too modern, and not futuristic. 19th century flair and older is preferred, but please present any finds you happen to know of, even if you're unsure. :)

All tips are welcome, and particularly so of drawings, blueprints and paintings. I've already got Leonardo da Vinci, Vladimir Gvozdariki and Sigi Strasser checked out, among some random things, but I'm sure there are many more crazy machinery illustrations out there, of some interest to Chaos Dwarfs.

Padre

I got some lovely ones from a fantastic book I'm learning from for my new Time Traveler character: a 1650's book by Bishop John Wilkins, entitled, ‘Mathematical Magick, or, the WONDERS That may be Performed by Mechanical Geometry in two Books: Concerning Mechanical Powers, Motions. Being one of the most Easie, Pleasant, Useful (and yet most neglected) part of MATHEMATICS Not before treated of in this Language.’

For example, he describes an improvement on the usual methods of turning a spit. Why have a child or a dog that need encouraging, or a weight that needs winding, when you can utilise the very motion of the air as it ascends the chimney to turn the spit?

D4nc74F.jpg

Exploring this concept further, the bishop discusses the ‘sailing chariots’ of China and Holland. After describing and illustrating a carriage with ship-like sails rigged above it, he then describes the following, explaining that due to its design it should be able to move with ease even directly into the wind.

MsAobuq.jpg

Although the bishop does express doubts concerning whether such a chariot would simply shake itself to pieces on the sort of rough ground found in England, or perhaps even just fall to pieces due to the stresses and strains it caused on itself.

Another engine he describes, and my favourite, is a war engine and eminently suitable for some crazed engineers in the Warhammer world, is one which I myself think would quite literally tear itself to pieces!

BUACpFr.jpg

This last one would surely prove very dangerous, and not necessarily for the enemy! I imagine a misfire chart of 1-5 failure, and a 6 for an effective shot!

Back