Necromunda returns

Tentatively getting into this game, though is anyone else annoyed with Gang Tactics cards going OOP? If it weren't for the YakTribe community compilation, I'd be reconsidering my decision. I've been told the cards aren't necessary, but they do look like fun.

Tuskerton

I hope to try a game with the new rules soon. I've got the rulebook but not had a chance to read through it yet. I also got a new Orlock hang as I've not bought any models made later than 1996 and I wanted to see what they're like to paint. Looks like there's lots of parts to put together before I get to the painting stage!

Condottiero Magno":3mryklnf said:
ramshackle_curtis":3mryklnf said:
I wanted to love the game, but every aspect of it has upset me.
Care to elaborate?

All this text below is just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt!

I got invited to play it down at warhammer world with Andy Hoare, plus some other guys who wrote it and their gaming group. The campaign was organised by Axiom from here. SO I played it for about 3 months at release and have not played it since.

Firstly I did not "gel" the people I played with. I knew a few of them already, but its a wierd mix of people, some who are lovely, and some who are blinkered by being hardcore line-towing GW staff. Some have obvious social interaction issues, or just plain power game. That combined with a badly written game was just an awful mix for me.

The core game seems to be really good fun. The "you go I go" activations are fun (I did this in Nuclear Renaissance 10 years before, for which Andy Hoare did some writing). Also other gameplay tweaks seem solid. The combat and shooting is standard solid warhammer mechanics. I played ALOT of necromunda the pre 2017 versions, so I really wanted this to be a flagship game. I was expecting it to be tight, concise and with great gang development. Instead it was unfair and unbalanced.

THe problems come in with the gang development. You could only earn cash from your leader and heavies. If one of them is downed in game and goes into recovery, you have to miss 2 income phases with them. THis means players in a campaign very soon start to deviate in income. Losing gangs will rapidly fall behind winning gangs. WHen I realised this I started playing the heavies and leader very defensively, not ever exposing them to fire. This meant I could accrue cash even if I wasnt winning the games often. Despite losing games, I soon had a massive advantage over people who played with their leaders and heavies out front. The boss models have better profiles, but a game where you need to hide them seems a bit counter intuitive. So yeah, then the other players started saying I was playing the game wrong!

I got confused one time over how you are supposed to draw line of sight, as there are 2 ways of doing it in game. I conflated them and therefore got accused of cheating! The game is not clear.

I found myself in lots of long range fire fights and accruing cash easily. SO I decided one week to try out the close combat rules. I had loads of cash so bought 5 unarmed juves. I modelled them as drug crazed convicts sent ahead of the gang to do psychotic things on the enemy. It turns out this is a very effective tactic and so I got accused of cheating!

Im like, hey, you wrote the rules, Im just playing to how you wrote the, to the guys who wrote them. They told me I was playing it wrong and cheating! I mean, what the fuck is that about?

SO yeah, I want very polite after that. I asked them why they did not do an index, as the contradictory rules were published over 3 books. THey said it would have cost money. Which means they admitted that they dont care about user experience of the books they only care about profit. They would rather make a product that is confusing and hard to read than spend the money needed to make a great product. Usual GW attitude to indecies!

Axiom was the guy who had to tell me about these complaints as none of the group members would talk to me face to face. Since then I have not bought any Games Workshop products! It was a bad experience, with awful people. It made me pretty depressed for a few months, and lost me some friends. Axiom pretty much wont talk to me now.

So yeah, good core game, overall bad release and bad rules, mistakes, shoddy workmanship, lazy, money grabbing and nasty group to game with!

llamafish

I played in that same campaign as Ramshackle very briefly and saw the games /gangs ran - There was a reason why I decided not to bother with it.

The game I like, but I play 1 off games normally with a venator gang which I can use to proxy my Eldar Corsairs. From that experience cheap escher lasguns just spam ya and kills creativity.

Great that GW is supporting Necromunda and pushing the setting - but it still GW ;).

The Index thing popped up doing a conversation of WHFB 6th ed, apparently it too didnt have an index for that same reason - cost! The author shared the pdf on the middlehammer FB group the other week. Most odd practise imo!

I should make it clear that Andy Hoare, Axiom, Micheal, Simon and others acted in good faith. I'm not trying to malign any of them in any way.

I used to be invested in Games Workshop and had high Hope's for Nexromunda. I'm probably letting the personal stuff get in the way of my objectivity.

But I was upset that a game I wanted to be great was such a stinker!

Well in the end that's why I love Odhammer . I can just play Inquisimunda .

AranaszarSzuur":thqzgoz5 said:
Sounds like a perfect combat system for a skirmish level computer wargame or a cRPG.

It's a shame that when they lost GURPS licence for Fallout they came up with a half-assed combat system of their own instead of getting a Phoenix Command license.

I wish I could create something as complex for my my mass shooting game. But it looks like it requires being a rocket scientist.

Today I decided that when I'll have money, I'll buy Necromunda if they'll release Redemptionists or House Cawdor for it.
House Cawdor was released I ended up not playing Necromunda when I had money because I didn't know how to talk to people in game store to get to play with them. Now there's no game store since January or February. Not sure if it went bankrupt or if the owner predicted that the Wuhan virus will spread.

ramshackle_curtis":ly4zhwzq said:
Condottiero Magno":ly4zhwzq said:
ramshackle_curtis":ly4zhwzq said:
I wanted to love the game, but every aspect of it has upset me.
Care to elaborate?

All this text below is just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt!

I got invited to play it down at warhammer world with Andy Hoare, plus some other guys who wrote it and their gaming group. The campaign was organised by Axiom from here. SO I played it for about 3 months at release and have not played it since.

Firstly I did not "gel" the people I played with. I knew a few of them already, but its a wierd mix of people, some who are lovely, and some who are blinkered by being hardcore line-towing GW staff. Some have obvious social interaction issues, or just plain power game. That combined with a badly written game was just an awful mix for me.

The core game seems to be really good fun. The "you go I go" activations are fun (I did this in Nuclear Renaissance 10 years before, for which Andy Hoare did some writing). Also other gameplay tweaks seem solid. The combat and shooting is standard solid warhammer mechanics. I played ALOT of necromunda the pre 2017 versions, so I really wanted this to be a flagship game. I was expecting it to be tight, concise and with great gang development. Instead it was unfair and unbalanced.

THe problems come in with the gang development. You could only earn cash from your leader and heavies. If one of them is downed in game and goes into recovery, you have to miss 2 income phases with them. THis means players in a campaign very soon start to deviate in income. Losing gangs will rapidly fall behind winning gangs. WHen I realised this I started playing the heavies and leader very defensively, not ever exposing them to fire. This meant I could accrue cash even if I wasnt winning the games often. Despite losing games, I soon had a massive advantage over people who played with their leaders and heavies out front. The boss models have better profiles, but a game where you need to hide them seems a bit counter intuitive. So yeah, then the other players started saying I was playing the game wrong!

I got confused one time over how you are supposed to draw line of sight, as there are 2 ways of doing it in game. I conflated them and therefore got accused of cheating! The game is not clear.

I found myself in lots of long range fire fights and accruing cash easily. SO I decided one week to try out the close combat rules. I had loads of cash so bought 5 unarmed juves. I modelled them as drug crazed convicts sent ahead of the gang to do psychotic things on the enemy. It turns out this is a very effective tactic and so I got accused of cheating!

Im like, hey, you wrote the rules, Im just playing to how you wrote the, to the guys who wrote them. They told me I was playing it wrong and cheating! I mean, what the **** is that about?

SO yeah, I want very polite after that. I asked them why they did not do an index, as the contradictory rules were published over 3 books. THey said it would have cost money. Which means they admitted that they dont care about user experience of the books they only care about profit. They would rather make a product that is confusing and hard to read than spend the money needed to make a great product. Usual GW attitude to indecies!

Axiom was the guy who had to tell me about these complaints as none of the group members would talk to me face to face. Since then I have not bought any Games Workshop products! It was a bad experience, with awful people. It made me pretty depressed for a few months, and lost me some friends. Axiom pretty much wont talk to me now.

So yeah, good core game, overall bad release and bad rules, mistakes, shoddy workmanship, lazy, money grabbing and nasty group to game with!
Oh wow. Looks like I dodged the bullet.

That certainly is a shame as I loved and still love the original Necromunda ruleset.

Not only did you not have to buy hundreds of minis, but only a handful, and terrain could be made out of cardboard and used bogrolls, but i loved the feel of it and especially the character development and scope.

Sure - Van Saar were always OP, but shooting them with a can of baked beans out of a Scavvie bluderbus was always good for a laugh.
Knocked the wind outta him as they said.

I didn't mind the new minis, but I didn't see the need for a new ruleset, when the original was rather polished and worked quite well.

Sometimes the older we are - the better we age.

knobgobbler

I wasn't tempted by the new Necromunda. The figures didn't grab me and I doubted I'd find the rules an improvement over the original.
Terrain bits were the only parts I'd find a use for.

Back