Necromunda returns

FLuff I have not read.

Realistic, no. Im not sure I want a realistic game though. "Roll a 6 not to need to go to the toilet" or "make a cool check to see if you can hand in your tax return on time"

If you want realistic, why are you playing warhammer or variants? ;) Its a fun game.

ramshackle_curtis":13oq024z said:
FLuff I have not read.

Realistic, no. Im not sure I want a realistic game though. "Roll a 6 not to need to go to the toilet" or "make a cool check to see if you can hand in your tax return on time"

If you want realistic, why are you playing warhammer or variants? ;) Its a fun game.
From what I understand, Confrontation aimed for realistic combat.

Fimm McCool

AranaszarSzuur":2wec65qv said:
Also, is there lots of interesting fluff in the rulebooks?

The rulebook has quite a lot of background drawn from Confrontation, the original Necromunda and Gang War and a pinch of new stuff with a hint of more to come. If you have the Confrontation issues of WD you've already got the most thorough look at the world of Necromunda that's ever been released.

As to realism. There's only a degree to which I'd want a game to aim at realism, which is why I don't find historical gaming particularly palatable. If you're looking for a more strategic and less chance-based system however...

Zhu Bajie

AranaszarSzuur":1c0g67oe said:
ramshackle_curtis":1c0g67oe said:
FLuff I have not read.

From what I understand, Confrontation aimed for realistic combat.

Confrontation (which is really just Laserburn in 40k drag, with a campaign system bolted on, and other than the fluff isn't related to Necromunda or Warhammer) is more detailed and fatalities are more frequent - you don't get that rolling loads of dice and nothing happens that you get with the Warhammers - but it's not really more realistic. If you want actual realism (and I expect you do) - not just detail, have a look at Phoenix Command, which is more of a combat simulator that uses actual real world weapon data (ranges, impact forces etc) and military / police ballistics reports on injuries and the suchlike. Personally I love it, for what it is - the ultimate in rules heavy tactical gaming - but it's not everyones cup of tea. It also has a sci-fi version called Living Steel, but I've not seen that and don't know if they extrapolated the system forward (like WFB2E to 40K:RT does) or shifted the baseline probabilities to account for the new technologies of death.

I never heard of Phoenix Command or Living Steel. I will check it out. I once had an idea to write a realistic combat simulation game but I did not get far.

weismonsters":1albfn0z said:
I never heard of Phoenix Command or Living Steel. I will check it out. I once had an idea to write a realistic combat simulation game but I did not get far.

Ah, Phoenix Command, that brings back memories of playing a game and wishing I'd never failed my Maths A Level!

Here's just *one* of the hit location and damage tables to give you an idea of the complexity...

IMG_5896.jpg

:lol:

Stormbringer":2kb8rhkn said:
Haha!

"Spine" is a bit vague -- I want to know which individual vertebra has been damaged!

There's probably a paralysis table later in the book.

Oh, and if you want equations, we've got equations!

fullsizeoutput_a9f.jpg

:lol:

Sounds like a perfect combat system for a skirmish level computer wargame or a cRPG.

It's a shame that when they lost GURPS licence for Fallout they came up with a half-assed combat system of their own instead of getting a Phoenix Command license.

I wish I could create something as complex for my my mass shooting game. But it looks like it requires being a rocket scientist.

Today I decided that when I'll have money, I'll buy Necromunda if they'll release Redemptionists or House Cawdor for it.

Fimm McCool

Back in August I decided what the world really needs is a Laserburn App. Sadly I don't have the technical knowwhats to do one.

Fimm McCool":35hqd3dy said:
Back in August I decided what the world really needs is a Laserburn App. Sadly I don't have the technical knowwhats to do one.
Laserburn App? As in some kind of an assistant? Or a full game?

Zhu Bajie

Fimm McCool":iz1vsfux said:
An App which does all the calculations for you when playing Laserburn.

Funny you should say that.

file.php

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9701

Although it's a Google Sheet, so the GUI is fugly, rather than an app in its current incarnation, and doesn't handle HTH properly at the moment, unless stabbing yourself is the intended result.

weismonsters":iz1vsfux said:
I just fell in love. I must have this ruleset.

It's a beautiful thing.

Just worked out that all the Living Steel supplements, such as Heavy Metal - Power Armor Sourcebook and High-Tech Weapons Data Supplement basically extend Phoenix Command. :twisted:

Zhu Bajie":9nirj8dt said:
Fimm McCool":9nirj8dt said:
An App which does all the calculations for you when playing Laserburn.

Funny you should say that.

file.php

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9701

Although it's a Google Sheet, so the GUI is fugly, rather than an app in its current incarnation, and doesn't handle HTH properly at the moment, unless stabbing yourself is the intended result.
Would something like that allow Confrontation to be played smoothly with full rules?

Back