Milliput is amazing! ...... Discuss...

Maerok

Still unpacking mountains of old stuff and found this little diorama i did when i was about 17.... (figure missing from front)

Made me start wondering what other people might have done with Milliput, and if it was still in fashion or has the last 30 years given any better toys to play with?

I am now browsing ebay to buy some :)

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 2,035
  • IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 2,033

Padre

I've done a lot of (not very good) milliputting over the decades. When I was seventeen (or thereabouts) I added barding to the (oddly) unarmoured horses provided with knight models ...

U6CRpyQ.jpg

On this pic you can see the original form of the horse model at the end. I must have run out of milliput that day!

TV8KWun.jpg

Gallivantes

In my house it's in fashion like it's 1989! I like to use it for conversions.

A lot of people use greenstuff alone to sculpt in but the stuff you see here is mostly a 50/50 mix of milliput and greenstuff. It gives it a consistency I like. (And because the milliput is cheaper it becomes a marginally cheaper medium. Not the main reason I do it but hey, I'll take it :)

file.php

The yellow-green bits are the mix whereas the yellow tail is a coat of pure milliput (over a tinfoil armature). And the darker green stuff here is just an old crap paintjob... including his nose
file.php

MP/GS mix over a plastic chaos warrior. (The little white frames are cuts of square plastic tubing filled with the mix)
file.php

The mix on some plastic beastmen parts
file.php

Mostly milliput/greenstuff mixes. The odd bits of darker green are bits of greenstuff only.
file.php

And since you don't mention Greenstuff and ask what's new since Milliput I get the impression you may not be aware of it... if that's the case it may be of interest to you. Just pop a question here if you don't know what it is.

So if my mixing counts... yes, yes I use it. :)

Maerok

Padre":1637vfu0 said:
I've done a lot of (not very good) milliputting over the decades. When I was seventeen (or thereabouts) I added barding to the (oddly) unarmoured horses provided with knight models ...

Love the barding idea, Ill be stealing it! :)

Maerok

Gallivantes":3j2xov31 said:
And since you don't mention Greenstuff and ask what's new since Milliput I get the impression you may not be aware of it... if that's the case it may be of interest to you. Just pop a question here if you don't know what it is.

Hi nice work, yes you're correct, I havent heard of green stuff...... interesting that you can mix them.....

Gallivantes

Ok cool, you might find it useful then. Some things worth knowing:

- Find it on Ebay, like Milliput. I get mine from same supplier on there somewhere.
- Costs a little more, but nothing crazy
- It's a two part epoxy clay that comes in a blue component and yellow component. You just cut off a bit and roll between your fingers to mix it.
- It air cures in something like... i dunno, 45 minutes or so? So you have some working time before it starts to set. Mix small batches at a time, not the whole supply :)
- Does not dissolve in water, so you can't do the milliput trick where you add a touch of water to smooth out the surface on greenstuff alone. BUT when you blend them the mix retains this milliput property, which is a bit neat :)
- Milliput, when dry, has a more rigid, brittle feel. Greenstuff has a bit more give so in cases where Milliput could crack and break greenstuff might absorb a bit of the force and not break. It doesn't really chip like Milliput can.
- Sculpting tools are useful. Metal or silicone tipped, can be obtained at fairly reasonable prices on Ebay. Keep them lubricated with plain water or something vaselin-y is a good way to keep the clay from sticking to the tools, also for your fingers as you mix and handle it.
- Trivia: it's in fact the very stuff many original models are sculpted from before they move on to be production cast. It's the "real McCoy", if you will :)

Other people may have more tips for you as it's a popular thing.

Maerok

Gallivantes":5wg7uqk9 said:
Ok cool, you might find it useful then. Some things worth knowing:

- Find it on Ebay, like Milliput. I get mine from same supplier on there somewhere.
- Costs a little more, but nothing crazy
- It's a two part epoxy clay that comes in a blue component and yellow component. You just cut off a bit and roll between your fingers to mix it.
- It air cures in something like... i dunno, 45 minutes or so? So you have some working time before it starts to set. Mix small batches at a time, not the whole supply :)
- Does not dissolve in water, so you can't do the milliput trick where you add a touch of water to smooth out the surface on greenstuff alone. BUT when you blend them the mix retains this milliput property, which is a bit neat :)
- Milliput, when dry, has a more rigid, brittle feel. Greenstuff has a bit more give so in cases where Milliput could crack and break greenstuff might absorb a bit of the force and not break. It doesn't really chip like Milliput can.
- Sculpting tools are useful. Metal or silicone tipped, can be obtained at fairly reasonable prices on Ebay. Keep them lubricated with plain water or something vaselin-y is a good way to keep the clay from sticking to the tools, also for your fingers as you mix and handle it.
- Trivia: it's in fact the very stuff many original models are sculpted from before they move on to be production cast. It's the "real McCoy", if you will :)

Other people may have more tips for you as it's a popular thing.

Thank you, really appreciated, sounds like milliput but with more durability... I'll give it a go! :)

Fimm McCool

Milliput sucks. :)

Hahahahahaha!

It's useful as a bulking agent and to mix with green stuff/procreate to give a more rigid putty if you're going to be sanding weapon shapes or doing thin things like tabs that can bend and crack under pressure in a vulcanizer. I've never got on with it as a detail sculpting medium though, it's just too grainy.

Maerok

Fimm McCool":3grys7ur said:
Milliput sucks. :)

Hahahahahaha!

It's useful as a bulking agent and to mix with green stuff/procreate to give a more rigid putty if you're going to be sanding weapon shapes or doing thin things like tabs that can bend and crack under pressure in a vulcanizer. I've never got on with it as a detail sculpting medium though, it's just too grainy.

Hater :razz:

XD

I've actually done some really fine (and glass smooth) stuff with milliput, it is brittle though so I am going to give mixing it a go, interested to see how green stuff sculpts....

Gallivantes

Mr Papafakis":yha9i62y said:
Did you go to BOYL this year Gallivantes? Have you painted up your Minotaur's?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Hey Papafakis. No painted minotaurs yet I'm afraid, most hobby time is spent building and converting stuff. Couldn't make it to BYOL sadly, would love to go another year!

Thantsants

I did these leopard pelts for my Slann Cold One Riders - other than that I've only managed the odd bit of fur to blend joins in on conversions - sculpting is definitely not my forte!

Scalene

I've used green stuff, fimo, super sculpey (grey) and milliput.

I would use milliput for:
- Roughing out large models (cheap)
- Smooth areas - weapons, armour etc. It's quite easy to smooth and can be sanded.

Fimo is good for robes and creatures. Same for the sculpey. On the whole I think I prefer Fimo. Both need baking, which is good in that you can leave something half finished for days, but bad in that you have to keep putting in the oven.

Green stuff is good for anything intricate, including fine textures like fur or chainmail, but it's quite hard to smooth and it's almost impossible to work after it has set (scraping, sanding etc) because you can't smooth it again.

I've not had any success with mixing them. For me that seems to result in a putty with the worst features of both, but some swear by it.

I used to like milliput before I didcovered GS and ProCreate. I did quite a fair bit with it growing up!

I made this at age 13, its a 1/35 scale model with milliput over it:

PICT8255.jpg

THis is pretty much the last thing I did with it though:

PICT7873.jpg

Back