A thousand greenskins

I have a thousand greenskins

• Funny, that's what I've got.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • A mere thousand? Child's play. In my day anything less than ten thousand didn't count.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • They better all be goblins. I love a proper goblin horde.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • How many points is that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • You need another hobby! Like, say, Wood Elves.

• I know some good support groups you can join.

• I have just painted a unit of slayers and they need a challenge. Where do you live?

• We are sending a car with some very nice men in white coats who will take you to your new home. Stay

• Good Lord, the animosity rolls on that.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Let me link you some good articles on batch painting.

• That's all well and good but do you have any hobgoblins?

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Wanna buy a gallon of Goblin Green? Fifty quid just for you mate.

• Waagh!

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Gallivantes

Plaiecivile":24dhwaiv said:
The only thing I would like to ask is, is your storage lead rot proof? Melamine/hard wood and high humidity are pretty rough at triggering this plague.
As long as your shelf is open in front to allow good air circulation it should not be an issue.

Ooh very good question. Thanks Plaicievile. To be honest I actually don't have much of a clue. My knowledge of lead rot is so-so and I've never had to tackle an outbreak of it. Here's what I can say about this setup:

Experience: I've only stored things like this for about a year so that's probably not enough time to draw any conclusions from.
Hard Wood: I don't know at which rate hard wood is present here. Spruce, pine and elm are supposed to be the kinder "soft woods" (it's down to acetic levels, apparently) but all I've found about IKEAs builds is that they're basically MDF, and all I know about MDF is that it's a mix of wood fibre. What kind of wood fibre I can't say.
High Humidity: I don't think so. There's nothing around that would introduce alarming degrees of moisture. Say, a shower. Or a monsoon period. Then again how much is considered too much?
Melamine: I just looked up that IKEA uses melamine in their laminate. I didn't know this affected lead rot until you mentioned it (thanks!). Out of everything this worries me the most, so I will be keeping a regular eye on them from now on.
Ventilation: It's a closed cabinet but not hermetically sealed. There are gaps of millimeters when the doors are closed. There is no ventilation unit installed. I often open the doors, sometimes daily but if not then at the very least I'd say they get a weekly airing out so I'm hoping that mitigates some of what moisture/melamine fume buildup there might be. But again, I confess I don't know anything about the tolerances here and what's considered "enough" ventilation.

So, how do the levels of melamine, hard wood and moisture fare against this level of ventilation? Not a clue! And it's probably too early to tell. Anybody out there with more experience than I have, speak up as I'm sure everyone is as interested in hearing that as I am.

I can see why you're going for a glass/steel build Plaicievile. Probably more expensive but you can't put a price on sleeping well at night so I really see where you're coming from.

Plaiecivile

OK first I need to correct a fact, melamine does create a barrier against acetic acids, it is the chipboard that is harmful so I believe your setup is good.
Plus, a one inch diameter hole is enough to ventilate a 1 cubic meter cabinet.

The best tool to verify if you have issues with acetic acids remain your nose. If you happen to open your cabinet or a box of lead miniature and you get even the slightest smell of vinegar, the process of lead rot is on its way.

I used to store my top shelf miniatures in an old wooden buffet behind glass doors. At some point I added my unpainted and assembled TA1 - A-Angor Demon King from the Arcane Monstrosities, a huge lead model, standing by itself without a base. I saw there was a problem 4 months later, realizing that the surface directly in contact with the wood add turned slightly darker, and yes, there was that vinegar smell.

Have a look at the following article, these guys knows a lot on the subject and have the experience!

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Warfare ... ip-Models/

Thantsants

That's quite a collection and some interesting thoughts on storage - might have to pick some brains on this thread if I ever get round to converting our loft in to a spare bedroom/mancave as I'm hoping to install storage cupboards for my collection.

Good luck with the painting - it's a mammoth task but satisfying in the end. Here's my horde so far minus the Hobgoblin army whaich was painted after this pic was taken - still got a ton of Snotlings, Goblin Chariots, Giants and Orc warriors to paint yet! A lot of these guys were undercoated black, drybrushed with white to give zenithal highlights and coloured with inks to speed the painting process - especially the Gobbo's!

Ketil Trout

A glorious host of greenskins indeed and very efficient storage system, good luck with the painting.

Thantsants that is a beautiful army, very jealous of your orange giant.

Back