A thousand greenskins

I have a thousand greenskins

• Funny, that's what I've got.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • A mere thousand? Child's play. In my day anything less than ten thousand didn't count.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • They better all be goblins. I love a proper goblin horde.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • How many points is that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • You need another hobby! Like, say, Wood Elves.

• I know some good support groups you can join.

• I have just painted a unit of slayers and they need a challenge. Where do you live?

• We are sending a car with some very nice men in white coats who will take you to your new home. Stay

• Good Lord, the animosity rolls on that.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Let me link you some good articles on batch painting.

• That's all well and good but do you have any hobgoblins?

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Wanna buy a gallon of Goblin Green? Fifty quid just for you mate.

• Waagh!

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Gallivantes

I took some inventory today and counted just above a thousand greenskins. Not sure exactly just how many, maybe a dozen more or so are hiding in my stripping jar. I wanted to gauge the average thoughts on this. If you can forgive me for the tasteless braggadocio innate to this poll, share your thoughts. What's your first reaction?

That's a lot of green paint, I'd love to see them all done and based!

Pro-tip: If you don't have an airbrush, graff sprays are usually matt and come in an abundance of interesting colours. Liquitex do a good orc/goblin green base.

Chico

My first thought /reaction was lead poisoning imminent and my second was 'I wonder how many Greenskins in a sack would it take to kill someone if hit with it' hehehe :razz: :razz: :razz: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ogg

My first reaction was to feel slightly better about my own greenskin obsession, I 'only' have around half that ;)

Thinking about my own collection, I estimate at least 200 of them are Kev Adams sculpts, I wonder if there is any other sculptor that has been so prolific over such a long time? There are loads of ranges of Adams greenskins alone not even including other stuff he has done...

My first reaction is that I'm glad I never got into Orcs & Gobbos, otherwise I've have an even bigger collection of unpainted lead than I already have!

My second is that seeing a horde of painted up Orcs looks awesome on the table :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Niblebitzer

Painting green can get boring :lol:

I keep getting shivers every time I open my green paint pot. But on the bright side, theres no better army to play than greenskins.

Golgfag1

Well done, takes quite a lot of dedication to to collect that many figures. As previous posts - all you have to do now is paint them, good luck. I've been trying to paint my horde for the last twenty five years plus :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Gallivantes

Ha ha thanks for humouring me guys!

dieselmonkey":1b0beuwd said:
That's a lot of green paint, I'd love to see them all done and based!
You and me both buddy. Thanks for the tips on spray cans.

Chico":1b0beuwd said:
'I wonder how many Greenskins in a sack would it take to kill someone if hit with it' hehehe :razz: :razz: :razz: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I could do it with one. First time I picked up the solid metal war mammoth my first thought was literally "good lord, this is a murder weapon" :grin:

Ogg":1b0beuwd said:
Thinking about my own collection, I estimate at least 200 of them are Kev Adams sculpts, I wonder if there is any other sculptor that has been so prolific over such a long time? There are loads of ranges of Adams greenskins alone not even including other stuff he has done...
I doubt there is, or at least I should say with greenskins. I got some great options for Black Orcs and Night Goblins from Black Tree design, Kev's wonderful work.

Mr Papafakis":1b0beuwd said:
seeing a horde of painted up Orcs looks awesome on the table :)
Couldn't agree more. Give me time!

Niblebitzer":1b0beuwd said:
Painting green can get boring :lol: I keep getting shivers every time I open my green paint pot.
I wonder if there's a medical term? I'm coining it: Post-traumatic Orc&Goblin Disorder? PTO&GD. I wonder if I'll have it too before I'm done.

Maerok":1b0beuwd said:
Was thinking scarily i may be able to match you....... :o
It's like Pokemans isn't it... gotta have them all.

Gallivantes

Golgfag1":9uz7zkjm said:
Well done, takes quite a lot of dedication to to collect that many figures. As previous posts - all you have to do now is paint them, good luck. I've been trying to paint my horde for the last twenty five years plus :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Thanks Paul, you and me both. This is the army I first started collecting when 4th edition had recently come out — say -95, -96, thereabouts. They were my first Warhammer love affair and they put a big grin on my face to this day :) :)

Gallivantes

ramshackle_curtis":xt2us9ja said:
Pics or it didnt happen ;)

I suppose I should have known all along I wouldn't get away without evidence. I've deliberately kept this image a bit spartan as the whole build and paint exhibit will be for another day :)

Ok, 'ere we go!

Attachments

• Orc_Army.jpg
    Orc_Army.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,045

BloodEyes

That is a serious collection, but I'm sure that I have more then a 1000 Dwarfs, excluding warmachines... I've been collecting those from the start of the 4th ed rules... About a 3th must be painted.

Some years ago I also starter playing Orcs & Goblins juist for the sheer randomness of it all. It provided for a lot of fun :grin:

Fuxxx

Is this how you normally store your miniatures Gallivantes? Or are the open containers just for the sake of the photo?

Gallivantes

ramshackle_curtis":2oy1d1it said:
Good work, is this to be a painting blog then?
Hehe thanks curtis. I'll probably make a thread in WIP or showroom for that when the time comes. This thread mostly materialised from my fascination with how many of the little tykes I've scrounged up.

Karak Norn Clansman":2oy1d1it said:
This is glorious. Greenskins done right! But they need to be properly painted and based. A herculean task just for some measly scum Goblins. ;)
Aah, gobbos. Rarely have so few points been cherished so much by so many. I am converting gobbo pikemen, worst time investment for points EVER... :grin:

BloodEyes":2oy1d1it said:
I'm sure that I have more then a 1000 Dwarfs, excluding warmachines...
What a spectacle it would be to pitch them! My artillery contingent holds sixteen catapults and seven bolt throwers, accompanied by 180 archers. I would dare you to slog across that field on your short legs :) Although I don't see what would stop you from staying put and pulverize me with superior artillery and watch animosity have its way. Hmm. Anyhoo, the time it'll take to paint them will be spent mulling over da plan...

Fuxxx":2oy1d1it said:
Is this how you normally store your miniatures Gallivantes? Or are the open containers just for the sake of the photo?
That's the storage cupboard where they live yes, just with the doors flung open for the photo. It's a solution that grew organically from a bunch of criteria I wanted to fulfil.

It's relatively dust free. Easy to move around. Units are placed on cardboard trays in the larger trays so I can lift out twenty guys or all thousand in a manner of minutes. I can take stock, add reinforcements, move stuff about and survey the look of units and divisions because it's all standing arrayed in battle formations. Nothing obscured in boxes and foam. I can just pop the door open and see the entire army so I know what I've got at any point. For a more detailed inspection I just pull a tray halfway out. I have a table within arms reach that I can place several trays on when I want to rearrange things or take an even better look.

Moneywise it was all affordable for me with cardboard basically free and the sturdy ergonomic trays from IKEA are about two UK squid each, or dollars two-fifty. A cupboard was needed of course. The one I used was already installed in my flat, IKEA unit. To make good use of space I bought a couple of extra shelves for it at IKEA for something in the region of £8 in total I believe it was.

I had them in citadel foam cases under my desk before I started to figure this solution out. The visibility was poor and it was impractical and time consuming to bring things out and do anything with. WIth better visibility and easy handling it's much more motivational to tinker with now. Moving units to the converting bench or painting spot is a breeze.

I also find that hiding so many models behind a discrete cupboard front is very restful to the eyes and mind in the home environment. I already have shelves of models in other places and if this army was visible too it could get a bit too much at times I think. Mini men everywhere, you go a bit mad. I can still get a fix from simply opening the doors, which I sometimes leave open as I can see it from my desk. Then I feel a bit like Scrooge McDuck in his money bin — happy as can be with my precious things.

And there you go. It took me hours spread out over months to mull over, think, rethink, trial and error to find what suited my needs. I figured I should do a little writeup as I've found it interesting when people share their storage solutions so thanks for the prompting Fuxxx. Hope someone finds any of it useful.

Fuxxx

Wow, thats a lot of thought in your system. Great idea. I live near an Ikea, and probably I'm going to adapt this idea. Because right now, after a long time of storing my stuff in an open cupboard, I moved them into cardbord boxes so they wont get dusty. I have to search for everything...

And to get back on topic: most of my Greenskin stuff is plastic, but alltogether I should have around 2000 Models. I once counted all the models but I really cant remember the number.

Gallivantes

Fuxxx, if you do look into getting a similar setup it would be interesting to see how you got on.

My top tip would be to embrace the tower stack principle and eliminate dead space as much as you can. Stop seeing your available space as one plane (tables, single shelves) or inefficient shelves (my 2 IKEA Billy units have seven planes each, the cupboard has potential for double that at fourteen).

Get a design where you can change the shelf position and add more shelves. This will be more efficient and inversely you can also have greater shelf gaps as you see fit; for taller models, better visibility etc.

If you can get a unit that matches the tray sizes closely you'll economize with the space in your abode too. My cupboard is 60x60cm footprint but there's a lot of waste inside for trays that are 50x35cm. There is in fact a tall IKEA wardrobe unit that matches this tray size closely so the noteworthy thing is that I could in theory stack roughly 1500-2000 models on a footprint area that roughly corresponds to three pairs of shoes. That's some 10+ armies at the footprint of a lunch tray, if by armies we think of something like 150 models, 4-5 units, 2000-3000 points (by my guesstimates :) ).

I did some research on IKEA parts to build an efficient stack at minimum cost. I can PM you the details if you're interested Fuxxx.

Plaiecivile

That is a great setup! I will not discuss the "is your life long enough to paint that" issue, I have the same ;)

The only thing I would like to ask is, is your storage lead rot proof? Melamine/hard wood and high humidity are pretty rough at triggering this plague.
As long as your shelf is open in front to allow good air circulation it should not be an issue.

I am myself about to end a major basement renovation, and my new "man lair" will contain a glass/steel cabinet to hold my lead miniatures.
Sadly I will not be able to fill it properly as you did!

Back