Dungeoncrawler base style

Dungeon Crawling bases: oldschool or "realistic"?

• Dungeon floor bases - there is no grass in a dungeon.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Grass bases - there are no dungeon floor bases shown on my Heroquest box.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Mophus

My aim is to get a whole set of painted miniatures for Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest. My first attempt for the bases were "realistic" looking dungeon floor or cobblestone tiles. But as I want to use the miniatures of both games together, I don't like the grey HQ bases on the amber AHQ tiles and vice versa. So I thought about switching to the classic Eavy Metal basing style. I like the oldschool charme more and more. What's your opinion?

I put all my dungeoneering miniatures on grass bases, so they could be used outside as well.

My 5-year-old son did say: "But there's no grass in a dungeon, Dad..."

Still, I think grass looks best, indoors or out.

Plaiecivile

I solved that issue by basing my warhammer quest miniatures with grey tiles and green moss, the same color sheme I paint my "outdoor" miniatures with rocks and grass...

Fimm McCool

My heroquest orcs and goblins are on unit trays made to look like ruined buildings- so their flagstone bases are just part of the rubble when they hit the battlefield.

Zhu Bajie

Looks like Games Workshop Design Studio couldn't make their minds up back in the day either!

wd077198605p61-01.jpg

I would suggest making the bases with tiles, but adding a bit of sand and small stones which could look like rubble/debris. You could even add a bit of flock to look like moss. That way, I think it fit in both dungeons and on battlefields. I have plans of doing something like this myself for a future Mordheim/Frostgrave/some-other-skirmish-game :)

Back