Citadel Uruk-Hai

Aiteal

Does anyone know anything about citadel's Uruk-Hai minis, the ones with long hair and top-knots and the odd mohican, with big long arms and big fang-like teeth?
I vaguely remember them being painted up with a very dark base colour that was highlighted all they way up to yellow and having long black hair.
I haven't seen them come up much on ebay and was wondering if anyone had any search tips as I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Just John

These are the Uruks you are looking for. They are rare and pricey. They were released just before Citadel lost the LotR licence so they weren't out long. Phreedh has some that I think - they are on a couple of threads here. The ad is from WD99

me44urukhaiwd100.jpg

as a side note these are the original Uruks, not so rare but only the 3 poses

me44uruk.jpg

Aiteal

ahh, that's the ones
yeah, I see the ebay BINs are the usual mix of stupid and super stupid prices and that's just for the 'not so rare' ones :(

Asslessman

Even though not interested in having some, I'm glad to learn Jes Goodwin actually sculpted greenskins too. I had never seen any until now and wondered how they could have looked like.
Definitely some very good models.

phreedh

My set is pretty near complete. I miss a few. Lovely sculpts and fun to paint too. I went all sacriligeous and painted mine maroon. =D

lpl6_round5.jpg

Aiteal

Those are beautiful Phreedh, I've got my hands on a few lotr half-orcs recently and I love the sculpts
But those Uruks are something else :)

Asslessman

PLease, may a moderator lock/delete this thread? it's becoming far too good and very dangerous for our wallets, Now I want some... :?

Phreedh, there is no sacrilege when a model is painted this good. Illuminatus said it all on both models, paintjob and photos. congrats

Though the upper uruk-hai is undoubtedly Jes' (juts look at his signature mace) he somehow has a slight Bob Olley touch..

Harry

I have these but these are not the first Green skins Jes sculpted. Before these he did a set for Asguard. (Maybe a round 20-30) Back when he did the barbarians. The are a mix of goblins up to big orcs. Now available again from Viking? for a lot less than these Uruk-Hai.

phreedh

The barbarians aren't small though, Aiteal. They're a perfect match with 3rd edt citadel.

Ass: Yeah, I agree. There's a softness to the detail that reminds me of Olley, and the pose is also quite Olley. Compare it with the 2nd edition Blood Bowl ogres Olley did. =)

Olley is a bit like french smelly cheese. At first, it just stinks but when you get dug in you realize it's actually delicious and foul at the same time. =) In Swedish we have an expression "ful-snygg" which directly translated means "ugly-pretty". His stuff is of that calibre. The Molly Ringwalds and Mathew Brodericks of miniature war gaming. =D

Chico

Olley is a strange one indeed, I love his Hybrids (he Jes Godwin ones are better though) but can't stand anything else.

Grumdril

I like those Uruk-Hai of Phreedh's more than I remember liking the original advert, but I can live without them if they're expensive as it seems. I do find myself liking some of those Asgard orcs on the other hand. Aiteal (or anyone) - do you have a size comparison versus a standard 80s Citadel mini?

The Great Orc Berserker with Mace (OR-03) I like for its own sake, some of the others (OR-13, OR-25, OR-27) I'm thinking would look good in with my goblins if they're not so big.

Is there a European supplier does anyone know (or alternatively does anyone have an idea what Viking Forge's European shipping prices are like)?

Grumdril

Just John

As far as I know its a flat rate $15 to ship to Europe. If anyone ever makes an order I'd love to get some minis too.

Grumdril

@Just John (or anyone else) - I'll definitely be putting an order together Viking Forge order at some point soonish (although probably not this month). I'll message you before I do, and stick a note on this board in case anyone else wants to join in.

Grumdril

Aiteal

Grumdril":1b5wp9jl said:
I do find myself liking some of those Asgard orcs on the other hand. Aiteal (or anyone) - do you have a size comparison versus a standard 80s Citadel mini?

I'm afraid I only have trolls and some of the weirder chaos sculpts to do size comparisons with
Sorry for the blurry pics, my camera phone is useless

0bhvCEV.jpg

GYlImfP.jpg

Alternative armies sells the Asgard Barbarians, I don't know if the have the rights to any of the other minis and are just waiting on interest from customers mind you
I assume they would have inherited a lot of the old Asgard and then TTG IP?
http://www.alternative-armies.com/28mm_Barbarians.htm

Harry

I have some of Jes's Asguard goblins I don't mind trading if anyone wants a small selection.

Back