Question on resin miniatures, and Fenryll scale

Grumdril

There's quite a lot of Fenryll miniatures I like, such as this one - http://fenryll.com/en/adventurers/289-necromancer-familiar.html - but I have a couple of reservations.

Firstly they cast in resin, which I've seen negative comments about (esp. GW finecast), but apart from a general negative vibe about moving away from lead the only two specifics I can think of are a high instance of miscasts and that some resin can't be stripped. So I thought I'd ask, is it a big issue? What are they like to paint versus lead miniatures? Does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer?

And specifically to Fenryll, does anyone have an idea about their standard scale versus 1980s Citadel? He'll be a character model (obviously) so I don't mind if he's on the biggish size, but not if he looks totally out of place.

Many thanks in advance for any input you have,

Grumdril

Chico

Well Resin varies alot from company to company, I have quite alot of Forgeworld resin and they are amazing, but GW Finecast sucks Goats ;). Your find Fenryll alot bigger as they are 28mm Heroic scale and Citadel 80's are 25mm standard for the most part.

Resin will also need to washed before priming to get rid of release agents, Resin tends to be rather crisp and sharp so a joy to paint. Its the weight that always throws me.. I expect to be picking up lead

Some of my favorite lines of minis are Resin... Ax Faction is full of cheesecake, but it's really good sculpts and excellent quality resin. Forgeworld seems pretty good too, at least until you order a mecha kit from Hong Kong. Those guys produce some unbelievable quality resin products.

As Chico mentioned, wash it well. Wash it twice. The wash it once more and scrub it with an old toothbrush. Then a good primer and you're ready to paint.

zoggin-eck

I've often wondered about Fenryll, since there's a few models I'd like to get.

As said, not all resins, or even "resin plastics" are the same. I wouldn't let finecast ruin the reputation of all other models, though :)

Hmm, nobody has mentioned experience with these models in particular, though. I may have to bit the bullet and order some

Back