New Edition of WHFRP

Suthers

Interesting that Games Workshop is seemingly releasing a 'new' game set in the classic Warhammer setting rather than just the 'Age of Sigmar' setting. Would it be excessively optimistic of me to wonder whether anything can be read into this in terms of a broader willingness of GW to re-embrace the proper Warhammer world? It seems unlikely given how much they have invested into the new setting, but one can hope, perhaps, especially as GW do seem to be heading back in a direction that I quite like in certain other areas of their business.

Zhu Bajie

Suthers":spbae5uf said:
Interesting that Games Workshop is seemingly releasing a 'new' game set in the classic Warhammer setting rather than just the 'Age of Sigmar' setting. Would it be excessively optimistic of me to wonder whether anything can be read into this in terms of a broader willingness of GW to re-embrace the proper Warhammer world? It seems unlikely given how much they have invested into the new setting, but one can hope, perhaps, especially as GW do seem to be heading back in a direction that I quite like in certain other areas of their business.

It's a Cubicle 7 release, under licence, much like Total War:Warhammer. I'm guessing their strategy is to farm out the WFB/WFRP IP to 3rd party developers but aren't interested in developing it themselves. Personally I'd prefer to see WFRP1E and its supplements as a POD/PDF releases like WoTC does with early D&D rather than yet another edition, then expanded with the supplements that we never got, Lustria for example, but I suppose there are reasons that won't happen.

Back