Dwarf Tunnelling

Shaun

I am seeking information regarding the extent of the dwarf tunnels of the warhammer world - that being the original world at a date of approximately 2500 (ish) on the Imperial Calender ... what were their deepest and longest tunnels? Is it known? What of the Ungdrin Ankor also? Is there any knowledge of its whereabouts and dimensions specifically?

Gee, I think that's a bit too academic for warhammer isn't it? Did they even go into that much detail? I'd be surprised if they did.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Zhu Bajie

Not very far and not very deep. Dwarves are mostly confined to the World Edge mountains, and their 'lower levels' reach into the territory of the Lizardman which is deeper underground than the Dwarven empire.

Shaun":cxs5il7h said:
I am seeking information regarding the extent of the dwarf tunnels of the warhammer world - that being the original world at a date of approximately 2500 (ish) on the Imperial Calender ... what were their deepest and longest tunnels? Is it known? What of the Ungdrin Ankor also? Is there any knowledge of its whereabouts and dimensions specifically?

You probably want to pick up a copy of 'Dwarfs: Stone & Steel', the WFRP sourcebook from Hogshead. The Underway joined all of the extant Dwarfholds to each other, so they covered the length of the World's Edge mountains. The network was badly damaged circa -1500 (Imperial Timeline) by earthquakes and volcanic activity and the Dwarves have spent most of the subsequent years attempting to rebuild it.

Shaun

Aye i am aware of the history of the Underway ... but it is its depths also that intrigue me - its length must have been hundreds of kilometres - enough to account for the curvature of the earth ...

Perhaps no dawi ever went deeper than a few kilometres below the surface then? 10,000 foot or so?

Yeah, I doubt they went deep for the sake of it, other than to follow veins of ore. I seem to recall that one of the holds broke into the Skaven tunnel network when excavating, so that would imply that the Skaven ones were deeper than the dwarven underground realms.

Shaun

No known precise stats hey? Hmmm ... ah well - cheers. If anything comes to light please post it here.

River of Echoes

Connecting Campogrotta on the Cristallo River in Tilea to Kreutzhofen on the Söll in The Empire. Over 300 miles long and 12ft deep probably throughout its length and wide enough that 2 8ft wide barges could overtake each other. About 150 miles into the cave system, is the village of Alimento: located in a "majestic vault two miles across. Luminous fungi bathed the place in a permanent twilight..." "The chamber seemed to be a vast spring, from which water flowed sedately through tunnels to north and south. The ruins of buildings were found, which scholars later confirmed were of ancient dwarven construction - the Dwarfs had also adapted the natural tunnels, making them smooth, easily navigable streams." Deaths Dark Shadow pp 7-8.

ramshackle_curtis":2o06ipjt said:
"12ft deep " is that a typo? Like, 3 meters deep? SUrely deeper than that?

I think they were stating the water level was 12ft deep, rather than that being the distance it was underground.

Back