GW staff in miniature Quiz

Harry

OK here is a little teaser to get you scratching your heads:
I know of five (possibly six) old Citadel Miniatures which are supposed to be inspired by, named after or otherwise represent GW staff from the good old days.

Those staff are:

Ian Livingstone
Steve Jackson
John Blanche
Alan Perry
Michael Perry

There is a cookie for anyone that can identify and post up any of the miniatures

If you know of others I would love to see those too.

No clues yet ...

A Badger

Ian Livingstone's in the WD Speciality set; Steve Jackson's the CO4 Rogue on crutches.

I always thought one of the early Rogue Trader Mercenaries 'Hacker Harris' looked like John Blanche. I assume the Perry's inhabit the Men at Arms range somewhere.

There's also a Barbarian called Nigel on the tab (which I read somewhere is Nigel Stillman).

There are a good few Ansell's out there too - evil wizard, pinstripe cleric, Midland troll, Sir Bryan of Linby et etc

Harry

Yes that's the easy one ... Ian Livingstone was in the Citadel personalities boxed set:
Here he is painted up:

Xt8plMQ.jpg

Steve Jackson is a C04 Rouge ... one of the set of pirates they made ... currently available from the foundry. Bottom left in this picture. The story goes Steve Jackson visited the studio with a leg injury ...

KOn4ANf.png

Not a bad likeness:

QD0rtSG.jpg

The Perry's are in the same range as each other but not Bretonnians

I had forgotten about Nigel.
I have to say he does not look much like Nigel ... who was not very Barbarian like :grin:

Jz7kDMa.jpg

The Ansells are news to me ... although no surprise ... do show the minis.

Harry

I found the Midland Troll ... Marked WereAnsell on the top of the base... and it looks like him ... so clearly we have a winner.

ps68n0B.jpg

I remember seeing a Gary Morley lookalike Blood Bowl player in some White Dwarf interview, but it might have been a display model instead of 28mm production figure :)

Golgfag1

If, I recall correctly most of the miniatures in the specialty box set were based upon the staff at the time - Griselda : Ali Morrison or maybe the wonderful Diana; Wolfhead : Steve Jackson; Ogbash Facesplitter : Tony Ackland & Agaroth the Unwashed : I leave to you to make your own conclusion?

Also, some of the 'C' series giants heads were also based upon staff members - take a look
http://solegends.com/citc/c028giants/index.htm

Paul / Golgfag1 :lol:

Ah, if we're just going on names rather than actual sculpts, then all of the original Imperial Army names were corruptions of GW Employees' names, apparently:

WD96p57RT05ImperialArmyx-01.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Hikks is probably Hicks from Aliens as well.
Olsen is probably Tim Olsen - store manager and later US sales manager.
Cottrell might be Tony Cottrell, of AT-ST titan fame (and is doing the new Adeptus Titanicus models for Forgeworld I think)
Morris - Graeme Morris? Dave Morris?

Regards female staff, Trish did the 1984 C38 Beastmen, but I don't know if that was freelance or employed. Lindsey de le Doux Paton (the future mrs. Priestley) was doing a lot of layout work and wrote some of the filler text things. So there's two girls off the top of my head. I think the front-page of Rogue Trader lists all the studio staff at the time.

Just looking through old WD's and saw this one:

WD838611p18Various-01_04.jpg

There's a certain Tom Kirby in the middle. Whether it's a sculpt of him or just the name, I couldn't tell you.

Andy H

Not especially old, but the Ogre Kingdoms pirate Maneater is a portrait of Pete Haines (who aside from writing the Golden Heroes rpg was a games designer at the time the first Ogre Kingdoms army book was being written and was hugely into them).

Back