Warhammer Quest

Chico

So tonight a group of 4 of us start are first ever Warhammer Quest game/campaign. For are first run we are just sticking to the basic 4 starter Heros (Dwarf, Elf, Wizard, Sexy Chico).

warhammer_quest.jpg

warhammerquestcontenu.jpg

What is everyone's view of this game? And does anyone have any pointers to make the first game run quite smooth?

I have fond (if old) memories of that game. It's been such a long time I can't remember any sage advice except to have fun. I'm quite jealous.

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":26a182iw said:
Chico":26a182iw said:
What is everyone's view of this game?

Never heard of it. What is it? looks like an Advanced Heroquest clone.

It very much is, except its mechanics are more closely related to the fourth edition rules and fluff than third edition, and, in my opinion, it is even more dungeon crawly than Advanced Heroquest. Still fun though!

Jimbobodoll

Hi there!

Do you have any idea as to how the mechanics of: purchasing/selling equipment, magic, and combat compare between Warhammer Quest and Advanced Heroquest?

On playing it again, I was disappointed with Advanced Heroquest in those areas you see. It felt like Jervis didn't put as much effort into these as he did into dungeon generation...

Love to hear your thoughts.

ardyer

Jimbobodoll":18hudfz0 said:
Hi there!

Do you have any idea as to how the mechanics of: purchasing/selling equipment, magic, and combat compare between Warhammer Quest and Advanced Heroquest?

On playing it again, I was disappointed with Advanced Heroquest in those areas you see. It felt like Jervis didn't put as much effort into these as he did into dungeon generation...

Love to hear your thoughts.

Oh man, it's been so many years since I played either, I couldn't honestly give any specifics. The "feelings" I remember were that AHQ was more like 3rd and WQ was more like 4th but I couldn't honestly give much more than that. If I remember correctly, Advanced Heroquest magic is pretty similar to third edition magic, but that might just be 20 years of impressions being merged together. I also remember White Dwarf articles on AHQ being of a wider scope to include more things outside of the Dungeon Crawl. The only thing like that I remember for WQ was an article for how to convert your character to WFB, everything else was new characters or new dungeon crawls.

Jimbobodoll

Thanks for the reflections! I hope I've tempted you to give them both a try? :) I'm sure lots of others would love to hear your thoughts

ardyer

Jimbobodoll":176c6vku said:
Thanks for the reflections! I hope I've tempted you to give them both a try? :) I'm sure lots of others would love to hear your thoughts

I could dig out my copy of AHQ next week, but I never owned WQ. I might be able to acquire the rules though and give them a read through, se what comes back.

To be honest, regular HeroQuest was always my dungeon crawling game of choice :grin:

Fimm McCool

Yay! Much as I love Heroquest for a fun day's gaming there's nothing like the development of a character over a series of Warhammer Quest games. I had to invent a system for doing similar in HQ. Dang, why did I ever get rid of WQ? Boo. Do show us some nice detailed quest reports with photos!

Chico

Played 4 games this evening and the first 3 we wiped out dew to Minotaur's and Spiders, the 4th game we managed to complete The Fighting Pits 1.6. It was fun but rather frustrating at the amount of random encounters we had at times.

Skarsnik

illuminatus":3cns2pbs said:
Many of you already might know but WQ is available for the ipad (newfangled Newhammer game on a devilish-tricksy device if you ask me) :shock:

and the new expansion comes out next week! Woohoo! Something else to distract me from painting, just what I need :grin:

Back