Dragon Warriors ad in WD?

knobgobbler

I've been plowing through my old White Dwarfs with no luck.
What I'm searching for is this small advert for the Dragon Warriors RPG. Back in the day I had no clue about the game and it never turned up on our local store shelves... but that ad always haunted me because it suggested a scary sort of fantasy. I remember that it mentioned how even its elves were scary because they 'have no souls!'

Can anyone steer me towards what WD might have that ad? Or maybe it exists as an image online somewhere?

It's kind of a silly quest, but now that I have the re-released version of the game I'd like to see that ad again and make the mental connection between the two.

Thanks,
K

It came out in '85 so I had a quick look. There was a teaser and competition in WD69, and a full page ad in WD71, if that's any help. Haven't looked any further to see if there was any more info tho.

If you need it I could take a photo of them tomorrow.

Zhu Bajie

The wiki has Dragon Warriors mentioned in issues 71 & 73 with a review in 74.

http://wiki.oldhammer.org.uk/w/index.ph ... ext=Search

The original books were published by Corgi - a paperback publisher, and they were distributed in bookshops, like Fighting Fantasy was, rather than through the games channel, which might be why it never appeared.

Its a nice game, slightly darker in tone than D&D but with a more early medieval vibe than WFRP renaissance.
Kind of wish I'd picked up on the Magnum Opus hardback editions a few years back.

knobgobbler

Thanks so much!
That full page ad is indeed the one that I'd been seeking. I guess it's silly to want to find an old advertisement.
I found it in issue 72 on page 41, though. I couldn't find it in issue 71. My older White Dwarfs are from the UK... does that alter numbering?

Thanks again for pointing me to it.

Zhu Bajie

Aha! Glad you fond what you were after.

I don't think they started to do different numbers for the international editions until quite late.

White Dwarf 71 has the same cover art Dragon Warriors Book 1 cover as a cover, the 'Box of Bones' adventure by Dave Morris, and a full page colour ad on page 59:

Attachments

• wd71_dragon_warriors_ad.jpg
    wd71_dragon_warriors_ad.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,346
Back