Poll of Warhammer Fantasy Army Coverage - 3rd Edition Style

What Warhammer Fantasy Army(ies) can you field a painted force of?

• Bretonnia

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Chaos

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Chaos Dwarfs

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Dark Elves

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Dogs of War/Mercenaries/Old Worlder

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Dwarfs

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Fimir

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Halfing

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • High/Sea Elves

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Hobgoblin

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Nippon

• Norse

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Ogres(Kingdom or ortherwise) and Giants

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Orcs & Goblins

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Skaven

• Slann/Lizardmen

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • The Empire

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Undead (Vampire Counts and/or Tomb Kings)

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Wood Elves

• Zoat

• Total voters

Just John

Re: Poll of Warhammer Fantasy Army Coverage - 3rd Edition St

Grumdril":e609g4ka said:
but not enough to field a Warhammer Armies-legal O&G force due to being about 50% short on goblin infantry

Bring out the inquisition one of our members has been infected by heresy

Grumdril":e609g4ka said:
On the other hand I have fairly few chaos but could field an unpainted, deeply cheesy (and probably a bit tactically hopeless) but Warhammer Armies-legal chaos 3000pt force

Twice in one post - quick someone help the poor man ;)

It doesn't matter if you don't have enough goblins for you goblinoids as Warhammer Armies is only a set of guidelines. I fully intend to have many variation of the army. It doesn't matter if it works or not (and possibly more fun if its tactically hopeless) as long as everyone has fun.

Orlygg

Just John":28s86vp0 said:
Grumdril":28s86vp0 said:
but not enough to field a Warhammer Armies-legal O&G force due to being about 50% short on goblin infantry

Bring out the inquisition one of our members has been infected by heresy

Grumdril":28s86vp0 said:
On the other hand I have fairly few chaos but could field an unpainted, deeply cheesy (and probably a bit tactically hopeless) but Warhammer Armies-legal chaos 3000pt force

Twice in one post - quick someone help the poor man ;)

It doesn't matter if you don't have enough goblins for you goblinoids as Warhammer Armies is only a set of guidelines. I fully intend to have many variation of the army. It doesn't matter if it works or not (and possibly more fun if its tactically hopeless) as long as everyone has fun.

We will have to issue a formal warning if such hideous practices are mentioned again upon our sacred forum! :lol:

Seriously, Grumdril you need to forget all that 'game legal/army list' nonsense like Just John said. Warhammer Armies is just a guide. Feel free to field what you want, when you want. As for tactical hopelessness? Play a scenario and then its the narrative that counts, not the outcome.

Jimbobodoll

couldn't agree more with the above two posters. It's all about generating a narrative (for which painted figures help for me) rather than any prescriptive "legal" lists.

As long as the two+ players agree that telling an awesomely amusing story (to which gross incompetence usually helps), then it doesn't matter one jot about the "legality" of each list. I'd rather leave with fond memories of a good time shared (and good stories brought to life) rather than who "won" or not.

:)

...Hence the additional armies that have been (and will be) added to the Opening Post.

Aside: I can't believe how many greenskin forces there are out there! I never realised how popular they were! With 62 forces-reported, the old greenies are clearly in the lead. (c'mon skaven!)

Erny

In fairness to Grumdril the first post asked about what armies could be fielded and then mentioned Warhammer Armies and made almost all the choices armies from war hammer armies. I'd go as far as to say he was answering the question as asked (even if not intended).

Besides there is room in oldhammer for those that want to collect to the lists, I do that, will always do that but also will happily adapt and change when I want too.

If the question is what themed armies can you make up with your collection then the list gets as long as you like for example my imagined army of the free city of Notul is but one of an infinite number of combinations. Here the dwarven, human and half-orc inhabitants form guard and militia units backed up by units of slave boarmen and the famed giant leech herders of the Notul sewers, all ruled over by the daemonic cult of Notul. They are also good for 2nd ed.

Grumdril

Thank you for defending my honour in my absence Erny :)

My point was meant to be that a chaos force can be very small, so it's easy to be able to put one together. I'd have something like 10 beastmen, 10 chaos warriors and then into the exotic stuff like manticores, minotaurs and trolls, so the points would soon stack up, however there's a good chance that it'd be tactically a bit useless. I like my forces to have some sort of internal consistency, so while it might be fun to try it out as a thought experiment it's not really an army I could claim to have (even without the painting caveat).

I'm putting together a force composed entirely of orcs at the moment, without fussing about WA, in fact I'm avoiding Black Orcs as not being sufficiently old school :) I will one day add goblins though, if only to give my fanatics somewhere to hide convincingly, plus I thought I might do a bit of a Kev Adam's tribute from various manufacturers.

Jimbobodoll

So at the moment, the most popular force/army/race is clearly Orcs and Goblins, followed up by the Undead and Chaos.
Together, these forces make up 36% of the poll responses.

Truly, Oldhammerers are a chaotic bunch! :grin:

Jimbobodoll

illuminatus":wvfhm5hf said:
Unfortunately I can't vote as none of my armies are painted :( However, in the future I will have Chaos (Malal themed) High Elves (really Melniboneans), Wood Elves, Green skins and possibly Chaos Dwarves.

I might have too many zoats for my woodies - what would an army of them consist of? I could make that my first painted army with a can of green spray paint :)

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure for most others: You (like everyone else) can have whatever "army" you want comprised of whatever troops and races you like - just so long as it's painted! :grin:

Loving the idea of Melniboneans and Malal armies personally. Awesome. Would you stick to the Melnibonean background as well? That'd be cool.

Regarding a Zoat Army, there were certainly some rules for them in 3rd, but I think only for a couple of units, so you'd have the fun of making up some rules for whatever else your mind could conjure up! Apparently (Wikipedia says), "[Zoats] were reintroduced, their background, appearance, and character almost unchanged... ...[in] the 2011 "Storm of Magic" supplement for the 8th edition of the game." So that might be a start for some more inspiration. Apparently Lizardmen fear them for unknown reasons as well... That might also be a hook for you, as might their "neutral" alignment in 3rd.... :grin:

Jimbobodoll

Wow, I'm feeling such 1980s Lead-Envy right now! :lol:

Such lovely sculpts - and such a different aesthetic to even 3rd edition sea and high elves. They seem 'elfy' in their own distinctive way (compared to high/sea) without crossing over into 'dark' or 'wood'. I'm sure they're all going to look amazing once painted up.

Must have taken some effort to get all those matching shields huh?

Are you using mainly washes/inks over the 2-tone undercoat?

Asslessman

Man I'd love to have such an army to paint it all black and brass with red spots here and there. this is one project I'm looking forward to seeing.

Asslessman

A technique I learntat my local hobby shop i svery close to what you did. To do big yellow armies rapidly, they spray everything brown with a zenithal spray of yellow on everything (slight angle spary too to reach a bit more parts) and then washes + final edgelining. It's very rapid and very good looking. I'll try to take pics this WE if their army is still on display.

Jimbobodoll

@illuminatus: Why not start a thread over in the WIP section for this army? Might prove motivating and I'm sure others besides assless and I would be delighted to see this army take shape: viewforum.php?f=20

Padre

I once got all my 'good guys' out of their boxes and put them out and photographed them. It took ages. They consisted of Empire, Arabs, Pirates, Dwarfs, Pygmies, Wood Elves, Dogs of War, Nomads (sort of DoW).

GoodGuysAll.jpg

GoodGuysPygmiesDogs.jpg

GoodGuysArabs.jpg

GoodGuysElvesDogs.jpg

GoodGuysEmpireDwarf.jpg

GoodGuysOldHorse.jpg

After all that effort, I never got around to doing the same for my 'bad' guys (O&G, Ogres, Skaven, VC, Zombie Pirates and fiddly bits of chaos). I may never do it. Putting all the good guys away again was a chore.

Chico

Wow nice lot of stuff there, enough to give King Kong lead poisoning :)

Jimbobodoll

Wow Padre!

illuminatus":2gs9g0zd said:
Wow indeed. This deserves it own thread in the Showroom forum.

I hope you have some unpainted too, you do know that you die when you paint your last one?
(But what's that Forgeworld Slann doing there? You should sell that and get some proper Slann with lobotomized human slaves to hold the palanquin, none of this floaty-nonsense ;) )

-=I=-

Couldn't agree with Illuminatus more: shows us more! :grin:

I'm casting my beady eyes over those photos and spot some classics: regiment of renown wood elves, sea elf bolt throwers, 3rd edition treeman relegated to treekin (lol @ the scale creep), 5th edition silver helms, some advanced heroquest halbadiers in the back maybe(?), and a mix of citadel horses for your human heavy cav ranging from 1980s to present day, 3rd edition elf cav. with the wing-ed back banners, and is that some pre-slotta stuff I see as well? Loving the Apeman Models as well I have to say.

Padre

The 'good' guys force has grown quite a bit since then, and I am currently working on 36 pike and 20 heavy horse plus sundries.

Maybe I will unpack the bad guys one day? I'm pretty sure once you factor in the skaven horde and the greenskins there will be as many figures as the good guys.

@ Jimbobodoll - amazed you noticed what you did. Yup, scale creep. Two of those guys are official treemen, the third is a twig. My bug treeman is a twig too. In fact my 30 or so dryads are all just twigs!!! The bark looks lovely, and some came with their own fungi. All you have to do is snap 'em and glue them to shape, adding a thorn or too! I didn't put the twigmen dryads on this table 'cos ... well ... they're twigs. Some of the other stuff you thought you spotted are actually converted historical miniatures.

The Fat Git

Padre you give good lead!

My painted armies (that are Oldhammery) are Skaven 5000+ points, wood elves 3000+, Chaos (10 knights can be nearly a grand) 5000+ I reckon, Dark elves probably around 3000 and my Empire (more like a fortress town on the border of the Empire and Brettonia) 3000 points. some of the painted stuff is atrocious though :oops: .

tancrede

For myself, I can field a bretonnian army, and an empire army with some Kislev allies.
But now, I'm starting a wood elf army to play as allies for my brets.

phreedh

None, I'm afraid. I have a decent skirmish lot of undead, with new stuff added every now and then. The opposition for this have been in form of villagers and hired mercenaries so I suppose I have a small contingent of Empire/DoW/Whatever. Two units of dwarf warriors of some kind. A sizeable warband of Dark Elves. Some chaotic barbarian types. A hand full of green skins.

I paint for skirmish gaming (Song of Blades & Heroes) so for me, the Oldhammer part consists mainly of fluff (we play in the Old World) and miniatures.

Back