Poll of Warhammer Fantasy Army Coverage - 3rd Edition Style

What Warhammer Fantasy Army(ies) can you field a painted force of?

• Bretonnia

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Chaos

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Chaos Dwarfs

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Dark Elves

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Dogs of War/Mercenaries/Old Worlder

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Dwarfs

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Fimir

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Halfing

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • High/Sea Elves

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Hobgoblin

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Nippon

• Norse

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Ogres(Kingdom or ortherwise) and Giants

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Orcs & Goblins

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Skaven

• Slann/Lizardmen

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • The Empire

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Undead (Vampire Counts and/or Tomb Kings)

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Wood Elves

• Zoat

• Total voters

Jimbobodoll

Hello everyone,

I've been pleasantly surprised to see that my love of 3rd edition Skaven (and White Dwarf 137) is well shared across the Oldhammer community (Nico, Snarsnikt!). With this in mind, I wondered about the popularity of all the various armies. Hence the poll here*, **.

Hopefully the results of this won't only provide interesting reading, but might also help to shape what larger events that we might run at future get-togethers.

Cheers!

Jim

*Unfortunately, only 20 options can be maintained by the poll, so of the 22 factions(!!) presented in Warhammer Armies 3rd edition, I've been forced to leave out two. For no good reason at all, I picked Half Orcs and Pygmies here. Just reply with a post if you've got painted forces of these though and I'll keep a running tally at the bottom of this Opening Post

**I also entirely realise that to some, the Warhammer Armies 3rd Edition Lists are entirely antithetical to the Oldhammer Spirit. Further, some armies are not, and cannot, be covered in a prescriptive list presented in poll-format (e.g. that fantastic looking Great Ape Army at the inaugural Oldhammer Day). To record these, you'll note the blank entries at the bottom of this post. Just as with Half Orc and Pygmy armies, if you've got a painted force, just reply with a note here and I'll update this Opening Post (If you've got it flaunt it!).

ADDITIONAL FORCES (Edit 1):
Half Orc: 0
Pygmy: 1
Others(individually named):
Arabs: 1
Pirates: 1
Undead Pirates: 1

Asslessman

Re: Poll of Warhammer Fantasy Army Coverage - 3rd Edition St

What a great joy to see Bretonnia and chaos on top of the poll...

My core army is chaos (both for WHFB and RT)
My Bretonnian army doesn't have many oldschool models but hey, in battle there is no law!

An undead army is on the way (at a building stage though)

Jimbobodoll

Re: Bretennia and Chaos being the first-presented options: All I can say is "The joys of alphabetical presentation!"

I hope that the "painted" addition is well--received by all(?)... It seems to be a widely-held belief that playing with painted armies is part of the Oldhammer Ethos.

Just John

Ask me this question in a few months and I'll add Halflings to the list. Poor things, under appreciated and over looked.

Asslessman

Jimbobodoll":3qkdbc6w said:
Re: Bretennia and Chaos being the first-presented options: All I can say is "The joys of alphabetical presentation!"
C'mon, you know it's more than this ;)

Jimbobodoll":3qkdbc6w said:
I hope that the "painted" addition is well--received by all(?)... It seems to be a widely-held belief that playing with painted armies is part of the Oldhammer Ethos.
Unpainted lead falls under 2 categories in my book :
- in the leadpile (including ebay, transport between 2 owners, etc...)
- on the painting range

Just John":3qkdbc6w said:
Poor things, under appreciated and over looked.
We all love halflings, it's just they're so small that when you stand next to them, you see above them without realising they're close to you.

Chico

My Painted 3rd ed armies are:

Undead, Chaos Dwarf, Fimir, Chaos

I have many other ''Modern'' forces though like Skaven, Night Goblins and Beastmen.

Don't get me started on my RT/2nd 40K armies :O

Jimbobodoll

If I'm reading between the lines of your post correctly Chico: There is and was no intent to limit the list to 1980s sculpts (hence the Great Apes Army List and all that).

I'm sure you could field your "modern" forces under 3rd edition, so why not check those options too?

Chico

Jimbobodoll":3l0b5can said:
If I'm reading between the lines of your post correctly Chico: There is and was no intent to limit the list to 1980s sculpts (hence the Great Apes Army List and all that).

I'm sure you could field your "modern" forces under 3rd edition, so why not check those options too?

I keep my new and Oldhammer separate for the most part, if I'm playing modern say 8th WhFB I'm in a totally different frame of mind as I'm more then likey at a tournament or playing to win with tailored lists. I do have some crossovers though such as my 'stealer Cult which is old figures build to use in 6th and my Chaos Renegades get gamed with in 6th 4ok too.

Asslessman

Chico":1xdu2foq said:
Jimbobodoll":1xdu2foq said:

I keep my new and Oldhammer separate for the most part, if I'm playing modern say 8th WhFB I'm in a totally different frame of mind as I'm more then likey at a tournament or playing to win with tailored lists. I do have some crossovers though such as my 'stealer Cult which is old figures build to use in 6th and my Chaos Renegades get gamed with in 6th 4ok too.

I get the different mindset depending on where and with who you're playing, hence the different army lists and all. But in the end, aren't your miniatures from 8th ed taylored list just as good as any to play a game of 3rd ed? (seriously I'm not picking on you, I just ask to understand) If it's because you build your armies around an army list, I can understand, otherwise I find it funny but hey, everybody has it his own way after all.;)

I collect models and then build army lists for every edition I'm likely to play but it's just another approach, in battle there is no law as we all know

Chico

Each of my solely ''Modern'' armies are tailored to win or be very completive if i wish, so best options only. For example my Skaven Army is 2 Hellpits and Grey Seer on Bell with Tarpit Clanrat/Slave units , not really a fun army to play against but its my 8th Big boy Tournament army.

Plus if I'm playing 3rd I play so for nostalgia I want to see old style figures at least from myself. If i want to play against old school style armies i need to live up to that ideal myself.

I think the best way to look at it (Thanks Jens) is that they are 2 different games.

Erny

Painted armies of at least 3000 pts all pre 4th edition miniatures:

Orcs and Goblins

Wood elves

Dark elves

Chaos

Chaos Khorne

Chaos Slaanesh

Dwarves

Empire (Majority released at the very end of third so more famous as 4th, this is changing as I get earlier sculpts painted.)

Undead

Small forces painted (much more unpainted):

Slann
Sea/high elves
Skaven
Brettonian

Mercenaries/allies painted:
Giants
Chaos allies (principally chaos dwarves and chaos centaurs bit can obviously borrow units from my chaos armies)
Norse (actual citadel vikings are unpainted, but foundry franks/saxons I have painted)

I won't bother listing what I haven't got painted but I have something for pretty much every page in that book except pygmies.

Grumdril

I sadly can't tick any options in this post due to the "painted" criteria, but hope soon (perhaps next summer!) to be able to answer Orcs and Goblins.

I'm planning to one day be able to field Dwarves + Old Worlders, and Gnawdoom's warband from Vengence of the Lichemaster. Acquisition of the (mainly) old figures at semi-sensible prices is hard enough, but far quicker than my painting...!

Grumdril":3gf78shn said:
I sadly can't tick any options in this post due to the "painted" criteria, but hope soon (perhaps next summer!) to be able to answer Orcs and Goblins.

I'm planning to one day be able to field Dwarves + Old Worlders, and Gnawdoom's warband from Vengence of the Lichemaster. Acquisition of the (mainly) old figures at semi-sensible prices is hard enough, but far quicker than my painting...!
Sadly, I'm right there with you. All my old painted stuff found its way into friends hands back in the early and mid 90's. Two of my Dragon Ogres were painted but I recently stripped those. Combined with the fact that I only have a mounted Chaos Knight or two it means that my oldhammer chaos force is probably too light to be a force at all!

Nico

Painted army 3000pts or more :
Chaos
Skaven
Dwarf

Mutantdale

Only a small force of undead painted so far.. now if it was unpainted armies that would be a whole different kettle of fish..

MD

Asslessman

Chico":1hv1sbu7 said:
Each of my solely ''Modern'' armies are tailored to win or be very completive if i wish, so best options only. For example my Skaven Army is 2 Hellpits and Grey Seer on Bell with Tarpit Clanrat/Slave units , not really a fun army to play against but its my 8th Big boy Tournament army.

Plus if I'm playing 3rd I play so for nostalgia I want to see old style figures at least from myself. If i want to play against old school style armies i need to live up to that ideal myself.

I think the best way to look at it (Thanks Jens) is that they are 2 different games.
Ok,never actually considered things this way (only built soft armies with models i like) but from this point of view, it makes perfect sense. thanks for the explanation ;)

Oh, and it makes me think about goblin lee who could tick every box plus five times more on slanns and goblins !

Orlygg

Undead? UNDEAD? Remove that Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts abomination from the glory of 3rd edition!

Here the undead are the undead. They can all field archers!

Padre

Painted armies (could use all in third, even if it meant making my own lists)

Empire
Arabs
Pirates
Dwarfs
Wood Elves
Dogs of War
Ogres
Pygmies (etc)
Undead
Undead Pirates
Skaven
Orcs and Goblins
Bretonnian

(A life wasted, eh?)

Jimbobodoll

Orlygg":2p889uqg said:
Undead? UNDEAD? Remove that Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts abomination from the glory of 3rd edition!
Here the undead are the undead. They can all field archers!

I didn't want to be discriminatory! I shall see about adding "Sea" to "High Elves" though.

I've updated the OP with Padre's excellent additional forces.

...Currently we have a 3 way tie for "most popular" shared between: Chaos, Dwarfs, and Orcs/Goblins

...And in a completely unbiased fashion can I ask for MOAR sign-ups to: G̶O̶A̶T̶S̶ SKAVEN? ;)

Grumdril

The Inner Geek":2wl33j4n said:
Sadly, I'm right there with you. All my old painted stuff found its way into friends hands back in the early and mid 90's. Two of my Dragon Ogres were painted but I recently stripped those. Combined with the fact that I only have a mounted Chaos Knight or two it means that my oldhammer chaos force is probably too light to be a force at all!

The silly thing is I have a fair few orcs and goblins, but not enough to field a Warhammer Armies-legal O&G force due to being about 50% short on goblin infantry. On the other hand I have fairly few chaos but could field an unpainted, deeply cheesy (and probably a bit tactically hopeless) but Warhammer Armies-legal chaos 3000pt force.

I'm tempted now to try - yet another side-track... :(

Back