Mini Ident Challenge: Eavy Metal WD79 - The Goblinmaster

Zhu Bajie

Well done everyone on the last Mini Ident Challenge! This next one really takes leadspotting to the next level.

'Eavy Metal in White Dwarf 79 was a showcase for the painting, modelling and conversions of The Goblinmaster - Kevin Adams.

Most of the photos in the article are labelled quite accurately, there's forthcoming Skullcrusher, Orc Boar Riders and many others. However, there are one or two which aren't. Some of these models are photographed from strange angles and tightly cropped, just focusing on the detailed and characterful shield designs - adding to the difficulty. To make matters worse, it's quite likely these have been converted - possibly with entirely new faces.

Photo 1 and Photo 2

• Photo 1: RR3 Croms Goblin Guard Champion
  • Photo 2: RR3 Croms Goblin Guard Trooper

Photo 3 and Photo 4

• Photo 3: Converted Asgard Orc
  • Photo 4: RR3 Croms Goblin Guard Leader

Photo 5

"Arcane Chaos Warriors" says the article...
  • Photo 5, C35 Preslotta Knight of Chaos
  • Photo 6, C35 Preslotta Champion of Chaos

I thought this was going to be tough!

Attachments

• wd_79_1.jpg
    wd_79_1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • wd79_2.jpg
    wd79_2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,763
  • wd_79_3.jpg
    wd_79_3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,763
As far as I know, photo 3 is a heavily converted version of this guy http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lost ... rd-or1.jpg and the image of the shield is Kev Adams Mum.

Is photo 1 the champion from Groms Goblin Guard?
c3p54rr3gromsx-01.jpg

and then number 2 looks like a trooper from the same set and even more possibly number 4 might be the leader from the back.

Number 5 is this guy (from an eBay listing)
s-l500.jpg

I assume he and his buddies are from CO1 but I can't find a catalogue page for them.
However having had a search about for them i realise that they are a cracking range and i may have to sell some space marines to finance a new obsession. Thanks ZHu. :roll:

Zhu Bajie

Cor blimey WP - that was fast, and accurate.

Unless you've got a source, I'll just have to take your word on the shield being Kev's mum :grin:

Challenge Complete!

+600 leadspotting points to Whiskey Priest for catching each of the figures.
+50 bonus mumspotting points for spotting Kevs Mum
+50 bonus gobbospotting points for recognising a gobbo from a photo of his elbow.

Fimm McCool

As an interesting side-fact, I'm pretty sure that Crom's Goblin Guard trooper is the base model for Kev's Ulg Bonechewer conversion:

s-l300.jpg

At least, it's the base model I'm going to use when I start that challenge next week! :)

Back