Mini Ident Challenge: Eavy Metal WD78 - Sector 306

Zhu Bajie

White Dwarf 78 - June 1986 - has the very first 'Eavy Metal article, taking over from Gary Chalk and Joe Devers long-running Tabletop Heroes. Not the parade of studio paintjobs the column would become, but - a report on the Players Guild Mega-City-One table for demonstration games of the Judge Dredd RPG. I think I remember seeing the tabletop back in Games Day 87, and a mightily impressive collection of spray-painted boxes it was.

Photo 1:
  • (Centre) Scratch-built vehicle (in Foundry Collection)
  • ???

Photo 2:
  • P1 Hitchicker in Dressing Gown Denizen
  • DW2 Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)SoL
  • G06 Gangster aiming pistol Sol
  • G08 Gangster standing with pistol Sol
  • G20 Moll with pistol Sol

Photo 3:
  • JD1 Judge Dredd standing & on Lawmaster SoL
  • NB. Slottabases as building decoration.

Photo 4:
  • JD2 Judge Anderson (standing) SoL
  • Ral Partha Allosaurus IWM

Photo 5:
  • Multiple GH2 Golden Heroes Supervillain (converted) SoL
  • JD43 Klegg SoL

Interestingly the article says there weren't many Citadel Judge Dredd Range at the time - so I think the judges are the early release JD1 - Dredd and JD2 - Anderson, and most of the other figures were conversions or from Citadels ranges of:

*Amazons
    *Troglodytes
    *Redemptionists
    *Orcs
    *Superheroes
    *Gangsters
    *Space Marines

Yes, I know the photos are small & not great, anybody got a clue what they are of?!?

Attachments

• EM_WD78_1.jpeg
    EM_WD78_1.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2,697
  • EM_WD78_2.jpeg
    EM_WD78_2.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 2,697
  • EM_WD78_3.jpeg
    EM_WD78_3.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 2,697

Plaiecivile

Well the dinosaur is now offered by Iron Wind Metals; Allosaurus [DF-445]

I have no idea about the other miniatures, but I had to point out on photo 3 the use of slotta bases to add structural details to the building ;)

Theres a Klegg on top of that ship so I'd imagine there are more JD figs in their than you might think. I reckon that second pic has at least one of the Angel gang in there.

Zhu Bajie

Great stuff guys! I've updated the original post with the information so far.

Axiom, that crawler is a really cool vehicle, and it's great to know it's being looked after, are their any other photos floating around on the inter-webs?
Daddyorchips, yes! These Plaiecivile - great spot on Satanus! Also nice to know it's still available. Whiskey priest - really good spot on the Klegg, I thought it might have been one of the converted Troglodytes, but the pose is spot on. It does indicate some time may have passed between the original Games Day Judge Dredd game and the photos being taken, with some new models being added to the collection. Not sure about the Angel Gang in photo 2, but I have just spotted Tom Bakers Doctor Who.

Just a few not identified yet, who is they?

Zhu Bajie

Excellent bit of munce spotting.

Photo 2 Guy at the top.

This one really bugged me. Having spotted Dr. Who, I wondered if it was one of the other Doctors with an unusual paintjob. No. But the paintjob, and the pose, the dressing gown, reminded me of someone...

6031179f5a0753ee78b7680c84bbfbb6.jpg

The name of the un-hoopy frood on the right, in his dressing gown, is Arthur Dent, he is a six-foot tall ape descendant, from the BBC TV series Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy (which you should watch if you haven't done so already). Pictured here with Ford Prefect, who is not from Guildford, Surrey, but from a small planet in the Betelgeuse system.

And after a bit of digging, turns out Denizen Miniatures produced exactly that (bottom left)

Khiff-P.JPG

and "P1 Hiker in Dressing Gown" is still available, along with Ford, Zaphod, Marvin and Trillian. Think I've got some shopping to do.

Another one down, but still a bunch of unidentified figs left.

Zhu Bajie

Everyone needs an Arthur Dent figure, almost universally useful.

Back in Photo 2. Citadel Gangsters. I never knew this range existed. Suppose they're useful for Call of Cthulhu or Gangbusters.

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... /Gangsters

• G06 Gangster aiming pistol
  • G08 Gangster standing with pistol
  • G20 Moll with pistol

That's photo 2 complete! Yay!

I think the only mysteries left are the figures guarding the spaceship in photo 5

Zhu Bajie

A Badger":2vcjmoof said:
WD78 was the first one I ever bought - I wanted to build a JD game board for years after. Loved the JD RPG - I remember writing some rules for Mutie PC's after reading the Perp PC article in WD90 (?) - with a mutation table that must have predated ROC :grin:

Aren't the guards also the same Golden Heroes Super Villain? http://www.solegends.com/citboxes/gh2villains/index.htm

You know what - I think you're right!

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/1/1b/GH_Supervillain_10.jpg

And yes, Perps were indeed in WD90 - the other WD Judge Dredd articles are listed on the wiki Never got to play Judge Dredd back in the day, but the article did inspire me to painting an old breadbin and some polystyrene with grey emulsion for 40k back in the day. Mine looked rubbish. lol! Mutie tables sounds great.

So I think that's Challenge Complete! (anyone gets anything off photo 1 it would be a miracle. So I shall now award Leadspotting points (100 for a mini, 50 for bonus material) for this challenge:

dieselmonkey +50 for Muncespotting
axiom +150 for vehicle spotting and supervillainspotting
Plaiecivile + 150 for dinospotting and slottabasespotting
whiskey priest +100 for Kleggspotting
Badger +100 for respotting supervillains in different paintjobs.

fuljason

ahhh! can't believe I missed this challenge, this is one of my all time favourite White Dwarf articles, it send my friend and I conversion mnetal back in the 80's so many decent miniatures got chooped and wrecked while building our own big Meg and it inhabitants.
J

Back