Questions about 40K Rogue Trader and 2e

Psychopomp

So, I started wargaming with GW back in '96. I started with Fantasy, and that put me getting into 40K at the tail end of 2e. I never really got into 2e, mainly because of the hand-to-hand system.

17 years later, and the Oldhammer movement spurs me to *really* look at Rogue Trader again - not as a historical curiosity but as a game I might actually play! Lo, the hand-to-hand system (and pretty much the entire game) is the 3e Fantasy style, so I'm highly intrigued. I've been looking more into things, and I've come up with a few questions.

I've looked over the Vehicle Manual, and I notice that the armor penetration formula for the weapons seems to be the same as in 2e. Given that the VM datafax system seems kind of clunky, and the 2e datafax system was one of the things I *did* like about 2e: How compatible is it to use the 2e vehicle datafaxes in Rogue Trader?

Also, how backwards-compatible are most of the 2e Codex entries with Rogue Trader (for the things that appeared in 2e but not RT)? Obviously, you'd need to assign Cl and Wp, but are the points values "close enough" to the Rogue Trader system - or is it worthwhile to back-engineer them using the RT points formula? (Naturally, these aren't considerations for scenario games, but it does help to have a rough points-value equivalency guideline from time to time.)

How about newer weapons introduced in 2e? Do they screw things up too badly, or are they fine to just port over?

As you can see, I'm looking to use the core book Rogue Trader system as a base, then cherry-pick in my favorite aspects and stats from 2e. I'm just hoping some actual RT-2e vets can lend me some of their experience and advice!

Orlygg

Rogue Trader is a funny beast. You see, there are three phases.

1) Pure Rogue Trader with just the rulebook.
2) Rogue Trader with the early supplements and WD bits.
3) Later period Rogue Trader using revised rules post 1990 (which was pretty close to 2e to be honest)

So really you need to think about where in that you want to place yourself, if you want to place yourself at all. You need to forget the need for army lists, the correct rules and all that tosh. Oldhammer is about doing what you want and freeing yourself from unnecessary bollocks. Its your game, play it your way. If I were you, create the game you want to play, pick the rules you think work best for the scenario ( and change those that don't) and get your mates around and go for it. See Rogue Trader as a tool kit, and build what you want out of it. Points values be damned!

Sorry, but I haven't answered your questions. There is no need. You know the answers already as its your game here.

Psychopomp

You're right. The points stuff is the wrong thing to be worried about. Let me try phrasing my questions in the most meaningful, condensed way:

Has anyone here ever tried porting 2e datafaxes and weapons into rulebook Rogue Trader? If so, how did it work out and what are the major pitfalls to watch out for?

Chico

My advice would be to just play 2nd Ed. Where as I do like very small games of RT, 2nd Ed is just a much better beast of a game for anything more the 20 figures and any tanks ect.

Asslessman

Warlord Paul":7ez6bqy3 said:
It may be that the best thing to do is start with 2e (excellent game, all compiled in the three books that came in the box) then add-in RT stuff like the close-combat rules, Gyrinx, Ambulls and background fluff etc. This way the points system holds up as a guide for scenario design. Any problems that crop up, the GM should use their knowledge of military matters, the players preferences and the background to create a solution on the fly. If you struggle to find a GM it's best to play as non-competitively as possible and encourage your opponent to have fun throughout with cool little bonuses for RPing.

My personal favourite way to play 40K at the moment is to treat it as an old school D&D style pen and paper RPG, with a few minis and some terrain to help out visually.

100% agreed,

If you feel like it, I suggest adding some confrontation as well, simple rules, plenty of narration and strong immersion power. Far more fun for small skirmish (though can proove a nightmare for bigger armies :) )

One thought I had in reference to compatibility of datasheets/stats between RT and 2nd ed is the unit stat changes.

Wasn't this when Space Marines notably because stronger/tougher than normal humans? Stat changes like this might make some items more or less powerful than originally intended.

That said, none of the previous posts are wrong. Put minis on table, roll dice, have fun. If any of those are giving you trouble, try adding beer. It's an awesome attitude lubricant.

Back