Stripping Miniatures

I have some C01 Chaos Fighters which I would like to strip. Normally I use Diall (B&Q) Paint & Varnish Remover for this purpose, but I'm sure I read somewhere that with very old lead harsh strippers can damage the metal. Is this true? I'm not overly keen on using Dettol because it stinks the house out for days afterwards! Any advice would be much appreciated.

If your not too fussed with destroying old toothbrushes, then good old acetone works great.

I've had a lot of success with acetone free nail polish remover too. Doesn't eat toothbrushes and strip's paint from plastic minis a treat.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

My preferred method for stripping is methalayted spirits (an ultrasonic cleaner does wonders to help things along). Only 99p per 500ml at home bargains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dettol has always worked for me, on both plastic and metal minis, but i recommend a wire brush rather than a toothbrush.

Gallivantes

daddyorchips":2wa9q8i7 said:
dettol has always worked for me, on both plastic and metal minis, but i recommend a wire brush rather than a toothbrush.
Does that work out ok without grinding down the figure? It sounds pretty hardcore to me.

Reminds me of what my dad used to say when we youngsters came back in the house after outdoors play time:
"Gosh you kids are dirty. I might just have to take you out the back yard and shoot the dirt off with the shotgun."

Just John

If you can get your hands on it then Simple Green is great. Environmentally friendly, smells nice and strips paint. Any hard to remove bits can be removed with a short dip in acetone free nail polish remover.

Gallivantes":1lztgetu said:
daddyorchips":1lztgetu said:
Does that work out ok without grinding down the figure? It sounds pretty hardcore to me.

i've never had any issues - wire brushes aren't that tough. i'd probably not use one on a nuln spearman, mind.

i use these ones, rather than seriously heavy duty stuff.

31%2Bt6ZbeziL._SY355_.jpg

Orjetax

I've used similar ones, also without adverse result to the miniature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardyer

I've got a bunch of the sets above. I mostly use the nylon brushes on models (the black bristles). I occasionally use the brass brushes on very tough spots, but I have noticed occasional marks. I would never use the steel brushes.

AcroRay

It was suggested to me by a mini sculptor I met that nylon & copper brushes were good for cleaning & polishing without damaging the surfaces of lead & soft-metal pieces. Here in the 'States, I've found a 3 pack of brushes used in the firearms hobby that come with two grades of plastic brush and a soft copper brush - each with a wider head as well as a tiny narrow head that works for fine details. To strip paint, I use an orange cleaner called "LA's Totally Awesome Orange Cleaner", which is similar to Simple Green but available in "$1 & under" stores. Not as powerful as acetone. But it is exceedingly gentle on plastic (I used it on old model kits as well as metal), can be worked with in the kitchen sink (wonderful de-greaser), and you can re-use it a few times for additional stripping duties.

Back