RT or 2nd edition?

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: RT or 2nd edition?

Here goes......

So I play both a lot. 1987 Rogue Trade is a completely different beast from 1993 Rogue Trader as the books (Compilation, Compendium, Astronomican, Siege, RoC, Battle Manual, Vehicle Manual) pretty much changed most areas of the game to a greater or lesser extent. So as previously said 1993 RT is essentially proto-2nd Ed. That being said it was a great game system and a hell of a lot of fun to play. I like the way that you can randomly generate everything so you can have some truly bespoke and individuals heroes. They are perfect for warbands or small skirmishes; and whilst it is scalable it does become a bit clunkier the more troops you throw into the mix. Let’s be clear..... I love Rogue Trader!

Second edition streamlines much of the content of Rogue Trader into a format where things are a bit fairer and armies will generally reflect the characteristics of their factions. So instead of randomly generating bits we now know ‘A Space Marine is this... and will usually do this’ whilst ‘A Genestealer is this... and will generally to this’. This makes the game easier to run competitively and ensures functionality without the need for a GM. So you gain consistency at the cost of slight individuality/customisation. This makes the game suited for small to medium skirmishes.... I have tried bigger but I’ll be honest it becomes a nightmare and you’ll just end up being sick into a bin after turn three. Let’s also be clear... I love second edition.

These days I usually use my own customised hybrid of the two system which seems to suit my needs perfectly!!

Hope this helps!
For retro sci-fi action visit my Oldhammer 40k Blog:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Legiocustodes wrote:
These days I usually use my own customised hybrid of the two system which seems to suit my needs perfectly!!

That's also whats known as forgetting what system/edition your playing and just fudging it ;)

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:02 pm

This might well also be the case.... because I’m GM I’m auto correct!!
For retro sci-fi action visit my Oldhammer 40k Blog:

http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Well, there's a big difference - RT expects a GM, and scenarios prepared by the GM and players, whereas 2nd doesn't expect a GM - and expects the players to List-build then bring-and-battle, the concept of a GM is entirely absent from the game design, and uses mission cards and whatever. Not that you can't GM 2nd, it's just not what the game is designed for, and it has a lot of consequences for the feel of the game.

Rogue trader is much, much more detailed in almost every aspect, from the rules for vehicles, flying, robots, equipment options. 2nd Edition tends to dumb down on everything to make it simpler, then adds a bunch of wacky random elements on top.

There are some major differences between the concept of the 40K universe in RT and that of 2nd Edition, one the most glaringly obvious is the dominance of Space Marines. In RT Eldar represent the most advanced, superior forces, in terms of ability and technology, and the Humans are a decaying crumbling mess, in 2nd Edition, Eldar are weaker, and Space Marines are the superior force. There is a distinct shift in focus away from a universe with a billion stars where anything, and everything can happen, to a much narrower focus on pre-generated, cookie-cutter armies clashing.

Similarities, the core combat mechanics are the same, although 2nd Edition fudges the math to make combat resolution slightly faster, giving less room for strategic play.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 pm

RT is also far more DIY-orientated and generally flexible, which is why you can use it to play 20-points-a-side cowboy skirmishes with 90mm models.

Hint: Vote for my entry in the Greatest Battle Report 2018 Competition. ;)
Previous

Return to General Discussions