GW Steampunk Dwarfs - Squat conversion potential

Orjetax

I pay no attention to current GW releases. But perhaps I need to change that.

I was alerted on the Space Dwarf forum to the following upcoming models from GW. I could see many of these being used as squats, some with no conversions needed.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/age-of-s...ell. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex

I must confess that my hate for AOS fluff and aesthetics grows with every release.

These new...dwarfbots have certainly some potential, but I suspect they'd look completely out of scale next to some genuine squats.
They'd make some excellent juggernauts :grin:

Orjetax

I am in agreement with you that these are a horrible aesthetic fit for fantasy.

At least as I conceive of the genre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symphonicpoet

Well, steampunk is an odd spot. More Victorian Sci-Fi than fantasy. The trouble is trying to mix that stuff, but to be fair, GW fantasy dwarves have long had a bit of the steampunk to them, at least in later editions and ancillary games. (Steam tanks, ironclads, and so forth.) These look like to me like nothing so much as characters out of a China Miehville novel. Which is sort of funny, as his work always felt to me as though it were inspired by GW. (Particularly chaos and middle to new hammer.) Maybe the feedback loop is complete. Probably always was, seeing as everyone's been ripping everyone else off since long before even Tolkien. Probably even before Gilgamesh.

Orjetax

symphonicpoet":3j802iwc said:
Probably always was, seeing as everyone's been ripping everyone else off since long before even Tolkien. Probably even before Gilgamesh.

An excellent remark.

symphonicpoet

Orjetax":33pe58xk said:
An excellent remark.

"Say, buddy. You from around here? That's a real nice myth you got there. Be a real shame if somethin' happened to it."

I might have plundered an older story for an idea once or twice. *glances around nervously.*

Orjetax

Biblical flood story bears striking resemblance to part of the (earlier) epic of Gilgamesh.

Some ideas are too good to not borrow.

symphonicpoet

True that. As I said, I might possibly have done this myself. (In a ballet for instance, based on a novel, bashed together out of the Orpheus myth and some GW influenced goblins and trolls with some green stuff to conceal the joins and the headswap.) And I'm sure Gilgamesh borrowed from earlier works. They're just . . . lost. But just because something is the oldest known fossil doesn't mean it's the earliest life. ;)

Zhu Bajie

Squats are space truckers with hoverboards, these look nothing like space truckers with hoverboards.

Although this
GAMA-KO-Skyriggers-Content.jpg

Does remind me of this, wot I did photoshop up:
file.php

:shock: :lol:

GAMA-KO-GrundstokThunderers-Content.jpg

and it's nice to see the motif of a dwarf with a bird on his shoulder

DW-06-1024x768.jpg

Jes Goodwin's 80's Asgard Dwarf Wizard from http://www.thevikingforge.net/DW-06.html

Oh God, Age of Sigmar is getting worse and worse XD .

Also, rulebook Squats are my favourite Squats. IMO making them into space vikings was the beginning of their end.

i think those look pretty neat. especially the weird floating balloon dwarfs.

i don't play AOS but i can see a few of those fitting into a 40k warband, perhaps as tech-savants or assistants to a rogue trader.

Useless for fantasy, obviously, unless someone run a Steampunk theme. Seen not through a fantasy lense, I find them weird and quite fantastic. Sure, too long-legged and maybe a clutter of details, but it is nevertheless an imaginative rebirth of Squats. At long last! I'll have to get some for my Squat army, maybe as an engineer's guild private army on the side of the converted Mantic Forgefathers and those 6th ed Dwarf bodies I converted into original Squats. Hobby omnivores get to enjoy lots of different styles.

They're certainly in their own sci-fi/steampunk/magitech niche and have nothing to do with classic fantasy as in Warhammer and Tolkien, but they're not horrendous for all that.

And most importantly, despite all the recent upheavals it is a sign of health that Games Workshop still has their Dwarf preference going strong. Magazine named White Dwarf, bar at Warhammer World named for Bugman the brewer, Dwarfs first army out for 7th edition before that edition even had hit. And Dwarfs last out of the official Warhammer Fantasy Battles run as the very last army book released before the End Times. Now in the strange setting of Age of Sigmar, they've already released two Dwarf armies, regardless of how useless they might be for WHFB.

I'm glad miniature producers like Avatars of War and various other minor companies will continue to shoulder the fantasy miniature (and more importantly the fantasy Dwarf!) niche now that Games Workshop is seemingly retreating from it. Oldhammer style model lines have an especially important role here, since the old metal Dwarfs up to and including 6th edition sported a ton of character, and some fun joker bits as well.

Back