Mighty Empires and narrative campaigns

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Mighty Empires and narrative campaigns

The original Mighty Empires rules provide a fairly solid and detailed set of rules for wargaming campaigning. My problem is the lack of narrative rules in it. I am planning to use the campaign as the basis of a narrative campaign with the simple task being writing a scenario for when armies reach. I was wondering if anyone has ideas for adding internal politics to Empires. From this I hope to linking the scenarios for battles and geography of the map to the Empires politics as well as being able to play reflecting the personality of the Empires characters. So a level 15 hero is not just the same as the next banners level 15 hero but will be known and shown to react differently.
narrativegame.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Mighty Empires and narrative campaigns

Back in the day, I ran a 3rd edition WFB campaign with rules I knocked together using Mighty Empires, Blood Royale and Warrior Knights. It revolved around warring dynasties fighting over territory, but there were six players, so there was a 'politics' phase where alliances were forged, and obviously betrayed, using both standard politics and alliances via marriages. It worked quite well.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

We played mighty empires a fair bit back in my youth, but we never bothered with the politics or narrative...too busy with trying to outwit our opponents :)

I thought about trying it again a few years ago, trying to meld ROC into it i.e. warbands & narrative, but it never made it past the idea stage.

I reckon making a random chart for politics and narrative for the original game would be quite easy. I mean, it wouldn't be quick, but should be fairly straight forward.

It's a great game. I hope to pay it again someday. Good luck with your endeavour :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Sounds interesting. I played Mighty Empires quite a bit back in the day, but we didn't often fight the top battles. When we did, I do recall some interesting characters developing as they won or lost and were captured/injured etc. I think that even without trying your characters and generals almost create their own personalities as the game progresses and you find yourself treating exactly same level characters differently because they might have been on the losing side more often than another!

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 am

Tuskerton wrote:Sounds interesting. I played Mighty Empires quite a bit back in the day, but we didn't often fight the top battles. When we did, I do recall some interesting characters developing as they won or lost and were captured/injured etc. I think that even without trying your characters and generals almost create their own personalities as the game progresses and you find yourself treating exactly same level characters differently because they might have been on the losing side more often than another!

Very true, your imagination takes over.....they cease to remain "just banners" :)
My Blog: Mr Papafakis
Stuff I'd like to have: Wishlist
Stuff I'd like you to have: Trades

Return to General Discussions