Rogue Trader and goofiness

I want to get back into 40k.
Specifically, fun, narrative, scenario driven 40k.
With a healthy dose of goofiness to take the edge off the grimdark.

It'll take me a while to get the baby into a regular sleep pattern, adjust my model collection and scenery and so on, but I'd like to be in a position where I could run scenarios for new people in the local college's gamer's society in September.
While I collect and paint some Arbites, Cultists (including Genestealer cultists) and post-apocalyptic street gangs with 80's hair and whatnot, I need to retrain my brain to re-include the goofy elements GW have been distancing themselves from since the days of Rogue Trader.

So as a backdrop for my scenarios, I was thinking of something like the following;

The planet Terra in Expansus Domitian is an Earthlike world in the Domitian Expanse. I like that the name has a vaguely Alexandrian Macedonian ring to it. An air of grandeur while also initializing as planet Ted. The initials TED also mean something else to me.
Shortly after getting into 40k, GDW started promoting Traveller New Era. A sci-fi rpg where the good guys of the Reformation Coalition fought Technologically Elevated Dictators. So I'm stealing that. Ted's governor becomes a Technologically Elevated Dictator, the TED of Ted, propped up with technological artifacts salvaged from high tech ruined settlements on the world.
But there is no reason to stop there. I'm hoping that I can basically write up scenarios as a confusing mess of TED's.*
Alternate TED's:
factions -
Temple of the Emperors Divinity - local church of the Emperor
Temple of the Extradimensional Dominators - a very different local church
Techpriest Explorarator Detachment - Techpriests investigating the high tech ruins
Temporary Emergency Divisions - local militia
Tribal Evolutionary Deviants - local beastmen populations
Terrorists Encouraging Democracy - government term for local rebels
Terminus Este Department - Governing body responsible for the Terminus Este District
Terminus Este Division - Branch of Adeptus Arbites responsible for security in Terminus Este District
Trading Eldar Delegation - Eldar traders
Tagmatic Eldar Division - Eldar Mercenaries employed by the TED of Ted
Terrestrial Eldar Degenerates - Low Tech Eldar exodite equivalents native to the planet
Telepathically Emergent Danger - term for a variety of psionic dangers, genestealer cultists, warp-entity worshipers and unregulated psykers.
geographic -
Terminus Este District - Imperial base of operations in High Tech ruins
Tintagel Economic District - Thriving business district
Tiber Ebro Delta - Flood delta of the Tiber and Ebro rivers. Near Terminus Este District
Tau Epsilon Delta - co-ordinates for Eldar ruins near the Terminus Este District
and so on.

* By Order of the T.E.D. of T.E.D.
You are hereby ordered to take a detachment of T.E.D. Arbites and rendezvous with loyal T.E.D. forces at the T.E.D.
The T.E.D. have requested aid due to an increase in T.E.D. activity.
You are to coordinate withe T.E.D. forces to eliminate all T.E.D. activity in the T.E.D.

Signed,
Theodolphus Emeritus Diomitan,
T.E.D. of T.E.D.

Every week the player will handed some variation of this and expected to chose their forces.
They can request more detail/clarification, but will lose victory points for wasting time and questioning orders that the dispatchers in local government think are perfectly clear given the context. (The actual context is, of course, secret to avoid panic, spreading knowledge of aliens and cultist activity and avoid giving information to spies).
Until they cry or threaten me with bodily harm.

I can't decide on my own if this constitutes an appropriate level of goofy.

phreedh

Well played Gallowglacht. InteresTED to see where this is going.

I had a wizard named Theodore of Constipa in a fantasy campaign. His friends called him Ted. Constipa Ted.

Feel free to borrow that... :grin:

Thanks Everyone for Donating Time to Engage in Discussing........ Gah!

Scalene":1x6w7i45 said:
Terrorists Encouraging Democracy is my favourite TED.

:)
Thinking a second time I regretted not choosing Terrorists Espousing Democracy as being a bit .... shiftier or something.
My third thought was to include both and more...
5341939+_1405ab2ebc654fbd5a3dffcb94d8233e.jpg

phreedh":1x6w7i45 said:
Well played Gallowglacht. InteresTED to see where this is going.

I had a wizard named Theodore of Constipa in a fantasy campaign. His friends called him Ted. Constipa Ted.

Feel free to borrow that... :grin:

Cheers :)

While I might not use it as personal names I think you may have given me a naming convention for cities and geographic locations on the planet.
That way I can have the population of the Civitas Infek fall prey to a genestealer cult and leave the clue right on the page.
Civitas Infek,
Terrain Expansus Domitian.

Perhaps there is a civil uprising in the capital Frustra, rampaging mutants in the province is Mu Tay, or a warp entity has taken over the temples and religions of Subterranean hives of Vir.

Titillatingly Eroticised Dorfs was a series of movies filmed hundreds of years ago on planet TED. Trade ships spread the films far and wide before society changed and a more morally conservative culture took hold on TED. The films are currently censored on TED and seen as an embarrassment.
The films are seen as cult classics on many worlds, attracting aficionados to make the pilgrimage to planet TED. To prevent half dressed, libidinous abhumans rioting in the streets they are show in discrete theatres away from respectable areas. Not all are in favour of this relaxation of censorship. Preachers Crilly and McGuire can be seen protesting outside these theatres holding aloft placards;

hqdefault.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Troubleshooter Emergency Deployment. Have a look at West End Games Paranoia - I think you might like it and find some additional goofiness to add to 40KRTED.

++ The Emperor Deity is Your Friend ++

Back