Realm of Chaos newbie

Well, I've printed my copy of "realm of chaos - slaves to darkness" and soon probably I will print another copy of "the lost and the damned" (but must find a complete pdf copy, that one I've found was missing some pages) while I'm looking to buy a copy of Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition on ebay. I'm planning to build and paint a Tzeentch Warband, using as a champion my miniature of Aekold Helbrass. There are option rules for play solo games with realm of chaos warbands? Here the players are few and especially for oldhammer stuff :(

I've yet many 1985-89 chaos warriors, champions some 1995 beastmen miniatures, some 1995 dark elf black guards, many kev adams heartbreaker goblins and orcs (not original citadel or marauder miniatures, but always with an oldhammer style) however I completely lack of thugs, hobgoblins and the other followers that I could need for a chaos warband... I've two nice 1998 blade maidens from Ral Partha Crucile that could be nice as witch elves followers.

here some of the vintage miniatures I own:

STA75390_zps2ad5ad24.jpg~original

STA75393_zps38dcc618.jpg~original

Hi and welcome. That is a nice collection. There are no actual solo rules per se. However I just use the rules as is, and play solo all the time. I only get to play against an actual opponent a handful of times a year. So a lot of my battle reports are me just messing around with my minis, and rpging the narrative. Hope that helps. Remember in Oldhammer there is no opponent!

knobgobbler

Maybe cobble up some random event charts to go off during the solo game... to simulate 'friction' or the presence of a GM. Something fitting the scenario and combatants. Nearby critters attracted by the battle, environmental effects/weather (strange stuff in the Realms of Chaos), the terrain shifting/reforming itself... potentially game affecting stuff that doesn't necessarily favor either side.

Thanks for the suggestions :grin:
I've tried to make my first warband, but I have some doubts, my champion start with two free rewards, He must choice the 4 chaos powers or could be a chaos undivided champion? I must use the chaos reward table for chaos undivided? I must still roll another random reward one more time after received the two starting rewards?

treps

If you are interested in solo wargaming I recommend you 3 books :
- Solo wargaming by Donald Featherstone
- Solo wargaming by Stuart Asquith
- Programmed wargames scenarios by Charles Steward Grant

This books while not Warhammer related at all contain a lot of stuff and ideas you should find useful for solo play (random deployment, random reactions, random force selection, etc.) and easily usable for any wargames !

Katsuhiko JiNNai you might be over thinking it a bit. Oldhamemr is about making the game do what you want. Especially if you are playing solo. Do whatever you want buddy! I pick whatever I think is cool and run with it.

airbornegrove26":k1jp2jbk said:
Katsuhiko JiNNai you might be over thinking it a bit. Oldhamemr is about making the game do what you want. Especially if you are playing solo. Do whatever you want buddy! I pick whatever I think is cool and run with it.

Maybe you are right, I must think as a chaotic follower, not as a follower of the lawful gods... there are NOT rules in the realm of chaos :twisted:

I read the example of play in lost and damned, seem I understand well and only two rewards for the champion and usually at least a roll for the retinue. However if I want I could choice my champion & followers, just roll their numbers.
I was planning for a starting Dark Elf Tzeentch Champion/sorcerer (my aekold helbrass 1994 miniature) and his followers of Dark Elves (my 1994 Death Guards), all painted in blue/yellow tzeentch paint scheme (maybe some tzeentch symbols in the death guards). So I should paint only about 2-7 miniature for my starting tzeentch warband.

Niibl

Re: AW: Realm of Chaos newbie

That's the spirit! You should be careful about starting a Tzeentch warband with 7 models though.:grin:

Well I created my first Tzeentch Champion and his retinue, I chose a Dark Elf Hero 15lvl
I wanted to try to roll on the random chaos attribute table and I was really lucky, because I earn the "Chaos Lord" attribute.
However after some rolls on it I considered the attribute too powerful for a beginner so I refuse it.

as wrote before, I will use my aekold helbrass 1994 miniature as the champion while my 1994 Black Guards will be his dark elves followers, all painted in blue/yellow tzeentch paint scheme (maybe some tzeentch symbols in the black guards).
The idea is that Moserath is a black guard renegade, converted to the lord of changes.

Moserath the Guard of Change, Champion of Tzeentch,
also know from the dark elves as "the Black Guard Renegade"
Dark Elf Hero 15
 MWSBSSTWIALdIntClWPPV
Moserath56544383129111075

Equipment 6 points: Double Handed Sword (2), Heavy Armor (3)
Mark of Tzeentch: Magic Item - Flesh Banner D6 hits at S5
Initial Attributes: Magic Resistant, Brightly patterned skin: single colour spots
Initial Followers: 3 Dark Elves

Aiteal

Try out the FECO AI cards for solo RoC games, they are designed for mordheim, but I like to use them with small RoC warbands solo, they work well enough with skirmish style encounters on boards with objectives (plenty of those in the RoC scenario generators)
I play through as one side using the feco cards then replay the scenario as the other side and average out the victory points to advance both warbands
The card's basic rules are at http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=320507
I've popped the doc on my google drive at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tRQhCBFBkhQTRhMlJaRjBoYXc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the nice advice. I have downloaded the pdf and will read it. :mrgreen:

Here another chaos warband I could planning to paint and use as enemy of the Tzeentch warband:
Chaos Undivided Champion
Human Hero 10
 MWSBSSTWIALdIntClWPPV
Undivided Champion45445243977775

Equipment 7 points: Double Handed Sword (2) Heavy Armor (3), bow with arrows (2)
Initial Attributes: Frenzy, Resilient
Initial followers: 6 Humans

I'm painting the Tzeentch Champion, maybe it will be yet ready in some few days for the showroom ;)

Back