Why don't we just make 'em? (Or, a list of things we want)

phreedh

Re: Why don't we just make 'em? (Or, a list of things we wan

Scalene":2yrp92zu said:
I was thinking about trying printing some weapons at Shapeways. However, the manufacturing process leaves 'banding' and I'm not sure if this would be too intrusive, even with Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD). Does anyone have any direct experience?
Print the sculpt, modify it by hand (smoothing areas, adding detail etc) and then cast masters for further lead or resin casting. Printing product isn't really an option yet.

Fimm McCool

Would the Ansells be open to a 'Bring Out Your Greens' at BOYL 2015? We could pay for the mould/s to be made and either bring a selection of greens voted for in advance to the event to leave with them (and watch the moulds being made?) or send them in advance and watch them being cast live before our eyes?

Dooz

A huge yes on rogue trader weapons. There only seem to be a good variety of pistols available. Would really like not to have to equip all my confrontation models with pistols

Mason

Fimm McCool":32dfouq4 said:
Would the Ansells be open to a 'Bring Out Your Greens' at BOYL 2015? We could pay for the mould/s to be made and either bring a selection of greens voted for in advance to the event to leave with them (and watch the moulds being made?) or send them in advance and watch them being cast live before our eyes?

That is bloody clever idea.
See if they are up for it...?

If not, it isn't too much of a stretch to put a single thing (mini, sprue, backpack) in a mould, run them off with whatever you are getting cast anyway and use the resulting castings to make a production mould.
;)

Fimm McCool

Mason":3a21l294 said:
If not, it isn't too much of a stretch to put a single thing (mini, sprue, backpack) in a mould, run them off with whatever you are getting cast anyway and use the resulting castings to make a production mould.
;)

No quite, if I happen to be having moulds done around the time we're ready I'll happily volunteer excess space. :)

Mason

Fimm McCool":2gd1nxn5 said:
Mason":2gd1nxn5 said:
;)

No quite, if I happen to be having moulds done around the time we're ready I'll happily volunteer excess space. :)

Righto!

Well, that makes two of us.
:grin:

smiler

Did I ever tell you guys I love you :)

On an unrelated note I could do with some backpacks for my slaaneshi renegades :razz:

Fimm McCool

smiler":1rq78co9 said:
On an unrelated note I could do with some backpacks for my slaaneshi renegades :razz:

My brain has filled with unfortunate images of what they might look like.... the banana boat returns!

smiler

You should welcome Slaanesh's inspiration and get sculpting :razz: you can keep s/him waiting!

Scalene

I've been making some greens and casting them up myself. Just had a go at casting my second cultist, this is one of the better ones (although none have come out perfect). My main problem is mould breakage - in the latest pair of moulds, one lost a bit on the second cast, and the other on the sixth. I'm using plenty of talc and easing them apart slowly - I even filled in some tight indentations the second time I made one of the moulds, but it's still a problem. The rubber I'm using is Polycraft HT-3120 and it seems quite brittle. I bought some other silicone rubber in the 90s, but I haven't got the reference any more - it came from GE, and I'm sure it was stretchier. Even the old moulds I have seem more flexible (and less prone for bits to break off). Does anyone have any brands they recommend?
cultist2.jpg

Fimm McCool

I use Silastic mainly. It has several different catalysts available for various shore hardness and setting times. Bentley Chemicals also do some good rubbers. I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of casting from Silicone though, especially in metal. The moulds don't tend to last long. I'm planning on getting a vinyl tank and setting up to cast in resin, that way I can do larger models myself and run my own masters to send for production moulding in vulcanised rubber.

axiom

I was looking at those the other day Zhu - they're nice, but there is no RT style autogun. Yes, you could proxy, but I would love the real deal (even the now OOP Necromunda weapons sprue autoguns don't match the RT designs)

Although I've managed to stockpile a modest number of spares, i often find things like plastic horse tails, wolf tails, boar tails, boar tusks etc are a bugger to replace. Also, old style shields with cool bosses, emblems, or just blank for some sweet freehand or decal action.

Ummmm what else Santa? Oh, maybe some squat-sized weapon sprues with mini-chainswords, powergloves and power axes. And special weapons scaled to the little guys too, like meltaguns and plasmaguns.

So to summarise:

Plastic animal replacement parts
Old style shields
Squat-scaled close combat weapons
Squat scaled special weapons

Zhu Bajie

axiom":tzcqic0g said:
I was looking at those the other day Zhu - they're nice, but there is no RT style autogun. Yes, you could proxy, but I would love the real deal (even the now OOP Necromunda weapons sprue autoguns don't match the RT designs)

Yeah., there's no neuro-disruptor either, and the las/bolt guns/pisotls aren't 100%. It's a vast universe tho' and those STCs get corrupted sometimes :)

Erny

phreedh":fgrzezox said:
Scalene":fgrzezox said:
I was thinking about trying printing some weapons at Shapeways. However, the manufacturing process leaves 'banding' and I'm not sure if this would be too intrusive, even with Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD). Does anyone have any direct experience?
Print the sculpt, modify it by hand (smoothing areas, adding detail etc) and then cast masters for further lead or resin casting. Printing product isn't really an option yet.

I've had stuff back from shapeways with no banding and fine detail, it just depends which plastic you go for. Naturally this costs...

Fimm McCool

Just been to the foundry I use to drop off my greens for the Oakbound kickstarter. They had some very intricate 3d printed models with excellent detail and no hand-work. Which makes me a bit sad but is also very impressive. Anyhow, they said a year ago you maybe couldn't have done it, but this is fast-moving technology.

cheetor

For what its worth I would love to have access to squat arms that are moulded with the weapons attached to both arms. Assembling metal or plastic squats with anything larger than a pistol or sword almost inevitably looks ridiculous and takes ages. A single piece option could mitigate that.

I am far more interested in a squat made out of two components than a squat made from four.

Chico

Hmmm so maybe a Squat..er..er Dorf arm/weapon sprue would maybe be a good option to include in a certain Evil Space Dorf range...maybe heh

Fimm McCool

cheetor":c5r5hv5u said:
For what its worth I would love to have access to squat arms that are moulded with the weapons attached to both arms.

I think that can be managed...

Back