WHFB 2nd Edition Chaos Army - Beastmen Raiders?

King Arthur

Fellow Olhammerers!

I was amassing my pre slotta Chaos models last night in to a proposed army, I have enough of the C34 Beastmen Raider Cavalry models to field a unit of 7, they are such cool models that I would like to know if any Stats/Points Value were ever released for them? In the 2nd Edt Bestiary there is nothing and in Ravening Hordes nothing?

Also, Chaos Goblins, sadly not mentioned in 2nd Edt but I have all the C27 Chaos Goblin models plus lots of C12 Night Goblins, so could field a big unit, but in terms of legitimacy would a Chaos Goblin unit be 'allowed' in a 2nd Edt Chaos Army?

Cheers

Gary

zoggin-eck

Nothing in Ravening Hordes for beastmen cavalry, so just point them up yourself (if you're using points) if you like. Pretty freaky horses they are, would you use horse or chaos steed rules?

For the goblins, why would anyone not let you use them in a chaos army? Go for it. No rules in Ravening Hordes, though I guess I'd just use normal goblin rules. Perhaps a single mutation?

Aiteal

Chaos goblins were a unit choice in 3rd edition Slaves to Darkness iirc.
At the end of the day, you're fielding goblins with unit/dominant attributes and viola, same with the raiders, beastmen, add the points for mounts, throw in a few dominant attributes.
I can't see any oldhammer player being so anal as to want colourful units with old school minis beiged down to fit in 'the rules'.

Zhu Bajie

The other guys have it, the raiders are just Beastmen on Warhorses.

2nd Edition is very open regards Army lists, you're really not restricted in any way, so if you want Goblins and Beastmen alongside each other you can, just whatever makes sense to you. Ravening Hordes is totally optional (and wasn't even published for the first two and a half years that the game was out).

For your Chaos Goblins, I'd use The Mark of Chaos from the 1st Citadel Compendium: http://www.solegends.com/citcomp1/citcomp1060-01.htm and roll a different attribute each game.

Sounds like a really nice army.

King Arthur

Thanks all for the insight!

Beastmen mounted on a Warhorse sounds perfect for the Raider Cavalry and I also have a C33 Chaos Lord mounted on a Culchan to lead them! The Culchan is such a cool model that it fits really well in the overall look!

Also regarding the Chaos Goblins, I have cross referenced all the stats and the points between normal gobbos and chaos ones, in both 2nd and 3rd edition and they are identical in terms of stats of points, so that was an easy transition ;)

What I am looking (have) at is:

Chaos Knight
19 Chaos Marauders
(All of the models will be from the C01 Chaos Fighters range)

10 Chaos Warriors (Pre Slotta C35 models)

Chaos Champion on Culchan
7 C34 Beastmen Raiders

Zygor Snakearms
47 Chaos Goblins

Chaos Warrior (Pre Slotta C35 model)
31 Beastmen (all models are Runequest Broo)

6 Chaos Hounds (C22 Pre Slotta models)

6 Chaos Hounds (C22 Pre Slotta models)

Chaos Sorcerer on Warhorse (Fantasy Adventurer model cant access SOL at work for a true reference, but it is the model that featured in Bryans Chaos army in Warhammer Armies)

I lined them up last night on the table and it was a good sight to behold :lol:

Thanks for the link Zhu regarding the attributes ;)

Best Regards

Gary

Asslessman

Damn that's an army I'd like to see ! Youshould have given us a pic of that !

Splendid composition and references so get painting ;)

King Arthur

Asslessman":3bb0wetw said:

Splendid composition and references so get painting ;)

And you will see it mon ami ;)

I will try and find my spare camera though, as the Wife is on Holiday with the kids still and has our digital camera with her...... ah hindsight.......

It's quite a compact army as all Chaos ones are, but offers speed with a punch in the Hounds and Raiders with some heavy hitting infantry to follow up in the centre and a large body of gobbos to occupy the enemy :grin:

King Arthur

Asslessman":1d5kzknl said:

Picture time :)

Army Shot

hwjv29.png

Close ups of the different units:

34g3pk0.png

2vkxesm.png

svqsn7.png

15cj98k.png

28sub.png

2csawq1.png

16jecgp.png

xbdan5.png

24xm7vk.png

5yb4vd.png

rripli.png

2qte5is.png

se213k.png

Not the best quality but gives you an indication of the models used at least :grin:

Still missing 4 Chaos Hounds and 13 Chaos Goblins which I have secured via a private trade and are on route and I'm still debating on what models to use for the Hounds Handlers :?:

Now I need to get painting I suppose ;)

Cheers

Gary

Asslessman

An impressive army for sure !

What a choice of references. Now THIS is an army on which I'd be ready to spend a whole year to get it pianted as it diserves (and requires to be honest, details on thi sold lead are not as crisp as we'd wish).

Thanks a lot for thse pictures Gary, i'll be looking for updates on the painting with much interest. I only have a few references amongst those (all broken) but seeing such an army makes me want to spend some quality time with them.

King Arthur

Thanks for the comments guys :grin:

I do love the pre slotta Chaos and they are my preference over the slotta versions (personal preference only) as I love the look and feel they have of a 'warband'.

My ideal 'dream' is to get this lot painted and attend BOYL 2015 with them...........

One must have a dream :lol:

Aiteal

Fantastic collection :)
Difficult to get, but the chaos battering ram discipline master would be perfect for the hounds.

King Arthur

Asslessman":2xx3153s said:
An impressive army for sure !

What a choice of references. Now THIS is an army on which I'd be ready to spend a whole year to get it pianted as it diserves (and requires to be honest, details on thi sold lead are not as crisp as we'd wish).

Thanks a lot for thse pictures Gary, i'll be looking for updates on the painting with much interest. I only have a few references amongst those (all broken) but seeing such an army makes me want to spend some quality time with them.

Mon ami! Painting has begun ;)

First pictures up in the WIP forum :grin:

Cheers

Gary

Back