The "How to do Oldhammer" Thread

A few more done:
1.img.14028005541-P6140212.JPG

2.img.14028005541-P6140213.JPG

3.img.14028005541-P6140215.JPG

0.img.14028005541-P6140210.JPG

The obligatory ramblings here:

http://leadasbestosblog.blogspot.com/

Hope you like them! I may just finish some day... ;)

Never to late to join this one. It is one of those long-term projects that will probably ramble on for a good long time yet.

@ SpaceCowSmith - very nice work on those tiny Slann :)

@ LeadAsbestos - cool looking Norse.

All right, we're going in. Plan is to do some Orcs who are falling to Chaos -- the kind of thing you could easily get in Realms of Chaos but are unlikely to see in modern Warhammer. To begin with, I have converted up a Chaos champion to be the leader for this little force. Obviously, he is the most advanced in his adherence to Chaos. His followers just think he is a bit eccentric, but well 'ard.

He is mostly bits from the bits box -- the model I started him with is a Mantic Orc and costs 99p direct from Mantic or, practically speaking, a lot less on eBay. I believe I got 15 of these guys on LAF for £8?

Anyway, here he is in his rough form. I haven't named him yet, and there's some filing and puttying to do, but you get the picture.

HsHGl7JkUn39ZgNxP2feHRVvK8qthqa1qduVlTklc9k=w371-h534-no

whiskey priest":owcx6ncu said:
Great start! Chaos orks are a rarely spotted beast so it'll be interesting to see how these turn out.

I have actually decided instead to randomly roll him a 20-strong Chaos Retinue from RoC. Fortunately, it did produce some orcs, as well as humans, beastmen, Skaven and a sorcerer. Now I just need to find some cheapo examples of these (other than the humans, which I have got covered).

Oh Lord, the sorcerer's got Levitation. Time to get out those flying bases ...

OK -- champion and sorcerer converted, 5 orcs and 5 humans converted, 5 skaven acquired. Now I just need a rat skull to convert my skaven champeen and for the beastmen to arrive, and I'm good to go. Progress photos soon.

OK -- these guys are puttied up and ready for priming. This is the first half of the project.

20140717_214637.jpg

Group shot.

20140717_214706.jpg

Human cultists: Gripping Beast dark age warriors with a mixture of GB heads and GW flagellant heads, plus various shields and so on.

20140717_214730.jpg

Orcs! Mantic Orc marauders with chopped up arms and weapons from various sources.

The GB models work out at around 50p a go, while the Mantic orcs are something around £1 each or maybe a little less. I personally paid even less for them, but if you were coming in cold I think you could do my whole entry in this thing for less than £20.

Paint on first cultists. Looking at the photo, I think the faces need a little something extra. Still, I'm pleased with the shields, particularly my first proper Oldhammer faces on shields.

EugEw7igzvHc2M0RfcvTpNXNWki6Oc1MzmAJnHQ7w5U=w859-h553-no

phreedh

Looks great James! Love the crocodile headed orcs. Remind me of some of the great old orcs of '88 catalogue fame.

You are doing a great job of showing what can be done with easily available plastic kits. I can't wait too see them all ranked up in units.

First squad is complete. I have finished the champion for the human squad, so he's ready to be painted as well, and I'm at work on the Skaven squad. My standard bearer is going to take a little while longer, though, as I've decided that it's not proper Oldhammer Chaos without a really exciting standard. Anyway, here are the completed Orcs. Each squad leader has a skull for a head -- at least, all the ones where I can find a skull. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a good Skaven-sized rat skull bit?

GF-TlZSoDwwS4_GPteqIEbuZAbfSZqD6PBn7SzUq1A8=w1044-h420-no

Their bases are not done yet -- I am going to wait until the end and do everyone's bases together in order to create more of a feeling of uniformity. I have so many different types of model here that I really have to force them to be similar using the paint jobs and the basing. The Orcs are the hardest, but I've tried to use the leader's armour to echo the shields of the human squad.

Back