Stupid question time...

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 am

Stupid question time...

Hi All,

Just a couple of quick questions about Warhammer for you - although I've played a lot of 40K I've never even seen a WFB rulebook in the flesh. However I'm feeling the urge for a bit of fantasy of late and thought I might pick up a copy....

If I wanted to play a few small skirmish games with a handful of characters (I hate painting large armies), and maybe chuck a bit of magic about, would I be alright with just the 3rd edition rulebook, or would one of the earlier editions be better? If i did go for 3rd are their any other supplements I'd need or does the rulebook contain it all?

likewise I've been looking at a first edition copy of Warhammer Fantasy roleplay - is it much different from WFB? I've never actually played an RPG and I wondered if it was worth looking into.

Cheers and thanks in advance for the advice.

Stuart
Stuart Templeton

I may not be good but I'm slow!

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am

Re: Stupid question time...

portman wrote:If I wanted to play a few small skirmish games with a handful of characters and maybe chuck a bit of magic about, would I be alright with just the 3rd edition rulebook

yes

Portman wrote: or would one of the earlier editions be better?

1st edition is more geared towards skirmish. as a rule of thumb, as a editions progressed, they became more focused on larger forces.

Portman wrote: If i did go for 3rd are their any other supplements I'd need or does the rulebook contain it all?

no, from 1st to 3rd, everything required to play is in the main rulebooks.

Portman wrote:... is [WFRP] much different from WFB? I've never actually played an RPG and I wondered if it was worth looking into.

yes, role-playing is substantially different to wargaming.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

https://bit.ly/2m5gfAo

https://bit.ly/2TczEfY

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 am

For small skirmish games, Mordheim could be worth a look, it's fun and quick to play, we tend to use it for skirmish play.

GW gave the rules away as a free pdf, so they're ok to legally download. a search for 'Mordheim pdf' will get you to the Broheim page which has them.

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 am

Mordheim is our go-to skirmish rules set too. Easy enough to tweak it for settings outside the Warhammer world as well.

I'd be happy to answer questions on rules, warbands, settings and so forth, should you go down the Mordheim route.

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 am

Thanks for the info Gents!

I'll go ahead and get a copy 3rd then - although I'll check out Mordheim as well - I have to say it's not one I'd heard off.
Stuart Templeton

I may not be good but I'm slow!

Return to General Discussions