Introductory Scenario

Where we talk of the upcoming Oldhammer Fanzine

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Introductory Scenario

Here's my effort for the fanzine - crit and suggestions more than welcome.

Indio Anjones and the Barrow of Doom
Last edited by Thantsants on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Introductory Scenario

You need to make it public otherwise we cannot acces it.

Bruno
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Oops - sorted now I think :oops:

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Yes that's fine now, and this is a very good scenario !
Buy new miniatures with an oldschool feel on http://vialudibunda.com

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Great scenario Steve! For me, an even more basic one would be of use. I'm talking REALLY introductory. This is nice for a group who have a GM with a firm grip of the rules. I'm talking about a way to get going quickly either solo or as a pair, in a straight slugfest. Human infantry vs orc infantry, no funny business (like magic or special troops). A few characters, some missile troops. Yes, these are easy to work out on your own but as most of us are REAAALLY busy with our family lives and don't waste all day on forums, blogs and in man caves it could be nice to have a really quick pick up and play intro kit. I'm thinking Oldhammer for Dummies. Eadbashing 101. Introductory class to crumpin.

I'm very intimidated by the WHFB 3.0 book. It has LOTS of pages of rules. Makes me noggin 'urt, it does.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Makes me noggin 'urt, it does.

Ah bless your cotton socks! ;)

Fair point though matey, as 3rd ed. has been my bedtime reading for many a year I kind of assume a level of familiarity that maybe isn't there for newcomers.

I think this would still make a good introductory scenario, especially if we put in another article about gaming without a GM? Ideas on a postcard - basic rules for how monsters and 3rd party units and characters move and react during the game.

We could also include a small addendum to the rules we're writing up, in the form of a really simple scenario along the lines of your suggestion. Suggested troops, stats for them, victory conditions and a basic story line of Orc hunting after a raid on the Human village or something like that.

I've also been thinking of putting together some very basic magic rules for BLOOD too, which would be nice to include and enable folks to include magic in the Indio Anjones scenario.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Righto - how's this for a really basic scenario.

It could be further slimmed down if its a bit long to shoehorn in onto the end of the rules.

The Battle of Wunoewun

What are people's feelings on including this as part of the rules and in addition to the Indio Anjones scenario?

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:42 pm

NEEDZ MOAR RULEZ! ha!

Both are really good.

Thantsants wrote: I think this would still make a good introductory scenario, especially if we put in another article about gaming without a GM? Ideas on a postcard - basic rules for how monsters and 3rd party units and characters move and react during the game.

Alternate players take control, and play them in accordance with their given motives? Seems simple enough.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 am

Yup - its the way I usually play it. Just wondered if there were any other bright ideas out there that weren't as hideously complicated as the dice tables for movement and reactions I also had brewing in the back of my mind.

I'd also be interested in how people get round things like 3rd party units that need to be hidden from both sides, random monster encounters and suchlike.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am

Most of those things are covered by good honest sportsmanship, anyone willing to cheat a friend playing these games is no Oldhammerer.

Great scenario, lots of fun to be had there.
Next

Return to Oldhammer Fanzine