Oldhammer fanzine issue 1

Erny

So to start things rolling over here how about a run down of what people are doing:

OK here are some thoughts on what I hope will be issue 1 of Oldhammer Fanzine, we can debate the exact name on another post. I think we should keep it simple and get issue 1 out relatively soon say beginning of September. I’m going to be optimistic and assume there will be later issues too, so here is a list of articles I’d like to include in issue 1 and some idea of the size they probably ought to be. The loose theme for this issue will be introductions.

1)       A great cover would be awesome, anyone got a great picture they’ve drawn/painted, digital or analog that they would like to see on the front? Perhaps the golden Gobbo?

2)       Hitting the nail! I had thought we should include a mission statement, what is Oldhammer but then I realised it could well mean something different to different Oldhammerers. Fair enough we can accommodate all. Then I thought perhaps it should be an editorial by myself the closest thing we have to an Ed but I think we should be more democratic. So here is the plan I invite different Oldhammerers to, “Hit the Nail on the Head” with their one paragraph description of what Oldhammer is to them. Perhaps three of these paragraphs on 1 page per issue (aren’t I optimistic) would not be overly indulgent.

Perhaps also answer  any of the following one word/line questions to be printed along side:
Name:
Collections/Armies:
Favourite Mini:

Anyway get your paragraphs to me and I’ll knock it into a regular feature. Be good to include Zhu in the first set as he coined the term…

3)       Introductory scenario Thantsants. 1 or 2 pages. Ideally we could have counters on another page for this scenario.

4)       Collector’s corner Steve, Erny can help if needed. I think it would be great to outline the bare minimum to get into Oldhammer. How much for a rule set? What’s the cheapest way to get a useable vintage force, (warhammer regiments springs to mind). Are there any other outlets than Ebay?) 1 page should be fine.

5)       ‘evy ‘ammers: painting section Nico & possibly orlygg. How to begin to get that old school look. Or painting old school minis the new school way. I’m open to ideas, to be honest orlygg’s post about paining shields recently would be great. I see no problem using old blog posts as the basis of an article, having a print or PDF copy of them would be very useful. A couple of pages of this would be fine. Hopefully we can have more contributors to this in the future.

6)       Golden Gobbo competition results, orlygg. 1 page

7)    Review: Erny. A look at some of the recent  new old school minis. No reviews of minis given for free, only purchases by the reviewer.

8)       Bonus scenario, Bruno, 1 or 2 pages.

Illustrators who have pledged support and may like to sign up to provide at least one maybe more illustrations to an article:

Knobgobbler
Mattthew Monster
Erny (possibly, I’ve got my B in A-level art you know!!)

Additionally .Fimm and Thanthants have offered to help proof read and possibly edit.

If I have left any thing off sorry not intentional please correct bellow.

Thantsants

Yup, be glad to get the old red pen out and help edit.

On the scenario front - Erny did you get my email with the first draft attached?

I'll need to de-GW it a tiny bit - think there are a couple of references to Tileans - could easily become Zaragozans if I'm right in guessing they are Orlygg's equivalents from his map?

The other thing I'd suggest is firming up the BLOOD statline - then I can include stats for the two factions. If we can get some kind of beta version of the rules into the first edition of the fanzine then folks could dive straight in and play the scenario, either with the counters or their own minis.

I've heard back from Knobgobbler, who's very kindly agreed to illustrate Sr. Anjones and his mercenaries and do a map of the Barrow.

HeadnHalf - if you're still up to do some illustrations give me a shout - not sure whether my emails went through or not? Could still do with the main map, an illustration or two of Anjones' opponents and possibly the inhabitants of the Barrow.

Got a load of other scenarios sketched out for future issues if that's the sort of thing we want to be featuring regularly.

That's all for now!
Cheers
Steve

Blue in VT

I would be happy to edit as well if you need another set of eyes on the text.

Also I will gladly share some of my pictures of WK and Clam dwarfs for the look at old/new school minis. Let me know what you would like.

Cheers,

Blue

treps

Blue in VT":3m1bv97u said:
Also I will gladly share some of my pictures of WK and Clam dwarfs for the look at old/new school minis. Let me know what you would like.

Both of them, they are really nice miniatures !

There are also the ones from Crooked Claw and those from 4A miniatures, and of course (shameless plug) there are mine too ;)

Bruno

Thantsants

I've got some painted pics of the first release of 4a goblins and most of his Sea Demons - rest of them have been undercoated for far too long. :roll:

Would be nice to see these smaller companies promoted.

Nice work by the way Treps!

Great ideas Spikehead - those Chaos Dwarfs look very nice.

Erny

I'd be more than happy to include reviews of other old hammer miniatures but will only do it for stuff I have bought myself, it makes the review more truthful I feel. I currently only have WK and otherworld, though I'm reasonably sure some of the other great indies out there will make there way into my colle toons eventually.

I also see no problem with other people to write reviews but on minis they have bought please.

From the suggestions made I can't see there being a bad review.

Army show cases have been mentioned before and is a great idea. What would be the ideal format, an interview with the collector or an article written by the collector?

There is a lot to do and I guess we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew. Also save some stuff for next issue....

Oh and somebody go for it with Kev Adams we should come up with the questions we would like to ask just I case. I found an issue of anvil magazine the other day in my dads loft. From the early '90s it has an interview with Kev after he had just started at heartbreaker could be an interesting comparison if I can get back to get it in time.

treps

Erny":irz7p0mh said:
I'd be more than happy to include reviews of other old hammer miniatures but will only do it for stuff I have bought myself, it makes the review more truthful I feel. I currently only have WK and otherworld, though I'm reasonably sure some of the other great indies out there will make there way into my colle toons eventually.

I also see no problem with other people to write reviews but on minis they have bought please.

From the suggestions made I can't see there being a bad review.

Army show cases have been mentioned before and is a great idea. What would be the ideal format, an interview with the collector or an article written by the collector?

There is a lot to do and I guess we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew. Also save some stuff for next issue....

Oh and somebody go for it with Kev Adams we should come up with the questions we would like to ask just I case. I found an issue of anvil magazine the other day in my dads loft. From the early '90s it has an interview with Kev after he had just started at heartbreaker could be an interesting comparison if I can get back to get it in time.
I have no problem with the fact that the reviews are better if made by the people buying them !

For the Kev Adams interview some of us are in touch with him and it wouldn't be a problem to have one, I also have the old anvil magazine with Kev's interview, I just have to put the hands on it to scan it ^^

Bruno

I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a bit - is this still going ahead? I have some time now to write a "collectors corner" bit.

cheers
Steve

Erny

Yes sure is, i should put out a message ascing for things to start coming in.

If you could write a collectors corner from an introductory point of view, what are the bargins to get your collection started? Are there any sort of auctions to avoid, what can you tell from a simple photo on ebay?

That sort of thing would be great. Later articles would be very much up to your good self but we are themed as an introduction to Old hammer for issue 1.

Orlygg

I better get on my my expanded Arcane Armorials article then. Wow, how time has flown on this project!

Willmark

A word of advice guys?

Since I have a small bit of experience with these (those at CDO will get the joke) you have to have something with sufficient strength of will to drive this. No kidding there needs to be laser like focus or it will waffle.

That said good luck.

Hetz

Willmark":2pgci3z9 said:
A word of advice guys?

Since I have a small bit of experience with these (those at CDO will get the joke) you have to have something with sufficient strength of will to drive this. No kidding there needs to be laser like focus or it will waffle.

That said good luck.

If you're saying you're up for the challenge, why not put some ideas forward?

Harry

Willmark":1k0xc526 said:
A word of advice guys?

That said good luck.
I don't disagree. I was involved in The Watchman magazine with a few other guys on warseer and you do need to be very tight to make it all come together and get an issue out.

However we are in a different situation here. There is so much incredible stuff being churned out on the blogs that if you only pulled together the top 10% of what is being written every month by the key blogs leading this 'movement', together with a bit of original material you could bang out a really focussed bumper issue every month.

Now I know lots of folks here follow each others blogs and so for some there would be stuff they had already seen ... but for many others who do not follow fifty Blogs their would be lots of stuff they had not seen and it would be great promotion for these Blogs.

For me all this started on just a few individual Blogs ... inspiring us, motivating us, reminding us ... I would still look to the authors of those same blogs to do all of this and in so doing continue to steer all of 'The oldhammer movement' in the right direction.

Asslessman

Harry, I think you ar eright. The audience we can have here and on the blogs is not the same and it would probably not be the same with a webzine too.
I have to say the watchamn has been an excellent magasine which really inspired me and got me back in the hobby.
There's no bettera motivation than to see other lads doing incredible stuff with not much.

Though I would be very intersted in writing articles from time to time, I will definitely not have the time nor skill to run such a project.

Harry

Asslessman":1y9tlvvt said:
I have to say the watchamn has been an excellent magasine which really inspired me and got me back in the hobby.
There's no bettera motivation than to see other lads doing incredible stuff with not much.
Wowsers ... I didn't know anyone else had ever read it. :grin:

zoggin-eck

I'd be happy to add some content, if anyone is interested.

As a suggestion, keep the first issue really simple as a test. Something manageable. Perhaps like, "everyone interested submit a single page of content". As said, with the quality of blogs out there, those same people could easily write up what would otherwise be a blog entry, pretty it up a bit and call it a page.

Harry":2ouwqmp8 said:
Asslessman":2ouwqmp8 said:
Wowsers ... I didn't know anyone else had ever read it. :grin:
Hey, I did, too!

Just John

I'd be happy to have a go at the editing/format side of things - for the 1st issue anyway. Zoggin is right though start small and let it grow other wise this will never get off the ground.

zoggin-eck

I just think that projects like this can get out of hand. Even simply asking for a single "before and after" battle photo and a paragraph of text could be a realistic alternative for people who are daunted at the idea of a full battle report (I know I would be).

Padre

I should be able to contribute something. Those of you who have seen my stuff here and on other forums (I don't blog) will know I churn stuff out, but not ill thought or haphazard. I put effort in! A list of the sort of contributions we want would help give direction to my efforts.

Back