Oldhammer fanzine issue 1

Where we talk of the upcoming Oldhammer Fanzine

Moderator: Moderators

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Oldhammer fanzine issue 1

Well knowing Erny he is after pictures/art of Goats and goat related fluff ;)

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Donpimpom wrote:
Erny wrote:the main problem for this was not lack of content but lack of illustrations.

Maybe I can help you on this point, my current portfolio doesn't show any sample for this genre, but on my rookie years I published art for lots of game magazines and game publishers in europe and the US, so, I can dare to say I know the ropes.
What exactly are you after?

I guess article specific illustrations, a scenario for example could do with well drawn maps, generic pictures of the forces that face each other and or specific illustrations of the narrative.

General filler illustrations to divide up text only pages. You know the sort of thing daemon heads, shields maybe a picture of an old hammer...

If we were aiming for recurring features we would perhaps consider illustrative elements to be repeated for those features, including titles, in magazine characters, thinking the white dwarf and black goblin here but maybe the golden gobbo and war goat are more our style..

Anyone enterprising enough to do a comic strip harking back to the days of Gobbledegook or Thrud would win huge admiration.

If any of those sort of ideas strike you as interesting let me know. If you have any ideas yourself let me know. I'm not really sure how much it is polite to ask to be done out of nothing more than love for the hobby but with enough illustrators involved this becomes a real interesting prospect.

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Is this project still going ahead?

I'm a fledgling writer and would be happy to contribute some fluff.

As an example of my stuff I started a wargames blog here http://wargamesdispatches.blogspot.co.uk/ about a RoC/3rd Ed Narrative campaign I was running (still am, but it's been a while since the last battle)

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah If this isn't dead then I'd be happy to help. I can layout Print and pdf stuff and i am a proper Illustrator too.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 pm

OK. I'ts been a few years, so I hope Erny doesn't mind a slomo-hijack. The kind of thing I'd be interested in producing would be a 32 page, black and white, A5 print only zine. Aim to get the price at around £6.

Content would be largely "stuff you can use at the table", so, for example...

* random mutations tables
* magical weapons
* unique troop types
* weird scenery rules
* scenarios

That kind of thing. Possibly short fiction, comics or fluff text. Original content only. Contributors would recieve a copy of the issue they contributed to. After issue 1, if demand was established then contributions would be paid for, although the budget would be limited.

Anyone interested in making this happen drop me a pm.

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:42 am

£6 for 32 pages in A5 black and white? :o

And people say WD is expensive these days!

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Skarsnik & Old Lead wrote:£6 for 32 pages in A5 black and white? :o

And people say WD is expensive these days!

Not as expensive as buying a 1980s 24 page black and white gaming zine (eg) these days :o

If you want free Oldhammer content, there is epic acreage of digital content out there that will fulfill your needs, and heck if you want to spurge £150 quid for a 200 pages of black and white in Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned, you can do that too. The zine will be something different.

That said, I'm not working to final print and distribution costs at the moment (hopefully both covered by the cover price), so if I can get it under, and at a quality I'm happy with then I will - but it still won't be 'cheap' - think of it as limited edition art game zine, rather than as a competitor to GWs advertorial.

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 pm

I have a few things to keep busy for the couple of months to come but past that, I'm really motivated to commit.
Be it to stat and write the background for some of the models built within the community or to recreate new scenario packs and all, there's a good chance to combine talents here to make things greater than the sum of its parts.

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:15 am

OK. I've had a fair few folk get interested in doing some stuff, which is great!

Some people asked for a bit more steer, so I have put together a brief set of guidelines for contributions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sp2mpw25p1k2 ... s.pdf?dl=0

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Zhu Bajie wrote:OK. I've had a fair few folk get interested in doing some stuff, which is great!

Some people asked for a bit more steer, so I have put together a brief set of guidelines for contributions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sp2mpw25p1k2 ... s.pdf?dl=0

It's a great shame about the "no miniatures photography" - would that definitely lead to legals issues Zhu? :(
PreviousNext

Return to Oldhammer Fanzine