Oldhammer fanzine issue 1

Zhu Bajie

Citadel Collector":1fu7zx7c said:
Zhu Bajie":1fu7zx7c said:
OK. I've had a fair few folk get interested in doing some stuff, which is great!

Some people asked for a bit more steer, so I have put together a brief set of guidelines for contributions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sp2mpw25p1k2 ... s.pdf?dl=0

It's a great shame about the "no miniatures photography" - would that definitely lead to legals issues Zhu? :(

It's a fair question CC, and the answer is "probably not". The legal grey area I want to steer away from is where some element of a miniatures design may be considered a trademark by a trademark owner is reproduced and then subsequently used as a lever against the publication. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm trying to second-guess what might be considered a trademark, or incidental use, or derivative work or a parody - that way madness lays!

I completely see where you're coming from. It's just a shame. Eye-candy - particularly vintage painted eye-candy - is always a joy to see in publications.

Zhu Bajie

Yeah, a full colour hardback tome of glossy miniatures photography a la "Heroes for Wargames" would be a fantastic project, but that's kind of a different beast to a retro gaming zine, and comes with it's own aesthetic, materiality, production, legal and ahem cost issues. I'm sure we'll find lots of other ways to blow peoples minds while keeping true to the old school spirit.

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":2qw3qbtt said:
Citadel Collector":2qw3qbtt said:
Zhu Bajie":2qw3qbtt said:
OK. I've had a fair few folk get interested in doing some stuff, which is great!

Some people asked for a bit more steer, so I have put together a brief set of guidelines for contributions:

It's a great shame about the "no miniatures photography" - would that definitely lead to legals issues Zhu? :(

It's a fair question CC, and the answer is "probably not". The legal grey area I want to steer away from is where some element of a miniatures design may be considered a trademark by a trademark owner is reproduced and then subsequently used as a lever against the publication. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm trying to second-guess what might be considered a trademark, or incidental use, or derivative work or a parody - that way madness lays!
Trademarks should be no worry. Most places have very short renewal periods on trademarks and you're required to keep using them in trade.

Copyright would be more of a concern.

Zhu Bajie

ardyer":1mgwjo1i said:
Zhu Bajie":1mgwjo1i said:
Citadel Collector":1mgwjo1i said:
Zhu Bajie":1mgwjo1i said:

Trademarks should be no worry. Most places have very short renewal periods on trademarks and you're required to keep using them in trade.

Ah, but people can claim unregistered trademarks for all sorts of things, and not infringing other peoples copyright is kind of a given. Basically if you want to write a scenario for Conan™ the Barbarian, don't. Write one for Sigurd the Barbarian instead. On the visual side, don't reproduce someone elses character design or markings, make up your own cool stuff - everyone is happy!

airbornegrove26":1mgwjo1i said:
Very nice. I will get cracking on some ideas I have had kicking around.

Ah great, I'm really looking forward to seeing your stuff!

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":31ndjasb said:
ardyer":31ndjasb said:
Citadel Collector":31ndjasb said:

Ah, but people can claim unregistered trademarks for all sorts of things, and not infringing other peoples copyright is kind of a given. Basically if you want to write a scenario for Conan[TRADE MARK SIGN] the Barbarian, don't. Write one for Sigurd the Barbarian instead. On the visual side, don't reproduce someone elses character design or markings, make up your own cool stuff - everyone is happy!

airbornegrove26":31ndjasb said:
Very nice. I will get cracking on some ideas I have had kicking around.

Ah great, I'm really looking forward to seeing your stuff!
un-registered trademarks are usually limited to injunctive relief. So the worst they can usually do is "stop doing that!" Plus, they still have to prove they have a trademark in it, even if it's un-registered. So if they're not using it in trade, they get no mark.

Zhu Bajie

ardyer":3iutmoz6 said:
un-registered trademarks are usually limited to injunctive relief. So the worst they can usually do is "stop doing that!" .

Well yes. Somebody's lawyer saying "stop doing that!" would be a right PITA, and some people have previous on being trademark bullies, so let's avoid all that nonsense from the get-go. Easily done, no real loss to anyone, and more creative opportunities.

Anyway, are you up for contributing something?

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":3umiobf7 said:
ardyer":3umiobf7 said:
un-registered trademarks are usually limited to injunctive relief. So the worst they can usually do is "stop doing that!" .

Well yes. Somebody's lawyer saying "stop doing that!" would be a right PITA, and some people have previous on being trademark bullies, so let's avoid all that nonsense from the get-go. Easily done, no real loss to anyone, and more creative opportunities.

Unless you want something in ip law right now, I've got a 4 month old at home that sucks up all my time :lol:

Zhu Bajie

ardyer":39u47wk4 said:
Zhu Bajie":39u47wk4 said:
ardyer":39u47wk4 said:

Unless you want something in ip law right now, I've got a 4 month old at home that sucks up all my time :lol:

OK, I'll put you down for a scenario involving a Cleric of Law and an insanely-cute temporal warping chaos monster ;)

tp_1983

I must say I'm looking forward to this.

I think you've made the right call to keep focus tight. We all have a different take on Oldhammer and there are thousands of blogs out there that all take a slightly different approach. That's cool, my blog only touches on it tangentially. But by keeping the fanzine hardcore oldhammer it will be something different.

I must get on and get my submission done, deadlines have a habit of sneaking up on me.

What are your plans for the front cover?

Zhu Bajie

Yes. I'm hoping it will be something quite singular, and 'hardcore' (in more ways than one) but successful enough to warrant further issues.

The front cover? There are some amazing artists and illustrators who really "get it" and have offered their skills and uniquely warped visions which I'm really excited about, and a few others I hope to get on board as the project develops. With any luck there will be a few full page art pieces.

Definitely looking forward to reading your piece - the sooner the better ;)

ardyer

You might want to contact Confusion, he's got a couple of great scenarios that he might be willing to wrote up for inclusion.

ardyer

Zhu Bajie":38dxty3w said:
ardyer":38dxty3w said:
You might want to contact Confusion, he's got a couple of great scenarios that he might be willing to wrote up for inclusion.

Cheers man, is that Forum Member Con-fusion? if so I'll drop him a note :)
Yea, that's him. He's in a painting/building frenzy right now so he's not been around much.

Zhu Bajie

Yeah it's still going on!

There are lots of things going on behind the scenes as it were. If you're interested in contributing something or otherwise get involved, drop me a PM or email zhu.bajiee@gmail.com - Cheers!

Zhu Bajie

Bump!

Just a quiet reminder that the deadline for articles is the end of this month (september)!

Really excited to see what everyone has been working on, and it's not too late to jump on board :)

Back